Rachel McAdams is a Canadian actress who has starred in numerous popular films over the past two decades. Some of her most famous roles include The Notebook, Mean Girls, Wedding Crashers, Sherlock Holmes, and more recently in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Doctor Strange and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
With such a successful and lengthy acting career, Rachel McAdams has amassed an impressive net worth. But what exactly is Rachel McAdams’ net worth? How has she earned her wealth over the years? This article will take a deep dive into Rachel McAdams’ net worth, career earnings, investments, endorsements, and more.
What is Rachel McAdams’ Net Worth?
According to multiple net worth calculators and celebrity finance tracking websites, Rachel McAdams’ net worth is estimated to be around $25 million as of 2024.
This net worth has been accumulated through her various acting roles in films and television over the past 20+ years. Her highest paying roles have come more recently with her shift into big budget blockbuster films like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Rachel McAdams has also supplemented her income through various brand endorsement deals and other business ventures. Her long and varied acting career has allowed her to amass a net worth of $25 million.
How Did Rachel McAdams Earn Her Money and Wealth?
The majority of Rachel McAdams’ $25 million net worth has come from her salaries and backend points earned from acting in major films and TV shows. Some of her most financially successful projects include:
- The Notebook (2004) – Earned $1 million salary
- Mean Girls (2004) – Earned $1 million salary
- Wedding Crashers (2005) – Earned $5 million salary
- Sherlock Holmes (2009) – Earned $5 million salary
- Doctor Strange (2016) – Earned $5 million salary + backend points from box office success
- Game Night (2018) – Earned $3 million salary
- Eurovision Song Contest (2020) – Earned $2 million salary
In total, Rachel McAdams has likely earned around $20-25 million directly from her acting salaries and backend points on these major films. Her per film rates started much lower early in her career before climbing into the multi-million dollar range in the late 2000s and beyond.
In addition to her acting income, Rachel McAdams has earned money from:
- Brand endorsement deals with companies like L’Oreal
- Real estate investments in properties in Canada
- Restaurants she co-owns in her hometown of Toronto
- Appearances and licensing deals
Although acting makes up the bulk of her net worth, these other business endeavors and deals have helped supplement her income over the years as well.
Highest Grossing Movies of Rachel McAdams
Here is a table outlining the highest grossing films of Rachel McAdams’ career so far, which have contributed significantly to her $25 million net worth:
|Worldwide Box Office
As shown here, her roles in major blockbuster films like Doctor Strange helped rocket Rachel McAdams to much higher career earnings in recent years. The Marvel Cinematic Universe films pay very well given their massive global box office success.
What Major Acting Awards Has Rachel McAdams Won?
In addition to earning millions for her acting roles, Rachel McAdams has also won various major acting awards over the course of her prestigious career, including:
- MTV Movie Awards
- Best Breakthrough Female Performance for Mean Girls in 2005
- Best Kiss for The Notebook in 2005
- Teen Choice Awards
- Choice Movie Breakout Star: Female for Mean Girls in 2005
- Choice Movie: Liplock for The Notebook in 2005
- Choice Movie Actress: Drama for The Vow in 2012
- Hollywood Film Festival
- Hollywood Breakthrough Award for Ensemble of the Year for Mean Girls in 2004
- Satellite Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical for Wedding Crashers in 2006
While the monetary value of these awards is small, they have contributed to Rachel McAdams’ fame and prestige as an actress, allowing her to continue commanding high salaries for top roles. The recognition by peers helps cement her status as a top leading lady in Hollywood.
What Businesses and Investments Does Rachel McAdams Have?
In addition to earning millions from her acting career, Rachel McAdams has made various investments and business ventures over the years:
- Real Estate: She owns properties in Toronto, Canada worth several million dollars.
- Restaurants: She co-owns two restaurants in Toronto – HD Bistro and The Black Hoof.
- Production Company: She co-founded a production company called Make Good Content in 2016.
- Other Investments: Rachel has invested in various startups and companies both in Canada and the United States.
Although Rachel gets most of her annual income from acting, these savvy business investments and ventures contribute to her growing net worth and provide additional revenue streams beyond performing.
How Much Does Rachel McAdams Make a Year?
According to reports, Rachel McAdams earns between $5-10 million per year through her various endeavors. This can vary year-to-year depending on her active projects.
For example, in years when she has a major blockbuster film release, her annual earnings are likely on the higher end of that scale. Years when she is not working on a major movie, her income will be lower.
To break this down, Rachel’s annual earnings typically come from:
- Movie Salaries: $5-10 million per film depending on the budget and her role
- Backend Points: Potentially several million more depending on the film’s box office success
- Endorsements/Licensing: Estimated at $1-2 million per year
- Business Ventures: Likely a few million per year between her restaurants and other projects
So in an average active year, Rachel can take home around $8-10 million through these various streams of income. This contributes to her growing net worth year after year.
