Mason Mount is an English professional footballer who plays as an attacking midfielder for Premier League club Chelsea and the England national team.
Despite his young age of 24 years, Mount has already established himself as one of the most exciting talents in English football. He is known for his technical ability, work rate and eye for goal.
Mount rose through the youth academy at Chelsea and made his first team breakthrough under manager Frank Lampard in 2019. He has since become a key player for both club and country.
Mason Mount’s Early Life and Career
Mason Tony Mount was born on 10 January 1999 in Portsmouth, England. He developed a passion for football from a young age and joined the Chelsea academy at the age of 6.
Mount progressed through the various age groups at Chelsea and was part of the youth team that won back-to-back UEFA Youth League titles in 2015 and 2016. He made his first team debut as a substitute in a League Cup tie against Derby County in October 2017 aged just 18.
In 2018, Mount joined Eredivisie side Vitesse on a season-long loan where he made 39 appearances, scoring 14 goals and providing 6 assists. This spell in the Netherlands helped accelerate his development.
Breakthrough at Chelsea and England Call-Up
Mount returned to Chelsea for the 2019-20 season and was given his first team chance by new manager Frank Lampard. He seized this opportunity, making 53 appearances across all competitions and establishing himself as a key player.
His performances earned him a first senior England call-up in October 2019. He made his debut as a substitute against Bulgaria, becoming the first player born in 1999 to play for the Three Lions.
In his first season at Chelsea, Mount scored 8 goals as he helped the club qualify for the Champions League. He was named Chelsea’s Player of the Season for his impressive displays.
Continued Success at Club and International Level
Mount has continued to excel for Chelsea over the past few seasons. In 2020-21, he played an integral role as the Blues won the Champions League for the second time in their history.
At international level, Mount was part of the England squad that reached the final of Euro 2020, finishing as runners-up to Italy. He started in the final and scored in the round of 16 win over Germany.
In the 2021-22 season, Mount registered 13 goals and 16 assists in all competitions as Chelsea lifted the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup. He was nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year award.
To date, Mount has made over 150 appearances for Chelsea and earned 32 caps for England. At just 24 years old, his best years are likely still ahead of him.
What is Mason Mount’s Net Worth and Salary?
According to reports, Mason Mount’s net worth is estimated to be around $12 million as of 2024. The majority of his wealth has come from his lucrative playing contract with Chelsea.
Mount reportedly earns a salary of $5.5 million per year at Chelsea. This makes him one of the highest paid young players in the Premier League.
His net worth is expected to steadily grow over the coming years through his salary, performance bonuses, and endorsements. Top players at big Premier League clubs can earn in excess of $15 million per year.
As Mount’s reputation and profile continues to rise, so too will his commercial appeal. He already has sponsorship deals with brands like Adidas, EA Sports, Beats by Dre and Huawei.
Mason Mount’s Playing Style and Key Attributes
- Excellent technique – Mount has superb control, touch and dribbling ability, allowing him to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Vision and passing range – He can unlock defenses with incisive through balls and is an excellent crosser of the ball.
- Work rate – Mount works tirelessly when out of possession to win back the ball. He also presses intelligently.
- Movement – His intelligent runs in behind defenses and ability to find pockets of space make him a nightmare to mark.
- Finishing – Mount has an eye for goal and can finish well both inside and outside the box with power or precision.
- Versatility – He can play anywhere across the front line or in an advanced midfield position. This versatility makes him a great tactical asset.
Career Statistics and Records
- Youngest Chelsea player to appear in the Champions League (2019)
- Youngest Chelsea player to score in the Champions League (2019)
- Youngest Chelsea player to reach 50 Premier League appearances
- Fourth youngest player to debut for England (2019)
- Youngest England player to start a World Cup knockout match (2022)
- UEFA Champions League: 2021
- UEFA Super Cup: 2021
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2022
- UEFA Europa League: 2019
- England National Team: Euro 2020 runner-up
Mason Mount’s Family and Personal Life
Mason Mount was born in Portsmouth but grew up in the town of Portmore, England. His parents are Tony and Debbie Mount.
