Milly Shapiro is an American actress and singer who is best known for her roles in horror films. She first gained attention for her performance as Matilda Wormwood in the Broadway musical Matilda in 2012 when she was just 10 years old.
Since then, Shapiro has appeared in films like Hereditary, Midnight Mass, and more. She is considered one of the most promising young actors working today, known for her ability to portray dark and intense characters.
What is Milly Shapiro’s net worth?
According to multiple net worth estimation sites, Milly Shapiro’s net worth is approximately $500,000 as of 2023.
The majority of Milly Shapiro’s net worth comes from her acting work in theatre, TV shows, and films. Some of her most notable projects include:
- Matilda the Musical (Broadway) – Shapiro played the lead role of Matilda Wormwood as a child actor. The show ran for 1,555 performances on Broadway from 2013 to 2017.
- Hereditary – This 2018 horror film was Shapiro’s breakout movie role. She portrayed Charlie Graham. Hereditary grossed over $79 million worldwide.
- Midnight Mass – Shapiro appeared as Sarah Gunning in this popular Netflix horror series in 2021.
- The Killing of a Sacred Deer – She played Bobbie in this 2017 psychological thriller by Yorgos Lanthimos.
- Vice Principals – Milly had a recurring TV role as Jennifer in this HBO comedy series in 2016-2017.
In addition to acting income, Shapiro likely earns revenues from endorsements and sponsorships as her fame continues to rise. She has over 800,000 followers on Instagram where she can monetize her reach and influence.
As Milly Shapiro is still very young and her career is rapidly ascending, her net worth has plenty of room to grow in the future with new high-profile acting jobs.
What are some of Milly Shapiro’s biggest acting roles?
Here are some of Milly Shapiro’s most prominent acting roles so far:
Matilda in Matilda the Musical
This Broadway adaptation of the beloved Roald Dahl book was Shapiro’s big break as a child actor. She originated the role of the precocious bookworm Matilda Wormwood, earning acclaim for her vocal talents and charismatic stage presence.
Charlie Graham in Hereditary
Shapiro transitioned to darker material as Charlie in this acclaimed 2018 horror film about a family haunted by sinister supernatural forces. Critics praised her unsettling performance.
Sarah Gunning in Midnight Mass
In this popular Netflix horror series, Shapiro played a mysterious young girl who forms a strong bond with the show’s protagonist Riley Flynn. She was a standout in the ensemble cast.
Bobbie in The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Working with Greek filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos, Shapiro took on the challenging role of a paralyzed teen in this disturbing psychological thriller starring Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman.
Jennifer in Vice Principals
Shapiro recurred as the gloomy, goth-like daughter of actress Busy Philipps’ character on this subversive HBO comedy series starring Danny McBride and Walton Goggins.
With her diversity of roles in theatre, TV, and film, Shapiro has proven her versatility and magnetism as a young actor across genres. She continues to choose compelling, complex characters that allow her to showcase her immense talents.
What was Milly Shapiro’s breakthrough role?
Milly Shapiro’s breakthrough role was originating the title role in the Broadway musical Matilda in 2013 when she was just 10 years old.
Matilda is based on the beloved 1988 Roald Dahl novel about a precocious young girl with magical powers. After originating the role in England, the musical came to Broadway where Shapiro made her debut to rave reviews.
As Matilda, Shapiro impressed audiences with her excellent vocals, feisty spirit, comedic timing, and abundant stage presence. She carried the show with incredible maturity and earned a Tony Honor for Excellence in Theatre as the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical.
Performing over 750 times during Matilda’s three year run, Shapiro charmed crowds as the witty bookworm. This was an exceptionally demanding part for such a young performer, requiring masterful acting, singing, and dance skills.
The widespread acclaim Shapiro received for her intelligent, funny, and poignant performance as Matilda put her on the map. It paved the way for her successful film career in Hollywood where she has continued to choose unique, complex roles that highlight her talents. Matilda remains a breakout moment that launched this promising young star.
How much did Milly Shapiro make from Hereditary?
It is unclear exactly how much Milly Shapiro was paid for her role as Charlie Graham in the indie horror film Hereditary. As a low-budget film with a production cost of only $10 million, salaries were likely modest. Most of the budget went to the star performers Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, and Alex Wolff.
However, the massive box office success of Hereditary likely resulted in some backend compensation for Shapiro. Hereditary grossed over $79 million worldwide on just a $10 million budget. It was hailed as one of the best horror films of 2018.
While Shapiro’s exact salary is unknown, it certainly gave her acting profile a huge boost. It marked her jump from child star to more mature, complex roles. Her compelling performance as the creepy, doomed Charlie was considered a highlight of the film.
