Kelly Macdonald is a Scottish actress who has had a successful career in film, television and theatre. Some of her most well-known roles include:
- Diane in the film Trainspotting (1996)
- Carla Jean Moss in the film No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Margaret Schroeder in the HBO series Boardwalk Empire (2010-2014)
- The voice of Merida in the Disney/Pixar film Brave (2012)
- Voice roles in the Harry Potter video games as Helena Ravenclaw (2010-2011)
She has been nominated for and won numerous awards, including a Primetime Emmy and a BAFTA Scotland Award. Her career has spanned over 25 years and she continues to take on compelling roles across various genres and mediums.
What is Kelly Macdonald’s Net Worth?
According to multiple sources, Kelly Macdonald’s current net worth is estimated to be around $6 million as of 2023. Here is a brief overview of how she has built her wealth over her career:
- Early acting roles – Her breakout role in Trainspotting didn’t likely come with a huge payday initially, but it opened doors for future roles. Even smaller indie films and theatrical productions early in her career added up.
- Film career – Major motion pictures like Gosford Park, Intermission, Nanny McPhee, No Country for Old Men, Harry Potter, Brave, and more. Main roles in these successful films likely earned her in the low millions per picture.
- Television career – Her steady TV work on Boardwalk Empire reportedly earned her $80,000 per episode during the show’s run. Other TV roles have also added up.
- Voice acting – Big budget animated films like Brave and video games like Harry Potter have been lucrative for voice talent. These can earn anywhere from tens of thousands to over $1 million.
- Theatre career – She has appeared in many popular theatre productions over the years, which can be a consistent source of income in between filming big projects. The pay scale varies greatly.
- Brand partnerships – As with many celebrities, she likely earns additional income from occasional brand endorsement deals and partnerships.
The bulk of her net worth likely comes from her film career. Big budget pictures have the potential for millions in earnings for the main stars. Her nearly 25 year career with consistent work across mediums has allowed her net worth to grow steadily over time.
What are Some of Kelly Macdonald’s Most Lucrative Acting Roles?
Here are some of Kelly Macdonald’s most financially successful acting roles that have contributed significantly to her current net worth:
No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Major supporting role in the Coen Brothers Oscar-winning film.
- The film grossed over $170 million worldwide on a $25 million budget.
- Her role as Josh Brolin’s wife likely earned her a high seven figure salary.
Boardwalk Empire (2010-2014)
- Main role as Margaret Schroeder on the HBO crime drama series.
- Appeared in 56 episodes over the show’s five season run.
- Reportedly earned $80,000 per episode, totalling over $4.4 million from the series.
- Voiced the lead character Merida in the Pixar animated film.
- The film grossed $550 million worldwide against a $185 million budget.
- Top voice actors in major Disney/Pixar films have earned anywhere from $100,000 to $1 million+.
Harry Potter video games (2010-2011)
- Voiced Helena Ravenclaw in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 and Part 2 video games.
- The Harry Potter games have sold over $1.5 billion copies worldwide.
- Supporting voice actors likely earned a healthy six figure salary for the games.
These major film and television roles have provided the bulk of Kelly Macdonald’s multimillion dollar net worth. Other roles across her prolific career have also added up significantly over time.
What are Kelly Macdonald’s Other Income Sources?
In addition to her acting income, Kelly Macdonald has earned money from other sources:
- Theatre productions – She has appeared in many popular theatre shows in London’s West End and Broadway in New York. Theatre salaries vary greatly, but main roles earn at least $1,500-$5,000 per week, plus a share of box office grosses.
- Brand partnerships – She has done endorsement deals with brands like Jennifer Lopez’s JLO fashion line and HSBC bank. These deals can pay anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000+ depending on the campaign.
- Real estate investments – She reportedly owns property in London, New York, and Scotland. Savvy real estate investments over the years have likely added to her net worth.
- Wise investments – Being in the public eye for 25+ years provides ample opportunities for stock investments, business partnerships, and more. Smart investments could grow her wealth.
While acting income makes up the majority of her $6 million net worth, these other income sources over the years have provided additional revenue streams and financial stability.
How Does Kelly Macdonald Spend Her Money?
