Gael García Bernal is a Mexican actor and producer who has starred in both Spanish and English language films. He is best known for his performances in movies like Amores Perros, Y Tu Mamá También, The Motorcycle Diaries, Babel, and Mozart in the Jungle.
Gael was born in Guadalajara, Mexico in 1978. From a young age, he knew he wanted to be an actor and made his acting debut on Mexican television at age 13. He went on to study acting at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London in the late 1990s.
Some of Gael’s most acclaimed films include Amores Perros, Y Tu Mamá También, Bad Education, The Motorcycle Diaries, and Babel. He earned Golden Globe nominations for his roles in Mozart in the Jungle and The Motorcycle Diaries.
In addition to acting, Gael has also produced and directed several films and documentaries. He founded the production company Cananá Films in Mexico City.
What is Gael García Bernal’s Net Worth?
According to multiple sources, Gael García Bernal’s net worth is estimated to be around $12 million as of 2023.
He has accumulated his wealth primarily through his acting career over the past few decades. Some of his highest paying roles have come from major Hollywood films like Babel, Letters to Juliet, Elysium, and Coco.
Gael commands paychecks of a few million dollars per movie role nowadays. Earlier in his career he made tens of thousands per indie film role.
In addition to acting, Gael has earned income from producing films through his Cananá Films company. He also earns from endorsement deals and investments.
With his continued acting and producing success, Gael’s net worth will likely continue rising in the coming years. At just 44 years old currently, he still has plenty of prime career years ahead of him.
How Did Gael García Bernal Build His Net Worth?
Gael García Bernal built his current net worth of $12 million through two decades of acting in major films and TV shows. Here are some of the key roles and projects that contributed to his wealth building:
- Amores Perros (2000) – This Mexican drama film helped put Gael on the map. It was his breakout role and went on to earn a nomination for Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards.
- Y Tu Mamá También (2001) – Gael starred in this highly acclaimed Mexican road trip comedy drama alongside his childhood friend Diego Luna. It further increased his profile.
- The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) – Portraying a young Che Guevara in this biopic earned Gael a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. It was his first major Hollywood role.
- Babel (2006) – Working with acclaimed director Alejandro González Iñárritu on this ensemble drama helped grow Gael’s global stardom.
- Letters to Juliet (2010) – This romantic drama marked one of Gael’s bigger budget Hollywood films. It grossed over $80 million on a $30 million budget.
- Coco (2017) – Gael voiced the lead character in Pixar’s billion dollar grossing animated film. It became one of the highest grossing films of all time.
- Mozart in the Jungle (2014-2018) – This starring TV role earned Gael a Golden Globe win and several nominations. It added to his wealth through four seasons.
Aside from acting, Gael has earned money as a producer and from endorsement deals with brands like L’Oreal. Overall, his long acting career including indie films and major blockbusters is responsible for his $12 million net worth.
Gael García Bernal’s Assets: Real Estate, Investments, cars & More
As a multi-millionaire actor, Gael has amassed an impressive portfolio of assets over the years. Here are some of Gael García Bernal’s major assets that contribute to his $12 million net worth:
- Real estate – Gael owns luxury homes in Mexico City, Madrid, Buenos Aires, and Los Angeles worth several million dollars combined. His main residence appears to be in Mexico City.
- Investments – He is a co-founder of Canana Films production company and also has invested in real estate and startup companies over the years.
- Car collection – He has been seen driving high-end cars like Audis, BMWs and Mercedes. No exact details are known about his car collection.
- Watches & Jewelry – Gael has been photographed wearing expensive watches like Rolex, Cartier and Tag Heuer models that can be worth $10,000 and up.
- Art collection – As a longtime art enthusiast, Gael is believed to have built an impressive art collection including works by Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.
- Income properties – In addition to his primary homes, Gael likely owns multiple income generating properties and vacation homes.
Overall, Gael appears to live comfortably but not excessively lavishly from his acting wealth. He avoids flaunting his riches too much. A good chunk of his net worth is tied up in real estate, investments and other assets in addition to what’s in his bank accounts.
