Asa Butterfield is a young English actor who has been acting since a very young age. Some of his most notable roles include Hugo in Hugo (2011), Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008), and Norman in Paramount Pictures’ Ender’s Game (2013).
Butterfield was born in Islington, London in 1997. He began acting at the age of 9 in the television series After Thomas. His breakout role came in 2008 when he starred as Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas opposite Jack Scanlon.
Since then, Butterfield has gone on to star in numerous major motion pictures. In addition to Hugo and Ender’s Game, he has appeared in The Wolfman (2010), Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (2010), and Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016).
Outside of acting, Butterfield enjoys playing the drums and hanging out with friends. He has millions of followers across social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter.
What is Asa Butterfield’s Net Worth?
Asa Butterfield has an estimated net worth of $5 million as of 2023. The majority of his wealth has come from his acting career starting as a child actor. Given his early successes and continued starring roles, his net worth is expected to significantly increase in the future as he takes on more high-profile parts.
Some key details about Asa Butterfield’s net worth:
- His most lucrative role has been Hugo in the 2011 film Hugo directed by Martin Scorsese, for which he earned $250,000.
- He earned around $7 million for his lead role as Ender Wiggin in Ender’s Game in 2013.
- He has an estimated annual salary of $500,000 from various acting projects.
- His current net worth is estimated at $5 million. Given his age and successful acting trajectory so far, this number has significant room to grow.
- In addition to his film salaries, Butterfield likely earns extra income from endorsements and investments.
- He mainly lives a low-key lifestyle and has not made any lavish purchases yet that have impacted his wealth.
- Most of his earnings get reinvested into his career and future projects.
What are Some of Asa Butterfield’s Biggest Acting Roles?
Here are some of Asa Butterfield’s most prominent acting roles to date:
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
This drama film marked Butterfield’s breakout role at age 11 as Bruno, a young boy whose father commands a concentration camp during WWII. The film was very well-received and earned over $42 million worldwide.
Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (2010)
Butterfield played Norman Green alongside Emma Thompson’s Nanny McPhee in this sequel to the 2005 film. It grossed over $93 million.
This was Butterfield’s biggest critical success, earning him a Young Artist Award nomination. He played the title role of Hugo Cabret in Martin Scorsese’s adventure drama set in 1930s Paris.
Ender’s Game (2013)
Butterfield played lead character Ender Wiggin in this sci-fi film based on the popular book. It grossed over $125 million worldwide.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
Asa starred as Jacob Portman in Tim Burton’s fantasy film based on the novel by Ransom Riggs. The film was a box office success, grossing over $296 million.
These major roles have helped boost Asa Butterfield’s fame, critical acclaim, and wealth at a young age. He has successfully transitioned from a child actor to more mature leading roles.
What Investments and Endorsements Contribute to Asa Butterfield’s Wealth?
While Asa Butterfield’s acting income makes up the bulk of his $5 million net worth, he likely has additional revenue streams from investments and endorsements.
- Being a prudent investor from a young age allows Butterfield to diversify his income sources.
- He possibly has investments in real estate, stocks, and startup companies, although his portfolio is not public.
- Having built significant wealth already, he can rely on savvy investors and financial advisors to grow his assets.
- Butterfield occasionally promotes brands like high-end fashion on his social media accounts.
- He does not do as many brand endorsements as some actors, but likely earns a decent income from select deals.
- Some of the brands he has been affiliated with include Gucci, Topman, and Gap.
- As his fame increases, Butterfield can command higher fees for endorsements and licensing deals.
Future Earning Potential
- Given his acting abilities and film career achievements so far, the future looks bright for Butterfield’s wealth.
- As he transitions into more adult roles, he can leverage his talent and reputation to keep commanding high salaries.
- More investment income and endorsements will provide additional income streams besides acting.
What is Asa Butterfield’s Lifestyle Like?
Despite his impressive net worth at a young age, Asa Butterfield maintains a relatively low-key lifestyle. Here are some details on how he spends his fortune:
- Real estate – He lives in a comfortable but modest home in London worth around $2 million. He has not bought any lavish mansions or estates.
- Cars – Butterfield owns a few nice cars like a BMW but does not splurge on extremely expensive luxury vehicles. He mainly uses public transport to get around London.
- Spending habits – He does not live extravagantly and mostly saves and invests his earnings. He spends money on clothes, video games, and going out with friends.
- Philanthropy – He has supported various children’s charities and health organizations like GLAAD and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Investments – Rather than indulging in opulent purchases, Butterfield invests his money wisely with the help of financial advisors. This will ensure continued growth of his net worth.
- Low profile – Despite being famous, he maintains a simple, low-key lifestyle out of the public glare. He prefers privacy and spending time with close friends and family.
Overall, Asa Butterfield makes sound financial decisions despite having a multimillion fortune already. He leads a comfortable but not ostentatious lifestyle focused on his career and close relationships rather than flashy purchases.
How Much Does Asa Butterfield Make a Year?
It’s estimated Asa Butterfield has an annual income of around $500,000 as of 2023. However, his earnings fluctuate each year depending on his various acting and endorsement projects.
Some factors that influence Asa Butterfield’s annual earnings:
- Payments received for major film roles. His upfront salaries for lead roles can be several million dollars.