The exposure Shapiro gained from Hereditary’s success has been invaluable, leading to new opportunities like her role in the Netflix series Midnight Mass. So while her initial paycheck may have been small, it was an important stepping stone in her burgeoning career that will lead to bigger paydays down the line.
What awards has Milly Shapiro won for her acting?
Despite her young age, Milly Shapiro has already won some prestigious awards recognizing her impressive acting abilities.
Her honors include:
- Tony Honor for Excellence in Theatre – Shapiro won this special Tony Award in 2013 for her performance as the title role in Matilda the Musical on Broadway. She was honored specifically for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical.
- Drama Desk Award – Also for Matilda, Shapiro won the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical in 2013. This award honors Broadway, off-Broadway, and off-off-Broadway shows.
- Outer Critics Circle Award – Again for her Matilda performance, she received the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical.
- Theater World Award – Shapiro was presented with the Theater World Award for Outstanding Broadway or Off-Broadway Debut Performance for Matilda in 2013.
- Broadway.com Audience Award – She won the Broadway.com Audience Award for Favorite Female Breakthrough Performance for Matilda in 2013.
Though early in her career, Milly Shapiro has already received top honors demonstrating her spectacular promise and talent that far exceeds her years. Her portrayal of the iconic character Matilda Wormwood will surely go down as one of the great child performances in Broadway history.
What are some interesting facts about Milly Shapiro?
- She began acting at age 6 when she played Gavroche in a community theater production of Les Miserables.
- She sings pop songs on YouTube under the name MillyMills.
- She can rap very fast, a talent she showed off in Matilda by rapping the alphabet in under 2 seconds.
- She is a talented singer and musician, playing instruments like piano, guitar, ukulele, and drums.
- She competed on Fox’s game show Beat Shazam with her family and won $10,000.
- She has heterochromia, meaning her eyes are two different colors (blue and brown).
- She keeps her private life very secretive and doesn’t share much about her personal life online.
- She is an accomplished dancer trained in styles like ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, and hip hop.
- She has said her favorite thing about performing in Matilda was getting to eat cookies on stage every night.
- Her hobbies include photography, painting, writing, coding, and graphic design.
- She has two older brothers who are both software engineers.
- She is extremely flexible and can do the splits both front and side.
What movies and TV shows has Milly Shapiro been in?
Here is a filmography summary of Milly Shapiro’s acting credits:
- Hereditary (2018) – Charlie Graham
- The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) – Bobbie
- Wonder Wheel (2017) – Carolina
- Lost Girls (2020) – Jess
- Midnight Mass (2021) – Sarah Gunning
- Briarpatch (2020) – Felicity
- Vice Principals (2016-2017) – Jennifer
- Sneaky Pete (2017) – Tabitha
- The Hamptons (2021) – Alex
- Robot Chicken (2019) – Voice role
- Matilda the Musical on Broadway (2013-2017) – Matilda Wormwood
- Tootsie the Musical on Broadway (2019) – Julie Nichols
What roles has Milly Shapiro played in horror projects?
For a young actress, Milly Shapiro has developed an unusual knack for horror projects, often playing creepy, intense characters. Some of her major horror roles include:
- Charlie Graham in Hereditary (2018) – Shapiro gave a chilling, complex performance in this acclaimed horror film as the doomed daughter haunted by sinister forces.
- Sarah Gunning in Midnight Mass (2021) – In Mike Flanagan’s Netflix series, she played an enigmatic girl who forms a troubling attachment to the protagonist.
- Bobbie in The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) – She portrayed a paralyzed, unnerving teen in Yorgos Lanthimos’ dark psychological thriller.
- Young Mina Murray in Dracula (2020) – Shapiro appeared in flashbacks as the young version of Mina in this BBC/Netflix adaptation.
- Patricia in Ma (2019) – She had a small role playing one of the teenage protagonists in this Blumhouse Productions horror film.
- Megan in Poltergeist (2015) – In this remake of the horror classic, she played Madison Bowen’s creepy friend.
With her versatility, maturity, and ability to project unsettling personas beyond her years, Shapiro continues to be an in-demand presence in high-profile horror projects on screens big and small.
How did Milly Shapiro get her start in acting?
Milly Shapiro got an early start in acting by participating in theater as a child. Here is a look at how she began her path to stardom:
- At age 6, she played Gavroche in a community theater production of Les Miserables. This first role sparked her passion for performing.
- She started taking acting lessons locally and participating in theater camps to hone her skills in acting, singing, and dancing.
- She performed in productions with youth theater groups like Stagedoor Manor in New York.
- At age 10, she landed the title role in the Broadway musical Matilda after participating in an open casting call. This breakout role propelled her career.
- During her time in Matilda, she continued acting classes in New York and had access to top coaches to develop her talents.
- With professional training and several years performing 8 shows a week as Matilda, she gained maturity and experience rare for a child actor.
