Lena Headey is an English actress who has had an extensive career in film, television and voice acting. She is best known for portraying Cersei Lannister in the HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones. With her acclaimed performances across various mediums, Lena Headey has amassed an impressive net worth over the years.
What is Lena Headey’s Net Worth?
According to multiple sources, Lena Headey’s current net worth is estimated to be around $9 million as of 2024. The majority of her net worth comes from her time on Game of Thrones as well as other acting roles in films and TV shows.
Headey earned $1.1 million per episode during the final two seasons of Game of Thrones. Across her entire time on the show, she likely made over $15 million total. Game of Thrones was one of the highest paying shows on TV during its run thanks to its massive popularity.
In addition to TV work, Headey has appeared in numerous major films throughout her career. Some of her highest-grossing box office hits include The Purge, 300, Dredd, and The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Her upfront pay for these films likely ranged from the tens of thousands into the low millions.
The actress also earns income through smaller independent films, voice acting roles, and brand partnerships on social media. Altogether, these diverse streams of revenue have contributed to her current $9 million net worth.
How Does Lena Headey Make Her Money?
Lena Headey’s net worth of $9 million can be attributed to several key income sources:
- Acting roles: Headey’s most lucrative acting role has been as Cersei Lannister on HBO’s Game of Thrones, earning $1.1 million per episode in her final seasons. She also earns sizable paydays for her film roles.
- TV appearances: In addition to Game of Thrones, Headey has had long-running TV roles on shows like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Pride and Prejudice, and The Brothers. These shows have added to her fortune over time.
- Film salaries: Headey has appeared in several major Hollywood films like The Purge, 300, Dredd, and The Mortal Instruments. Top actors can command six or seven-figure paydays for big studio films.
- Indie films: Headey takes smaller salaries for independent films and art house projects. While these pay less, they help build up her acting credentials.
- Voice acting: She has voiced characters in animated films and video games like Trollhunters, Danger Mouse, Mortal Kombat 11, and My Neighbor Totoro. Voice actors can earn up to five figures per role.
- Brand deals: As an influencer with 2.4 million Instagram followers, Headey can charge thousands for sponsored content and brand endorsements.
Overall, Lena Headey has made savvy financial choices to earn nearly $10 million primarily through acclaimed acting roles, TV appearances, and film projects. Her varied income sources should continue to grow her wealth in the future.
What Projects Has Lena Headey Been in?
Lena Headey has been acting since the early 1990s, with some of her most noteworthy projects including:
- Game of Thrones (2011–2019): Headey’s breakout role as Cersei Lannister on HBO’s megahit fantasy series Game of Thrones. She was nominated for multiple Emmy awards for her performance.
- 300 (2007): Headey portrayed Queen Gorgo alongside Gerard Butler’s King Leonidas in the Zack Snyder action film 300, based on the 1998 comic series.
- The Purge (2013): She played the lead role of Mary Sandin in the successful horror thriller The Purge and its sequel The Purge: Anarchy.
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008–2009): Headey took on the iconic role of Sarah Connor in this sci-fi series that was a spin-off from the Terminator film franchise.
- Pride and Prejudice (1995): One of Headey’s first major roles was as the character Elizabeth in this beloved adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.
- The Brothers Grimm (2005): She appeared opposite Matt Damon and Heath Ledger in this fantasy adventure film by director Terry Gilliam.
- Fighting with My Family (2019): Headey recently played Paige’s mother Julia Knight in this comedy-drama about WWE wrestler Paige.
With over 90 acting credits and counting, Lena Headey has proven herself as one of the most versatile and sought-after actresses of her generation.
Lena Headey’s Career Beginnings
Lena Headey got her start as a young actress in the early 1990s:
- Born in 1973 in Bermuda, she moved to England as a child and began acting in school productions.
- At age 17, she was discovered by a casting agent who saw her perform in a school play. This led to her first film role in the 1992 drama Waterland.
- Over the next few years, Headey appeared in small roles on British TV shows like Screen One, Ghost Boat, and Inspector Morse.
- In 1995, she landed her breakthrough role as Elizabeth Bennett in the miniseries Pride and Prejudice, alongside Colin Firth. Her performance was widely praised.
- More prominent film and TV roles followed, including The Jungle Book, The Brothers Grimm, Possession, and a guest spot on the show Game of Thrones.
- In 2007, she was cast as Queen Gorgo in 300, which catapulted her onto the Hollywood radar.
- Her fame reached new heights when she was cast as Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones in 2011, earning her Emmy nominations.
Through natural talent and luck in being discovered, Lena Headey worked her way up from unknown actress to sought-after star appearing in some of the biggest shows and films around the world.
What are Lena Headey’s Biggest Acting Roles?
Lena Headey’s long and successful acting career has included many memorable roles across both TV and film. Some of her biggest and most acclaimed acting roles include:
Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones
Without a doubt Headey’s most famous role is as the scheming and power-hungry Cersei Lannister on HBO’s Game of Thrones. As one of the show’s main protagonists, Headey expertly portrayed Cersei’s descent into madness in the later seasons.
Queen Gorgo in 300
Headey played Queen Gorgo, wife of King Leonidas, in the stylized action film 300. She delivered a brooding and emotional performance and added depth to her Spartan queen character.
Sarah Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Taking on a role made famous by Linda Hamilton, Headey starred as sci-fi heroine Sarah Connor in the Terminator spin-off series The Sarah Connor Chronicles. She earned praise for her gritty and raw portrayal.