- Residual payments from older films that continue generating revenue. These royalties provide passive income.
- Appearance fees for interviews, panels, and events related to his films.
- Brand endorsement and sponsorship deals he does each year. These can pay over six figures.
- Returns and profit from any investments and real estate holdings.
- Income from merchandise featuring his name or likeness. Items like posters and action figures add to his annual earnings.
While not the highest-paid actor in Hollywood, Asa Butterfield commands respectable fees commensurate with his reputation and audience appeal. As he books more high-profile roles and his films earn bigger box office returns, his annual income is likely to keep rising substantially.
What House and Car Does Asa Butterfield Own?
Despite his wealth, Asa Butterfield maintains a relatively modest lifestyle in terms of real estate and vehicles. Here are some details:
- Butterfield resides in a 4-bedroom house in north London worth around $2 million.
- The home features a private garden and barn conversions but is not a sprawling luxury mansion.
- He bought the property in 2016 shortly after turning 18.
- He lives with his family including parents and siblings.
- His main car is a BMW 3 Series sedan, a modest luxury model.
- He also owns a Range Rover SUV for occasional use.
- Both cars are valued under $100,000 each, so they do not represent lavish splurges.
- He relies a lot on public transport and cabs in London rather than flashy expensive cars.
Overall, Asa Butterfield’s real estate and car collection reflect his down-to-earth lifestyle and wise financial habits rather than over-the-top extravagance and opulence. His focus remains strongly on his acting career.
How Much Has Asa Butterfield Donated to Charity?
Asa Butterfield has supported various charities over the years, though the exact total of his donations is unknown. Some of his philanthropic efforts include:
- In 2016, he auctioned off a signed Ender’s Game script to raise $1,400 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- He collaborated with Prizeo that year for a raffle supporting GLAAD and raising over $6,000.
- He has made Instagram posts supporting charities like NHS Charities Together and the NSPCC children’s charity.
- In 2015, he became an ambassador for Anno’s Africa to help build a primary school in Kenya.
- He has volunteered his time for organizations supporting children with cancer and juvenile dementia.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic he posted appreciation for health workers and encouraged fans to donate.
While the monetary amount is unknown, Asa Butterfield has undoubtedly made meaningful contributions to various social causes benefiting children, the LGBTQ community, health organizations, and people in poverty. He uses his platform to raise awareness and funds for issues he cares about. As his wealth and fame grows, his charitable impact likely will too.
Butterfield’s Net Worth and Career
Here are 5 top insights on Asa Butterfield’s net worth and acting career so far:
- His estimated net worth is $5 million at just 26 years old, primarily from film salaries.
- Breakout role as Bruno in 2008’s The Boy in the Striped Pajamas put him on the map.
- Lead role in Martin Scorsese’s 2011 film Hugo earned critical acclaim.
- 2013’s Ender’s Game gave him a $7 million payday as lead actor.
- He lives modestly despite wealth, saving and investing vs lavish splurging.
At his young age and with his skills, Asa Butterfield’s net worth is likely to keep increasing substantially as he books more lucrative lead acting roles. He’s already built an impressive resume but arguably still has his biggest hits yet to come.
In summary, Asa Butterfield has built an impressive fortune of $5 million already at just 26 years old. His lucrative salaries from high-profile lead acting roles beginning as a child star allowed him to amass wealth quickly. While not the absolute richest young actor, he has earned more than most actors his age through smart career choices.
Despite his wealth, Butterfield leads a low-key lifestyle focused on acting and close relationships rather than lavish spending and excess. He invests wisely and donates to worthy causes as opposed to purchasing megamansions and supercars. As he transitions into adult roles, Asa Butterfield has the talent and responsible attitude to continue growing his wealth for years to come. His net worth stands as a model example of earning substantial money early in Hollywood without going off the rails.
Frequently Asked Questions
How did Asa Butterfield get so rich at such a young age?
Asa Butterfield accumulated his estimated $5 million net worth primarily through his acting career starting as a child actor. He landed major roles in films like Hugo and Ender’s Game that earned millions in box office revenue and paid Butterfield seven-figure salaries despite his young age.
What was his biggest acting payday so far?
Butterfield’s top salary was likely the $7-8 million he earned for his lead role in the 2013 blockbuster sci-fi film Ender’s Game opposite Harrison Ford. It was his largest box office hit and put him on the map as a leading man.
Is Asa Butterfield the richest young actor?
Butterfield has an impressive net worth for his age, but is not the outright richest young actor today. For example, 22-year-old Millie Bobby Brown has an estimated $10 million net worth surpassing him. Actors like Jaden Smith and Chandler Riggs also have comparable multimillion fortunes like Butterfield.
How does Asa Butterfield spend his money?
Despite his wealth, Butterfield does not live an extravagant lifestyle. He resides in a comfortable $2 million London home and drives a BMW but does not splurge lavishly on real estate or cars. He spends mainly on modest purchases like clothes and hanging out with friends plus donates to charities.
What are Asa Butterfield’s main sources of income?
Butterfield’s primary income comes from film and TV salaries, likely earning an average of $500,000 per year. Secondary income sources are merchandise, endorsements, investments, and appearance fees. As his fame grows, he can keep increasing his earning power.