How Much Does Gael García Bernal Make Per Year?
According to estimates, Gael García Bernal has an annual income that varies from year to year depending on his projects, but averages around $2-4 million per year.
At the height of his career, he can make $5-10 million or more in a single year from a major blockbuster movie role or endorsement deal. For example, he likely earned $5+ million for starring in Pixar’s Coco.
He also earns 6-7 figure sums for starring in TV shows. On Mozart in the Jungle he was making approximately $100,000 per episode.
When adding up his earnings from acting gigs, producing fees, endorsements, investments and other income sources, Gael banks multi-million dollar paydays yearly even without being in massive blockbusters every year.
With his level of fame and reputation in Hollywood and Latin American cinema, his yearly income should remain strong for years to come. As he takes on more producing and directing work, his income potential also increases.
Conclusion: Gael García Bernal Continues to Build His Acting Fortune
In conclusion, Gael García Bernal has established himself as one of the most successful Mexican actors of his generation through acclaimed performances in Spanish and English films. His estimated net worth of $12 million reflects over two decades of work.
Major movies like Amores Perros, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Babel, Mozart in the Jungle, and Coco have made Gael both rich and famous. He earns multi-million dollar salaries at the peak of his career today.
As Gael enters his mid-40s, he is sure to continue taking on compelling roles. He also has branched into more directing and producing work in recent years. Both his wealth and reputation appear set to keep rising as he matures in Hollywood.
The versatility Gael has shown across independent films and big budget blockbusters ensures his career longevity. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, his net worth should comfortably reach $15-20 million or more over the next decade through his acting and behind-the-scenes work.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gael García Bernal’s Net Worth
How did Gael García Bernal get so rich?
Gael built his wealth primarily from his successful acting career of over 25 years. Starring in hit films like Amores Perros, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Coco, and Mozart in the Jungle allowed him to command big paychecks and earn millions over the years.
What was Gael García Bernal’s breakthrough role?
His breakthrough role was in the 2000 Mexican drama Amores Perros directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu. Gael stood out among the ensemble cast and earned his first major acting award nomination. This kicked off his career.
What are Gael García Bernal’s biggest movies at the box office?
Some of Gael’s highest grossing films are Coco ($807 million), Letters to Juliet ($80 million), The Science of Sleep ($17 million), Babel ($135 million) and The Motorcycle Diaries ($57 million). Coco and Babel are the two biggest earners worldwide.
How much money does Gael García Bernal make per movie?
In his prime today, Gael can command $2-5 million or more in upfront salary for major Hollywood movies. Earlier in his career he made tens of thousands for low budget indie films. His per movie fees have increased significantly with his star power.
What is Gael García Bernal’s highest grossing movie?
2017’s Coco is Gael’s highest grossing movie to date. The Pixar animated film earned over $800 million at the worldwide box office. It is one of the most successful animated movies in history.
How much did Gael García Bernal make for Coco?
Exact numbers are not known, but industry estimates peg Gael as likely earning between $3-5 million for voicing the lead role in Coco given typical Pixar salaries. The massive success likely also earned him substantial bonuses.
What TV shows has Gael García Bernal starred in?
Some of Gael’s biggest TV shows are Mozart in the Jungle, Hospital El Paisa, Fidel, La mala noche, and La corazonada. Mozart in the Jungle earned him the most acclaim including a Golden Globe.
Is Gael García Bernal married?
No, as of 2023 Gael García Bernal is not currently married. However, he has two children with Argentine actress Dolores Fonzi. He has also been in relationships with actresses Natalie Portman and Kasia Smutniak.
How much money does Gael García Bernal make per year?
Reports estimate Gael’s annual income to be around $2-4 million on average depending on his projects for the year. He can earn $5 million or more during a year when he has a major movie release or lucrative endorsement deal.
What charities or causes does Gael García Bernal support?
Gael supports various global human rights causes. He is involved with organizations like Amnesty International, Global Poverty Project, and Shine Global working to improve conditions around the world.