Mark Rylance is an acclaimed English actor and theater director. He has starred in films like Bridge of Spies, Dunkirk, and Don’t Look Up and won an Academy Award, BAFTAs, Golden Globes and Olivier Awards for his acting. This article will explore Mark Rylance’s net worth and how he has amassed his wealth over his multi-decade career in theater, film and television.
How Much Is Mark Rylance Worth?
According to multiple reputable sources, Mark Rylance has an estimated net worth of approximately $16 million. The majority of Mark Rylance’s net worth comes from his over 40 year career as a successful actor and director in theater, film and television. Some highlights over his diverse career that have contributed to his multimillion dollar fortune include:
- Major box office hits as an actor in films like Bridge of Spies ($165 million gross), Dunkirk ($526 million gross), The BFG ($187 million gross) and Don’t Look Up ($163 million gross)
- Television roles in shows like Wolf Hall, which earned him Emmy and Golden Globe awards
- Lucrative sponsorship and endorsement deals with brands like Nissan’s Infiniti
- Consistent work and critical acclaim in theater, including serving 10 years as the first artistic director of Shakespeare’s Globe in London
By following up his early theater success with roles in high-grossing box office movies, Mark Rylance has been able to amass his estimated $16 million net worth.
Table 1 – Mark Rylance’s Roles & Awards
|Bridge of Spies
|Academy Award for Best Supporting ActorBAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
|Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead ActorGolden Globe Award for Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film
|Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play
|Olivier Award for Best Actor
How Much Does Mark Rylance Make A Year?
It is estimated that Mark Rylance has an annual income of around $1.5 million per year. Some major contributing factors to his annual earnings include:
- Payment for acting roles in the range of $500,000-$2 million per major film role
- Income from theater productions and directing
- Dividends and income from investments
- Payment for endorsements and sponsorships with brands
As an accomplished A-list actor, Mark Rylance can command six to seven figure salaries for his roles in major film or television productions. For example, he likely earned over $1 million alone for his supporting role in 2019’s The Irishman. Combined with income from other sources, Mark Rylance takes home around $1.5 million per year on average.
What Has Contributed the Most to Mark Rylance’s Net Worth?
The single most significant contributor to Mark Rylance’s $16 million net worth over his career has been his extremely successful and award-winning acting career. Highlights include:
Theater Acting and Directing:
- 10 years as the first artistic director of Shakespeare’s Globe theater in London, cementing his reputation as an elite theater actor
- Multiple Tony awards and Olivier awards for acclaimed theater productions of Shakespeare and other playwrights
- Academy Award, BAFTA, SAG Award and Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for Bridge of Spies
- Major roles in box office hits including Bridge of Spies, Dunkirk, Ready Player One, The BFG and Don’t Look Up grossing over $1 billion combined
Rylance’s career as a world-renowned theater actor laid the foundation. But it has been his roles in several high-profile, big-budget films in recent years that have had the biggest impact on building his multimillionaire net worth.
How Much Are Similar Actors Worth?
To provide context around Mark Rylance’s $16 million net worth figure, here is a comparison with a few similarly aged veteran English film and theater actors:
- Sir Ian McKellen – Est. net worth of $55 million
- Sir Michael Caine – Est. net worth of $160 million
- Sir Anthony Hopkins – Est. net worth of $180 million
While Rylance’s estimated net worth is substaintial at over $16 million and rising, it lags behind English acting peers like Hopkins and Caine who have been involved in higher grossing global blockbusters. Like his contemporaries though, Mark Rylance has still managed to establish elite actor net worth through smaller films and acclaimed theater.
Table 2 – Comparison of Actor’s Net Worths
|Est. Net Worth
In summary, with an estimated current net worth around $16 million, Mark Rylance stands as one of the most acclaimed and wealthiest English actors working today. His net worth derives primarily from an over 40 year career demonstrating exceptional acting prowess in theater, film and on television.
Rylance’s career path shows how concentration in a field like arts and theater can still lead to multimillionaire status, even without starring in major Hollywood blockbuster films or franchises over the decades. Though later in his career movies like Bridge of Spies have further elevated Mark Rylance’s wealth substantially thanks to backend profit participation and other bonuses in addition to large initial salaries.
As he enters his mid-60s, Mark Rylance continues actively adding to his impressive net worth through ongoing acclaimed acting roles. With future high-profile films like Wonka on the horizon, Rylance’s $16 million net worth appears likely to grow even larger in years ahead thanks to his lifetime of critically lauded performances informing his elite status as one of our generation’s greatest actors.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mark Rylance’s Net Worth
Has Mark Rylance won any major awards?
Yes, Mark Rylance is an accomplished award-winning actor across both film and theater. Some of his most prestigious honors include:
- Academy Award, BAFTA & Golden Globe – Best Supporting Actor (Bridge of Spies)
- Tony Awards – Best Actor in a Play (Boeing Boeing & Jerusalem)
- Emmy & Golden Globe – Lead Actor in TV movie/miniseries (Wolf Hall)
Rylance is highly respected as both a film and theater actor thanks to these and various other awards for his acting over the decades.
What were Mark Rylance’s biggest movies?
Some of Mark Rylance’s most commercially successful and well-known Hollywood movie roles include:
- Rudolf Abel in Bridge of Spies – His Academy Award winning role
- Thomas Cromwell in Wolf Hall – Emmy & Golden Globe winning TV/movie role
- Mr. Dawson in Dunkirk – Christopher Nolan’s WWII movie; over $500 million gross
- James Halliday in Ready Player One – Spielberg blockbuster; over $500 million
- The BFG in The BFG – Title role in Spielberg’s adaption of the Roald Dahl novel
Bridge of Spies and Dunkirk stand out as Mark Rylance’s highest grossing films so far, helping to increase his overall net worth.
Does Mark Rylance invest or own any businesses?
There is limited public information on Mark Rylance’s personal investments, assets or business ventures, likely because he chooses to keep that information private. Reportedly, some of his investments may include:
- Real estate assets such as properties in London and around the UK
- Ownership stakes in startups or private equity investments in U.K. companies
- Stock market investments with trading firms to grow wealth
Additionally, Mark Rylance co-founded London’s Globe Theater and served as its first artistic director for 10 years while honing his craft as an actor.
Where does Mark Rylance live?
For part of the year Mark Rylance lives in London, England where he owns a home. He has lived primarily in London dating back to his years as director of Shakespeare’s Globe theater in the city during the 90s.
Mark Rylance also owns a country home just outside London in rural England that allows him to get away from the bustle of the city. Reportedly he enjoys gardening and spending weekends there.
He also maintains an apartment in New York City for when he is performing in theater productions on Broadway or filming movies in Hollywood. Like many elite actors he splits time between homes in cities like New York, Los Angeles and London.
Does Mark Rylance still act?
Yes, at age 63 Mark Rylance maintains an active acting career to this day. Most recently he starred as Michael in 2022’s Bones and All directed by Luca Guadagnino and will play the title role in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory prequel Wonka in 2023 directed by Paul King.
Despite his advancing age, legendary actor Mark Rylance continues working regularly in film, TV and theater productions on both sides of the Atlantic. He remains in demand for his acclaimed acting talent that has earned him extensive critical praise and awards over his 40+ year career.