With an estimated multi-million dollar net worth, how does Kelly Macdonald spend her fortune? Here’s a look at some of her major assets and lavish purchases:
- Real estate – She owns valuable homes in London, New York City, and her native Scotland. Property records show she owns a $3 million apartment in NYC’s Upper East Side.
- Raising children – She has two children with her ex-husband Dougie Payne. Lavish vacations, caring for their needs, and planning for their future education costs money.
- Luxury vehicles – She’s been spotted driving high-end vehicles in LA, like Range Rovers and Mercedes SUVs that cost $60,000+.
- Jewelry and accessories – She often wears expensive jewelry for red carpet events and photo shoots. These pieces can cost tens of thousands per item for top designers.
- Charitable giving – She has supported and donated to causes like Children in Need, Leukemia and Lymphoma Research, and the Prince’s Trust.
- Lavish vacations – From yacht trips along the French Riviera to skiing in Switzerland, luxury holidays provide a chance to spend extravagantly.
- Fashion and beauty – Custom gowns, designer outfits, make-up artists and stylists add up for public appearances and magazine shoots.
Even with opulent spending, her purchases seem modest compared to many Hollywood stars, indicating smart money management skills.
Does Kelly Macdonald Have Any Business Ventures?
There are no public reports of Kelly Macdonald having any major business ventures outside of her acting career. She seems to have focused her time and resources primarily on acting, raising her children, and living comfortably.
She may potentially get involved in business ventures in the future, but so far her acting salary and wise investments seem to be sufficient for her lifestyle needs. With a net worth of $6 million and more roles surely ahead, she likely has the capital to invest in businesses or start-ups if desired.
Some potential business opportunities that may suit her interests include:
- A fashion or jewelry line – She has an understated but elegant style that could translate into a successful brand.
- Production company – Forming her own production company to option stories and develop passion projects.
- Restaurant or hotel – Investing in hospitality ventures like restaurants, boutique hotels or inns in Scotland.
- Voiceover studio – Establishing a facility for aspiring voice actors, as she’s had immense voiceover success.
For now, Kelly seems content growing her acting career and making smart investments with her substantial earnings. But she certainly has the resources and connections to be successful in business if she pursues that route.
How Does Kelly Macdonald’s Net Worth Compare to Other Actresses?
Here’s how Kelly Macdonald’s estimated $6 million net worth compares to some other actresses around her age and career trajectory:
- Kate Winslet – Estimated net worth of $65 million. Mega star with Oscar wins and over $2 billion in worldwide box office.
- Cate Blanchett – Estimated net worth of $80 million. Similarly accomplished with multiple Oscar wins and $5 billion in box office.
- Nicole Kidman – Estimated net worth of $250 million. Blockbuster films, awards acclaim, and decades of superstardom contribute to higher worth.
- Natalie Portman – Estimated net worth of $60 million. Mix of big budget and indie films has earned her tens of millions.
- Kirsten Dunst – Estimated net worth of $25 million. Decades of acting has amassed her multi-million dollar fortune.
- Thandie Newton – Estimated net worth of $25 million. Long career with mix of film and TV has resulted in similar net worth to Macdonald.
While on the higher end for an actress of her age and background, Macdonald’s estimated net worth of $6 million is dwarfed by A-listers like Kidman and Blanchett who command $20+ million per film. But among her peers, her reported worth appears standard for a successful career actress in her late 40s.
What is Kelly Macdonald’s Annual Salary?
Kelly Macdonald’s annual salary can fluctuate greatly depending on her projects and workload each year. In her peak earning years:
- During her 5 seasons on Boardwalk Empire she earned approximately $4 million per year through her $80k per episode salary.
- In major film years she likely earns at least $1-2 million in base salary, not counting backend box office bonuses.
- For voice roles in animated films like Brave or video games, she can earn six or seven figures per project.
In slower years focused on smaller indie films, theatre, or raising her family, her annual acting income likely ranges from $500,000 to $1 million on average.
Across a prolific 25+ year career, she has the potential to earn tens of millions per decade through lucrative acting roles, savvy investments, and other income sources. Kelly Macdonald has established herself as a reliable box office draw that adds prestige to any project.