What is Rachel McAdams’ House Like? Real Estate Portfolio
Given her $25 million net worth, Rachel McAdams owns several high-end, multi-million dollar homes. Her real estate portfolio includes:
- Toronto Home: Rachel owns a home in her hometown of Toronto worth around $3 million. This Mediterranean-style mansion is 5,700 square feet with 5 bedrooms.
- Los Angeles Home: She bought a $2.8 million villa in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Laurel Canyon in 2016. The 3,850 square foot home has 4 bedrooms.
- Farmhouse in Canada: Rachel purchased a rural farmhouse outside of Toronto in 2018 that was worth $1.6 million. It sits on 25 acres of land.
–Other Canadian Properties: She owns several other properties in Canada including a cottage and land.
Rachel’s total real estate portfolio is likely worth over $10 million. Her properties provide a peaceful retreat away from her busy acting career. She especially spends time at her Canadian homes when not working.
What Kind of Car Does Rachel McAdams Drive?
Despite her immense wealth, Rachel McAdams leads a relatively low-key lifestyle and does not spend lavishly on luxurious cars. She has been spotted driving affordable, eco-friendly vehicles like:
- Toyota Prius: Rachel owns a blue Toyota Prius hybrid which starts around only $25,000. She was often seen driving this budget car around Los Angeles.
- Nissan Leaf: She reportedly leased a Nissan Leaf EV which retails for about $28,000. Rachel opts for practical electric vehicles.
- Ford Escape Hybrid: She previously owned a Ford Escape hybrid SUV valued under $30,000.
–BMW i3: Rachel briefly owned a BMW i3 electric car which costs around $45,000.
So while she could afford any luxury vehicle, Rachel McAdams chooses environmentally friendly cars that demonstrate her down-to-earth personality and lifestyle. Her cars are only a fraction of what celebrities of her caliber often drive.
Philanthropy and Charity Work
Despite her massive net worth, Rachel McAdams has dedicated time and resources to various philanthropic causes:
- Environmentalism: She works with Greenpeace and supports efforts to protect the Arctic. Rachel traveled to the Alaskan Arctic with Greenpeace.
- SickKids Hospital: She donated to the SickKids hospital in her hometown of Toronto. The hospital named a room after her.
- ALS Research: After her father’s diagnosis, Rachel became involved in raising funds for ALS research.
- Women in Hollywood: She supports female empowerment campaigns like the #TimesUp movement.
- Food Banks: Rachel has donated money and time to Toronto food banks over the years.
Rachel gives both her money and fame to shine a light on important causes close to her heart. Even as her wealth has grown enormously, she remains grounded in social and environmental activism.
How Rachel McAdams Stays Frugal Despite Her Net Worth
Despite being worth $25 million, Rachel McAdams leads a relatively frugal lifestyle. She is known for staying grounded and not splurging on luxuries. Some examples of how she stays frugal include:
- Drives affordable, eco-friendly cars
- Flies commercial instead of private
- Maintains her $1 million Toronto home rather than buying lavish mansions
- Shops at regular retail stores and supermarkets
- Enjoys affordable hobbies like yoga and reading
- Reuses outfits and dresses casually
- Prefers home-cooked meals to eating out
- Travels economy class for flights
Rachel views money as a tool for pursuing her creative passions, not for frivolous materialism. She once said “Too much money complicates things.” Her frugality despite her soaring net worth is admirable.
Rachel McAdams Net Worth Over Time
Rachel McAdams’ net worth has steadily climbed over the span of her 20+ year acting career:
- 2001: Began career, net worth of ~$100,000
- 2005: Breakout with Mean Girls and The Notebook, net worth $1 million
- 2010: Continued success in rom-coms like The Time Traveler’s Wife and Morning Glory, net worth $10 million
- 2015: Big-budget films like Southpaw, net worth around $15 million
- 2020: Earnings boosted by Marvel films, net worth $25 million
Rachel earned the bulk of her wealth in the past 10 years by transitioning into major studio films and hero roles. Her shrewd business deals off-screen have also grown her assets.
She is still actively acting, so her net worth is expected to continue rising into the future, especially with franchises like Marvel.
How Much Does Rachel McAdams Make for a Movie?
In the early days of her career, Rachel McAdams earned around $1-2 million per movie. But nowadays she commands much higher paychecks:
- Marvel Films: $5 million base salary + potential millions more in backend points
- Major Studio Films: $3-5 million per movie
- Indie Films: $1-2 million
Typically her backend points are based on the film’s box office success. So her total per movie pay can range quite a bit depending on the project.
But clearly Rachel is now at the point where she brings major star power to films and can negotiate very lucrative deals, especially for blockbuster movies.