- Her disciplined work ethic and natural charisma led to roles in films like Hereditary, Vice Principals, and Wonder Wheel while still a young teen.
Milly Shapiro combines raw talent with comprehensive training and honing of her craft. Her early introduction to performing allowed her to build an impressive resume of stage and screen credits launching a promising acting career.
What is Milly Shapiro doing now? What does she have coming up?
Now 18 years old, Milly Shapiro continues to choose compelling acting projects in film, TV, and theatre. Here are some of her upcoming projects and recent activities:
- She recently wrapped production on the horror film The Good House, co-starring Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline. It is expected to be released in 2023.
- She is rumored to have a role in the upcoming Christopher Nolan film Oppenheimer, about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb.
- She will provide a voice in the animated fantasy film The Tiger’s Apprentice, which is set for release in 2023.
- She had a voice role in the stop-motion animated film Wendell & Wild directed by Henry Selick and starring Keegan Michael-Key and Jordan Peele. It was released on Netflix in October 2022.
- She is continuing her studies virtually through online education while she acts. She graduated from high school in 2022.
- She remains active performing music on her YouTube channel under the name MillyMills, sharing original songs and covers.
With her mix of mainstream and indie film projects plus musical pursuits, the talented and driven Milly Shapiro shows no signs of slowing down as her star continues to rise.
Milly Shapiro related to Gilbert Gottfried?
No, despite sharing a somewhat similar-sounding last name, Milly Shapiro is not related to actor and comedian Gilbert Gottfried.
Gottfried’s full name is Gilbert Jeremy Gottfried while Shapiro’s full name is Amelia Eve Shapiro. The two performers have no familial connection.
This misconception likely arises from the fact that they are both Jewish performers active in entertainment. However, Shapiro and Gottfried do not share any recent ancestry or relatives in common.
While Gottfried is known for his loud, grating comedic persona, Shapiro has developed a reputation for portraying dark, intense characters in her acting roles despite her young age.
The only projects they have in common are voice acting roles for episodes of the irreverent stop-motion comedy Robot Chicken. They have both contributed voice work to the show in recent years, although not together for the same episodes.
In summary, aside from both working as performers, there are no blood relations between Milly Shapiro and Gilbert Gottfried. They simply share a passing similarity in their surnames.
In summary, Milly Shapiro is a rising young star who is rapidly making a name for herself in Hollywood. With breakout roles like Matilda in the Broadway hit Matilda the Musical and films like Hereditary, she has proven herself a versatile and mature performer despite being just 18 years old.
While her exact net worth is unknown, estimates place it around $500,000 and rising. Her early success in theater transitioned into scene-stealing film performances that display her comfort with dark, complex characters. She has already won several top acting awards.
As she branches out into more mainstream movies, TV series, and animated films, Shapiro’s fame and wealth are sure to grow. She displays enormous talent and screen presence that belie her youth. With smart choices that showcase her range, she has all the makings of an A-list actress as both an adult and child star.
Audiences and critics are captivated by her abilities and unusual maturity. If she continues on this trajectory, there is no limit to how far her skills can take her. At just the dawn of her career, Milly Shapiro emerges as one of the most exciting young talents working today. Her future looks incredibly bright.
Frequently Asked Questions
How did Milly Shapiro get so rich at such a young age?
Milly Shapiro built up her estimated $500,000 net worth by the age of 18 largely through professional acting work since childhood. Her breakout role as the title character in Matilda the Musical on Broadway from ages 10-13 provided steady income. Successful films like Hereditary and Midnight Mass added to her earnings.
What is Milly Shapiro’s most famous role?
Milly Shapiro’s most famous role is originating the title character in the Broadway musical Matilda. She performed the role over 1,500 times from ages 10-13, winning a Tony Honor for her acclaimed performance.
How much money did Milly Shapiro make from Matilda?
Milly Shapiro’s salary for Matilda the Musical is unknown, but as the star of the show, she likely earned a substantial weekly paycheck over the 3+ years it ran. The exposure also led to more lucrative acting jobs.
Is Milly Shapiro a millionaire?
Not yet, but she is well on her way. Current estimates put 18-year-old Milly Shapiro’s net worth around $500,000. With her career momentum, she has the potential to reach millionaire status in the future if she continues booking high-profile roles.
What does Milly Shapiro spend her money on?
As a young actor, Shapiro probably does not spend lavishly yet. In interviews, she seems low-key, practical, and invested in her craft. She likely saves and spends modestly on necessities, acting lessons, and helping her family.
What will Milly Shapiro do next?
Upcoming projects for Milly Shapiro include voicework for the films The Tiger’s Apprentice and Wendell & Wild. She filmed a role in The Good House alongside Sigourney Weaver. She will likely continue pursuing film, TV, theatre, and music.