What is Kelly Macdonald’s Monthly and Daily Income?
Based on estimates of her potential annual earnings, here is an approximation of Kelly Macdonald’s monthly and daily income:
- Monthly income – In her peak years, she can earn $500,000 per month or more. In slower periods, her average monthly income is likely around $50,000 – $100,000.
- Daily income – With approximate monthly income of $50k-$500k, her estimated daily income ranges from about $1,600 to $16,000.
Of course these numbers are variable depending on her schedule. But with the ability to demand seven figure paydays for films and six figure salaries for TV episodes, Kelly Macdonald has the potential to earn over $10,000 per day worked when she is in high demand.
How Will Kelly Macdonald’s Net Worth Grow in the Future?
At 48 years old, Kelly Macdonald is currently in her prime earning years as an experienced actress. Here are some factors that can contribute to continued net worth growth in the future:
- Film career surge – Greater fame from recent hit films means even higher salaries for future leading roles. Awards recognition could also elevate her fees.
- Production company – Forming her own production company to create projects could provide an additional revenue stream.
- Real estate – Purchasing additional high-end investment properties in desirable markets could significantly grow her assets.
- Stock investments – Working with financial advisors to invest some of her wealth in stocks and funds could amplify her net worth.
- Voice acting jobs – Her impressive voiceover work could lead to more lucrative gigs in animated films, games, and even for brands.
- Luxury partnerships – Six and seven figure endorsement deals with global luxury brands have big earning potential.
Barring any major financial setbacks, all signs point to Kelly’s net worth steadily increasing into the 8-figure range over the next decade through high paying acting roles and shrewd investments.
In summary, Kelly Macdonald has amassed an impressive estimated net worth of $6 million thanks predominately to her lucrative film acting career. Major hits like No Country for Old Men and Brave, along with her steady TV work and other roles have resulted in her healthy current net worth.
Moving forward, at just 48 years old, she still has many prime earning years ahead that can significantly grow her millions even higher through future acting jobs and wise investments outside of performing.
While not yet at the earnings level of A-listers like Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett, Kelly Macdonald has certainly solidified herself as a bankable star with the potential for continued financial success for years to come.
Questions About Kelly Macdonald’s Net Worth
What was Kelly Macdonald’s breakthrough role?
Kelly’s breakthrough role was Diane in the 1996 cult classic film Trainspotting. The role earned widespread acclaim and really put her on the map as an actress to watch.
Has Kelly Macdonald won any major awards?
Yes, she has won both a Primetime Emmy Award and a BAFTA Scotland Award for Best Actress in Television for her role on Boardwalk Empire. She also has Golden Globe and SAG Award nominations.
How did Kelly Macdonald get the part in No Country for Old Men?
The Coen Brothers saw Kelly in a film premiere at Cannes and thought she’d be perfect for the role of Carla Jean Moss in No Country for Old Men. They did not make her audition.
What TV series earned Kelly Macdonald over $4 million?
Kelly reportedly earned over $4 million dollars for her role as Margaret Schroeder on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire thanks to her salary of $80,000 per episode over 5 seasons.
Has Kelly Macdonald done voice acting work?
Yes, Kelly voiced the lead character Merida in the Disney/Pixar film Brave. She also voiced Helena Ravenclaw in the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows video games.
How old was Kelly Macdonald in her breakout role in Trainspotting?
Kelly was just 20 years old when she landed the career breakthrough role of Diane in Trainspotting in 1996. Her performance earned widespread acclaim despite her lack of acting experience.
Is Kelly Macdonald married?
Kelly was married to Scottish musician Dougie Payne from 2003 to 2017. They have two children together. She also dated actor Josh Brolin for a short time after divorcing Payne. She is currently believed to be single.
Where does Kelly Macdonald live?
She primarily lives in London, but also owns homes in New York City and her native Scotland. Property records show she owns a $3 million apartment in Manhattan.
What is Kelly Macdonald’s background? How did she get into acting?
She was born and raised in Glasgow, Scotland. She worked as a barmaid and was discovered by director Danny Boyle, who gave her the role in Trainspotting. That launched her acting career.