Domhnall Gleeson is an Irish actor who has appeared in both blockbuster and independent films. He is best known for his roles in the Harry Potter films, Ex Machina, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Revenant, and Peter Rabbit.
Gleeson comes from an acting family – his father is acclaimed Irish actor Brendan Gleeson. After training at the Dublin Institute of Technology, Gleeson began acting professionally in 2004. His breakthrough roles came in 2010 when he appeared in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and True Grit.
Since then, Gleeson has balanced roles in big-budget franchises like Star Wars and more artistic films like Ex Machina. He’s been nominated for several awards, including a Tony Award and an Emmy Award.
What is Domhnall Gleeson’s net worth?
According to multiple reputable sources, Domhnall Gleeson’s current net worth is estimated to be around $8 million.
Much of Gleeson’s wealth comes from his acting work in high-grossing films. Some of his most financially successful films include:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) – grossed over $2 billion worldwide
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) – grossed over $1.3 billion
- Ex Machina (2015) – grossed $36 million on a $15 million budget
- Peter Rabbit (2018) – grossed $351 million worldwide
Gleeson also earns a steady income acting in smaller indie films and doing voiceover work in animated films like The Little Stranger and Paddington 2.
Overall, Gleeson’s mix of big-budget and smaller films has allowed him to build an impressive net worth as an actor. As he continues his career, his wealth will likely continue to grow.
How does Domhnall Gleeson make his money?
The main source of Domhnall Gleeson’s wealth is his acting career. Here are the main ways he earns money as an actor:
- Movie salaries – For large studio films, Gleeson can earn millions per role. For example, he likely earned at least $1-2 million for The Force Awakens.
- Backend profits – Big movies sometimes give actors a cut of the backend profits. Gleeson may have earned additional millions from his roles in Harry Potter and Star Wars this way.
- Indie film salaries – Gleeson earns smaller salaries doing indie films, typically in the tens or hundreds of thousands. But these provide a steady income.
- Voice acting – Gleeson voices characters in films like Paddington 2. Voice actors can earn anywhere from $35k to $100k per role.
- Theater salary – Gleeson earned a Tony nomination for a Broadway role in The Lieutenant of Inishmore. Stage actors can earn $1,500 – $3k per week.
- Brand endorsements – As an internationally known actor, Gleeson can earn money doing endorsements and sponsorships with brands.
Gleeson supplements his acting income with wise investments, including real estate. He prefers to live a low-key lifestyle rather than flaunt his wealth.
What big purchases has Domhnall Gleeson made?
Despite his fortune, Gleeson seems to live a relatively low-key lifestyle without huge extravagant purchases. Here are a few of his biggest known splurges:
- Real estate – Gleeson owns an apartment in Dublin worth around $950k. He reportedly also owns a home in England.
- Cars – He has been spotted driving nice but not super expensive cars like a BMW 328i worth around $40k.
- Watches – An avid watch collector, he has been seen wearing watches like the Panerai Luminor valued around $5-10k.
- Guitars – A talented musician, Gleeson owns several nice guitars including a Gibson Les Paul worth around $3,000.
Overall, Gleeson seems to prefer investing his money quietly rather than spending lavishly on himself. He spends on property and his hobbies but shies away from over-the-top extravagances. He comes from an intellectual family and values artistry over materialism.
How does Domhnall Gleeson’s net worth compare to other actors?
Here’s how Gleeson’s $8 million net worth stacks up against other top actors:
- Leonardo DiCaprio: $260 million
- Robert Downey Jr: $300 million
- Scarlett Johansson: $165 million
- Jennifer Lawrence: $160 million
- Mark Ruffalo: $30 million
- Oscar Isaac: $10 million
- Michael Fassbender: $30 million
So Gleeson’s net worth is quite respectable, but far below the top A-list movie stars who earn $20+ million per movie. His film choices have favored critical success over huge paydays.
Among his peers who also balance indie and blockbuster films, Gleeson’s net worth is comparable. He’s richer than Oscar Isaac but behind Ruffalo and Fassbender. But all four have found success balancing artistic and commercial films.