Is Rachel McAdams Wealthier Than Other Actresses?
Despite having an impressive $25 million net worth, Rachel McAdams has a lower wealth than many other top Hollywood actresses of her caliber. Here’s how her net worth compares:
- Jennifer Lawrence: $160 million net worth
- Julia Roberts: $250 million net worth
- Jennifer Aniston: $300 million net worth
- Meryl Streep: $160 million net worth
However, Rachel McAdams is wealthier than some other popular actresses like:
- Anna Kendrick: $20 million net worth
- Emma Stone: $30 million net worth
- Amy Adams: $60 million net worth
So she falls somewhere in the middle of the pack – wealthier than some peers but not as rich as A-listers like Roberts and Aniston who have even longer careers. Rachel’s net worth will likely continue growing steadily as she ages.
How Much Does Rachel McAdams Make Compared to Her Male Costars?
Like many actresses, there is often a gender pay gap where Rachel McAdams earns less than her male co-stars:
- Rachel McAdams Salary: $5 million
- Benedict Cumberbatch Salary: $7.5 million
- Rachel McAdams Salary: $5 million
- Robert Downey Jr Salary: $20 million
- Rachel McAdams Salary: $1 million
- Lindsay Lohan Salary: $1 million
- Tina Fey Salary: $3 million
- Tim Meadows Salary: $3 million
While the gap is narrowing in recent years, Rachel likely still makes millions less than the top male actors she works with on blockbuster films. However, she still earns sizable salaries in her own right for her level of fame and acting chops.
What is Rachel McAdams’ Type of Car?
Despite being a multi-millionaire, Rachel McAdams does not drive expensive, flashy cars. She opts for eco-friendly vehicles and drives cars like:
- Toyota Prius – MSRP around $25,000
- Nissan Leaf – MSRP around $28,000
- BMW i3 – MSRP around $45,000
- Ford Escape Hybrid – MSRP around $30,000
Rachel chooses affordable, hybrid and electric cars as part of her environmental activism. Although she could afford any luxury vehicle, she decides to keep her costs low. This frugality and practicality is admirable given her high net worth.
Does Rachel McAdams Have Kids?
Yes, Rachel McAdams has two children:
- Son: She gave birth to a son in April 2018. He was born prematurely. Rachel has kept his name private from the media.
- Daughter: In early 2022 it was reported Rachel had welcomed her second child, a daughter, also with her boyfriend Jamie Linden.
Rachel is extremely protective of her children’s privacy. She has said she does not plan to engage them in celebrity culture or make them child stars.
Rachel became a mother later in life, having her first child at age 39. She calls motherhood her “greatest joy.” Although busy with acting, she devotes time to raising her young children.
What is Rachel McAdams’ Background?
Rachel McAdams was born on November 17, 1978 in London, Ontario, Canada. Here are some key facts about her background and early life:
- Grew up in St. Thomas, Ontario as the eldest of three children
- Her mother is a nurse and her father worked as a truck driver and mover
- Became interested in skating and acting as a child
- Competed regionally as a figure skater in her teens
- Graduated high school as class valedictorian
- Earned a BFA degree from York University in Toronto
- Worked odd jobs before breaking into acting in the early 2000s
Rachel comes from humble, working class Canadian roots. She worked hard educationally and athletically from a young age before deciding to pursue professional acting.
How Did Rachel McAdams Get Discovered as an Actress?
Rachel McAdams’ path to fame and fortune was a gradual one. Her big acting break came from starring on the Canadian TV drama Slings and Arrows in 2003-2004.
Some key points about her discovery and early career:
- Performed in a college theater troupe and local Toronto productions in early 2000s
- One of her first roles was in The Famous Jett Jackson for the Disney Channel
- Cast as Kate McNab in Slings and Arrows which aired on Canadian TV
- Made first Hollywood film appearance in The Hot Chick in 2002
- Her managers helped arrange casting in Mean Girls which catapulted her fame
Rachel paid her dues in smaller theater and TV roles before transitioning to mainstream movie stardom in 2004 with Mean Girls and The Notebook. The rapid one-two punch established her widely.
What Were Rachel McAdams’ First Acting Roles?
Rachel McAdams made her professional on-screen debut in 2001 on the Disney Channel TV show The Famous Jett Jackson. Some of her earliest credited acting roles include:
- The Famous Jett Jackson (2001) – TV
- Shot in the Face (2001) – TV movie
- The Hot Chick (2002) – film, played Jessica
- Slings and Arrows (2003-04) – TV, played Kate McNab
- Perfect Pie (2002) – film
- My Name is Tanino (2002) – film
Her very first movie roles were small supporting parts in The Hot Chick and My Name is Tanino.
Rachel’s early work was primarily on Canadian productions before she transitioned to Hollywood films. She payed her dues in obscurity before making it big.