Mary Sandin in The Purge Films
As the lead character Mary Sandin in the successful Purge horror film franchise, Headey carried the films with her moving performance as a mother trying to protect her family.
Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice
Early in her career, Headey gave an acclaimed performance as Elizabeth Bennett opposite Colin Firth in the 1995 adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice.
With her impressive range and acting chops, Lena Headey has brought many iconic characters to life throughout her diverse career in the entertainment industry.
What Awards Has Lena Headey Won For Her Acting?
While Lena Headey has yet to take home a major acting award, she has received numerous nominations recognizing her acclaimed performances:
- Primetime Emmy Awards:
- Nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for Game of Thrones in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2019.
- Golden Globe Awards:
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Series for Game of Thrones in 2017 and 2018.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards:
- Nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast for Game of Thrones in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Women’s Image Network Awards:
- Won Actress in a Drama Series for Game of Thrones in 2012.
- Critics Choice Television Awards:
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for Game of Thrones in 2012.
- Saturn Awards:
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress on Television for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles in 2009.
Despite being a four-time Emmy nominee, Headey has yet to win the coveted award. Regardless, her consistent nominations and recognition from the industry speak to her undisputed talents as an actress across her illustrious career so far.
What is Lena Headey’s Background?
Lena Headey was born on October 3, 1973 in Hamilton, Bermuda to English parents Sue and John Headey. She has one younger brother named Tim. When she was 5, her family relocated to England where she was raised in Yorkshire and Somerset.
Headey struggled in school due to undiagnosed dyslexia, which caused her to act out. At age 17, she was discovered by a casting agent who saw her performance in a school play. She went on to study acting at the Royal National Theatre before landing her first acting credits.
In 2007, Headey married musician Peter Loughran. They have one son together named Wylie, born in 2010. The couple divorced in 2013.
Since 2015, Headey has been in a relationship with director Dan Cadan. They have one daughter together named Teddy, born in 2015. Headey also has a tattoo on her upper arm in honor of Teddy.
The actress practices yoga and meditation daily. She has been vegetarian since age 15 and is heavily involved in animal rights activism with organizations like PETA. Headey resides in London when she is not filming movies and shows around the world.
What is Lena Headey’s Family and Background?
- Born in Bermuda to English parents in 1973. Her father was a Yorkshire police cadet and her mother was a housewife.
- Moved to England when she was 5 years old after her father retired. Was raised on a farm in Somerset with her younger brother Tim.
- Experienced dyslexia as a child but was not diagnosed until later in life. Acted out in school due to the condition.
- Was discovered at age 17 by a casting agent who saw her perform in a school play. This launched her acting career.
- Married musician Peter Loughran in 2007. They have a son named Wylie, born in 2010, before divorcing in 2013.
- Began a relationship with director Dan Cadan in 2015. Their daughter Teddy was born later that year.
- Practices yoga daily and has been a lifelong vegetarian. She is an advocate for animal rights.
- Resides in London when not on location for films and TV shows. Remains close with her family including her brother’s children.
What Charities and Causes Does Lena Headey Support?
In addition to her acting work, Lena Headey dedicates time and resources to support several charities and causes close to her heart:
- Animal welfare: Headey is an avid animal rights activist. She has worked closely with PETA to raise awareness about animal mistreatment.
- ** Climate change:** She partners with Greenpeace to advocate for initiatives combating climate change. Headey traveled to the Arctic with the organization in 2019.
- Refugee assistance: Having portrayed a refugee mother in the 2018 film The Flood, the issue resonated with Headey. She works with the IRC and UNHCR to help displaced populations.
- Mental health: Open about her own struggles, Headey is a supporter of organizations like Project Semicolon that help people with mental illness.
- LGBTQ+ rights: A vocal proponent of LGBTQ+ rights, she has championed marriage equality and partnered with GLAAD for awareness campaigns.
- Girl Rising: This non-profit promotes education for girls in developing nations. Headey has done voice-over work for their documentaries.
- Stand Up 2 Cancer: She has supported this organization’s innovative cancer research by participating in their annual televised fundraising specials.
Lena Headey uses her platform and resources for good by advocating for and supporting these and more causes that speak to her values and conscience. Her activism aligns with the socially-conscious characters she portrays.
Facts About Lena Headey
- Born in 1973 in Bermuda before moving to England as a child. Was discovered by casting agents as a teenager which launched her career.
- She landed her star-making role as Cersei Lannister on HBO’s Game of Thrones in 2011. Headey appeared on the show for 8 seasons until its finale in 2019.
- Had major film roles in 300, The Purge film series, Dredd, Fighting with My Family and many more. Has over 90 acting credits to her name.
- To date, has been nominated for 4 Emmy awards and 2 Golden Globe awards for her acclaimed performance as Cersei Lannister. Remains a highly sought-after actress.
- Known for her philanthropy supporting animal rights, climate change action, refugees, mental health initiatives, LGBTQ+ rights and more.
In summary, Lena Headey has established herself as one of the most talented and versatile actresses of her generation. Her portrayal of the conniving Cersei Lannister on Game of Thrones has propelled her to worldwide fame and fortune. While her net worth of an estimated $9 million is already impressive, Headey’s continued career momentum across TV and film suggests that number could rise substantially in the years ahead.
Beyond acting, Headey dedicates time to philanthropic causes like animal welfare, climate change, and LGBTQ+ rights. She uses her platform as a celebrity to raise awareness and enact positive change. With an intriguing life story and long list of acclaimed performances under her belt so far, Lena Headey has solidified her standing as a respected and socially-conscious artist both on and off the screen.