Gleeson’s wealth will likely continue growing as he’s in demand for both big and small films. But he probably won’t ever reach the earnings of DiCaprio or Downey Jr given his selective filmography. He seems content carving his own path as an actor.
What does the future hold for Domhnall Gleeson’s net worth?
At just 38 years old, Gleeson’s career as a leading man is still in its early stages. Here’s a look at factors that could affect his wealth in future years:
- Upcoming blockbuster projects – Gleeson has a role in the new Star Wars trilogy starting in 2023. Major franchises like this could add $10+ million to his net worth per film.
- Continued indie work – Gleeson is committed to doing smaller films like Frank and mother! These keep his credibility high and provide a steady income.
- More awards recognition – With his acting talent, Gleeson could earn Oscar/Emmy nominations. Awards prestige leads to more lucrative offers.
- Transition to producing/directing – Gleeson may eventually produce his own films like Reese Witherspoon, giving him a cut of the profits.
- Lucrative brand deals – As his fame grows, Gleeson can earn millions doing deals with luxury brands.
- Real estate investments – Gleeson may continue investing his wealth in real estate and other assets.
Barring any career setbacks, Gleeson’s star should keep rising. A net worth of $15-20 million seems very achievable for him in the next decade through smart choices.
What factors could decrease Domhnall Gleeson’s net worth?
While the future looks bright, there are factors that could potentially decrease Gleeson’s earnings and net worth:
- Box office flops – Big budget films failing at the box office can hurt his earning power. See: Exodus: Gods and Kings.
- Overexposure – Taking too many blockbuster roles could make him seem too commercial and hurt his indie appeal.
- Bad investments – Poorly chosen investments in real estate or other ventures could lose money.
- Lawsuit losses – Celebrities are vulnerable to lawsuits that can cost big money even if unwarranted.
- Scandal – Controversies or scandal in his personal life could lead studios to not hire him.
- Decline in popularity – Like any actor, waning audience interest could reduce his offers.
- Personal issues – Problems like substance abuse or health issues could make him uninsurable for films.
Gleeson’s wise career decisions so far suggest he’ll avoid most of these pitfalls. But any celebrity’s fortune is a house of cards that can collapse if mishandled. Staying centered and selective with roles will be key to maintaining his earnings.
In summary, Domhnall Gleeson has accrued an impressive net worth of approximately $8 million through his acting work in blockbuster franchises and critically acclaimed indie films. He earns multi-million dollar salaries for big budget roles but also does smaller films that provide steady income and credibility.
Gleeson leads a relatively low-key lifestyle, investing in property and avoiding over-the-top extravagances. His wise career choices suggest his star will continue rising in his 30s and 40s. Barring any unforeseen scandal, he could realistically triple his current net worth with more lucrative acting roles, awards recognition, and endorsements. Gleeson’s talent, work ethic, and grounded personality should allow his wealth to steadily grow for years to come.
FAQs about Domhnall Gleeson’s Net Worth
How much does Domhnall Gleeson make per movie?
Gleeson’s salaries range widely based on the film. For big budget movies like Star Wars he likely earns $1-2 million upfront. For small indie films he probably makes closer to $250-500k. He can also earn backend profits if the film is a hit.
What was Domhnall Gleeson’s biggest payday as an actor?
Gleeson’s biggest payday was likely Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Between his multi-million dollar salary and backend points from the film grossing over $2 billion, he likely earned over $10 million total for this one role.
What does Domhnall Gleeson spend his money on?
Gleeson spends sensibly on property like his Dublin apartment, cars, watches, musical instruments and other hobbies. He does not live an extravagant lifestyle and mostly saves and invests his money wisely.
Is Domhnall Gleeson richer than his father Brendan Gleeson?
No, Domhnall’s estimated $8 million net worth is less than his father Brendan’s estimated $15 million net worth. However, Brendan is 30 years older and at the peak of his career, so Domhnall may surpass him over time.
How much does Domhnall Gleeson make from endorsements?
Gleeson is selective about endorsements but likely commands around $500k-1 million per major brand partnership. Recent deals include promoting the Audi A4 luxury sedan and Irish tourism.