His father Tony was also a footballer who played for Millwall and Leyton Orient. He is currently a coach at Chelsea and has been instrumental in Mason’s development.
Mount has one sister called Claudia. She is a keen cricketer and has represented Sussex Women’s cricket team.
Mount is in a long-term relationship with girlfriend Chloe Wealleans-Watts. She is a model who has worked with brands like Dolce & Gabbana.
Off the pitch, Mount has cited Frank Lampard as his biggest role model and inspiration. The Chelsea legend managed Mount during the early stages of his career.
He has a close friendship with England teammate Declan Rice. The two played together in Chelsea’s academy from the age of eight.
Mount is reputed to be a down to earth, hardworking and family oriented individual. He stays out of the media limelight and focuses on his football.
Mason Mount’s Achievements and Legacy in Football
Despite being just 24 years old, Mason Mount has already achieved a great deal in the game. His key achievements and legacy to date include:
- Establishing himself as a key player at one of the biggest clubs in the world in Chelsea.
- Becoming a core part of the England national team setup and one of the most exciting young English talents.
- Winning the Champions League with Chelsea in only his second season as a first team player.
- Reaching the final of Euro 2020 with England while still aged only 22.
- Earning individual honors like Chelsea’s Player of the Season award.
- Playing an integral role in Chelsea’s Club World Cup triumph, highlighting his performances on the global stage.
- Becoming one of the most complete, versatile and tactically intelligent young midfielders in Europe.
- Displaying exceptional technical quality, work rate and decision making that belie his age.
- Handling the pressure and expectations on his shoulders with maturity.
- Emerging as a leader on and off the pitch.
At just 24, Mount’s career is still in its infancy. If he continues on his current trajectory, Mount is well on his way to becoming a Chelsea and England legend. His humble personality and commitment to self-improvement also make him an excellent role model for young players.
Mason Mount has already achieved remarkable success at a young age, but his career still likely holds even greater heights. His technical quality, work ethic, and winning mentality have seen him establish himself as one of Europe’s most exciting talents.
Mount has proven he can compete at the highest level, winning the Champions League with Chelsea and starring for England on their run to the Euro 2020 final. Despite his rapid rise, he remains grounded and driven to keep improving.
If Mount can maintain his current upward trajectory, there is no limit to what he could accomplish in the game. He has the potential to cement himself as a Chelsea and England legend for years to come. For now, fans will eagerly anticipate seeing what the next chapter holds for this prodigious young midfielder.
At just 24 years old, Mount’s story is only beginning. His journey so far has shown all the hallmarks of a player destined for greatness.
FAQs about Mason Mount
Is Mason Mount related to Chelsea owner Todd Boehly?
No, Mason Mount and Todd Boehly are not related. Boehly is an American businessman who purchased Chelsea FC in 2022. Mount is an English footballer who came up through Chelsea’s academy system. The two are not family relatives.
What number does Mason Mount wear for Chelsea and England?
Mason Mount wears shirt number 19 for both Chelsea and England. He was given the number 19 jersey at Chelsea in 2019 after impressing on his breakthrough into the first team, and has worn the same number for England since his senior debut.
What position does Mason Mount play?
Mount’s primary position is as an attacking midfielder. He is capable of playing centrally as a number 10, on either flank, or in a slightly deeper midfield role if required. His versatility, work rate and tactical intelligence allows him to be deployed effectively across various roles in midfield and attack.
How much is Mason Mount’s release clause?
Mount’s current contract with Chelsea is set to run until 2024 and does not contain a release clause. The club holds the power when it comes to negotiating any transfer fees. Given his importance to the team, Chelsea would likely demand a transfer fee upwards of $100 million if he were to leave.
Who are Mason Mount’s sponsors and endorsements?
Mount has endorsements and sponsorship deals with several brands, including:
- Adidas – Mount has a boot deal with Adidas and regularly promotes their products.
- EA Sports – He featured on the cover of the FIFA 21