Raheem Sterling is an English professional footballer who plays as a winger and attacking midfielder for Premier League club Chelsea and the England national team.
Considered one of the best players of his generation, Sterling is known for his pace, movement, technical ability and goalscoring. He began his career with Liverpool in 2010 at age 15, becoming their youngest-ever player.
After winning the Golden Boy award in 2014, he moved to Manchester City in 2015 for £49 million, going on to achieve tremendous success including four Premier League titles.
Sterling made his senior England debut in 2012 aged 17, becoming the country’s second-youngest player. He has since earned over 70 caps, representing the nation at three World Cups and Euro 2020, where England were runners-up.
Here is a detailed look at Raheem Sterling’s biography, net worth, age, career achievements, records, family, and relationships.
Biography and Early Life
- Full Name: Raheem Shaquille Sterling
- Date of Birth: 8 December 1994 (age 28 years)
- Place of Birth: Kingston, Jamaica
- Parents: Nadine Clarke (mother)
- Siblings: Lakima Sterling (sister)
Raheem Sterling was born on December 8, 1994 in the Jamaican city of Kingston to mother Nadine Clarke. His father was shot dead in Jamaica when Raheem was just two years old.
At the age of five, Sterling emigrated to London, England with his mother. He grew up in the working class area of Stonebridge, northwest London.
As a child, Sterling attended Copland Community School in Wembley. He excelled in athletics from a young age.
Sterling has one sister named Lakima who is a beautician. Despite humble beginnings, their mother Nadine worked multiple jobs to support the family and recognize Raheem’s football talents.
- Began playing football at age 10 for local team Alpha & Omega
- Scouted by Queens Park Rangers in 2006, spent 2 years in their youth academy
- Signed for Liverpool youth team in 2010 at age 15 for £600,000
Sterling’s football career began locally when he joined Alpha & Omega FC in London at age 10. His prodigious talent was soon recognized by scouts from Queens Park Rangers.
In 2006, just shy of his 12th birthday, Sterling was signed to the QPR youth academy. He spent two years developing there before even bigger opportunities arose.
In February 2010, Sterling signed for the youth academy of Liverpool FC in a £600,000 deal. Then aged only 15, he began training at their Melwood facility and starring for the club’s Under 18 team.
- Made senior debut in March 2012 aged 17, becoming 2nd youngest player
- Scored first goal in December 2012 against Reading
- Won Liverpool Young Player of the Year in 2012 and 2014
- Established as regular starter under Brendan Rodgers in 2013/14
- Scored career-best 18 league goals in 2013/14 season
- Won Golden Boy Award as Europe’s top U-21 player in 2014
After impressing Liverpool coaches in the academy, Sterling was called up to the senior team by manager Kenny Dalglish in 2012 while still only 17. This made him Liverpool’s second-youngest ever debutant.
Sterling scored his first Liverpool goal in a league match against Reading in December 2012. His steady development was recognized with the Liverpool Young Player of the Year Award in both 2012 and 2014.
The 2013/14 season under Brendan Rodgers marked Sterling’s breakthrough into regular first-team action. Deployed as a winger, he scored 9 goals in 33 league matches as Liverpool narrowly missed out on the Premier League title.
Sterling enjoyed a stellar individual season, scoring 18 league goals in total. His performances earned him the prestigious Golden Boy award for Europe’s most impressive player under 21 that year.
Manchester City (2015-Present)
- Joined Manchester City in July 2015 for £49 million
- Struggled initially but improved under Pep Guardiola
- Helped Man City achieve domestic treble in 2018/19
- Won PFA Young Player of the Year in 2018 and FWA Award in 2019
- Premier League winner 2017/18, 2018/19, 2020/21 and 2021/22
- Total of 131 goals in 337 appearances for Manchester City
With his reputation enhanced, Sterling signed for Manchester City in July 2015 for a £49 million transfer fee. This made him then the most expensive English player in history.
After a slow start at City, Sterling’s form was transformed after Pep Guardiola took over as manager in 2016. Under Guardiola’s coaching, he developed into a world-class winger and attacker.
Sterling played a key role as City earned a domestic treble in 2018/19, winning the Premier League, FA Cup and EFL Cup. That season he scored 25 goals and provided 18 assists across all competitions.
Individually, Sterling was honored as the 2018 PFA Young Player of the Year and 2019 FWA Footballer of the Year. His contributions helped Manchester City secure four Premier League titles in five seasons between 2017-2022.
In total, Sterling has made over 330 appearances for Manchester City, scoring 131 goals. He has emerged as one of their most influential players of the modern era.
- Made England senior debut in November 2012 aged 17
- Represented England at 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016
- Total of 77 caps and 19 goals for England as of November 2022
- Part of England squad that reached Euro 2020 final and 2022 World Cup
Sterling’s precocious talent led to recognition at international level from an early age. He made his senior England debut in November 2012 aged just 17 against Sweden. This made him England’s second-youngest full international after Theo Walcott.
Since then, Sterling has earned over 70 caps for the England national team. He played for them at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and Euro 2016 tournament.
As of November 2022, Sterling has scored 19 goals for England. He was part of the squad that reached the final of Euro 2020, as well as featuring at the 2022 World Cup.
Sterling continues to be an important player for England and has been tipped as a future national team captain.
Net Worth, Salary & Endorsements
- Estimated net worth of £100 million as of 2022
- Among the highest-paid players in the Premier League
- Reported salary of £300,000 per week at Manchester City
- Endorsement deals with Nike, Gillette, Pepsi and EA Sports
- Investments in real estate and startup companies
According to reports, Raheem Sterling has an estimated net worth of over £100 million as of 2022. His lucrative playing contracts and endorsement deals have made him one of the wealthiest footballers in the world.
At Manchester City, Sterling earns a salary of approximately £300,000 per week. This makes him among the highest-paid players in the Premier League.
Additionally, Sterling has endorsement deals with major brands like Nike, Gillette, Pepsi and EA Sports. These deals are worth millions annually.
Off the field, Sterling has made smart investments in real estate properties as well as tech startups. His business ventures and playing career have contributed to his immense wealth despite being just 28 years old.
- Engaged to Paige Milian, partner since 2013
- Has three children – two sons and one daughter
- Active on social media with millions of followers
- Promotes anti-racism and youth empowerment initiatives
- Holds Jamaican and British dual nationality
- Known for extensive body tattoo collection
In his personal life, Raheem Sterling has been in a long-term relationship with model Paige Milian since 2013. They are now engaged and have three children together – two sons named Thiago and Thai-Cruz, and a daughter named Melody Rose.
Sterling has millions of followers across social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter. He uses these channels to engage with fans and also promote anti-racism and youth empowerment campaigns.
Born in Jamaica, Sterling holds dual British and Jamaican nationality. He is known for having an extensive collection of distinctive tattoos, covering both arms and legs.
Off the field, Sterling leads a relatively private life centered around family. He credits his mother Nadine for the support she provided in his childhood.
Controversies and Issues
- Criticized for tattoo of assault rifle in 2018
- Targeted with racist abuse during matches on occasion
- Involved in bust-up with Joe Gomez on England duty in 2019
- Accused of flouting lockdown rules during pandemic
While hugely successful on the field, Sterling has occasionally been embroiled in controversies off it:
- In 2018, he was strongly criticized in the British press for unveiling a tattoo of an M16 assault rifle on his leg. Sterling defended it as relating to his late father.
- He has been subjected to racist
In summary, Raheem Sterling is one of the most talented English footballers of his generation. Since emerging as a prodigious teenager at Liverpool, he has developed into a world-class winger and goalscorer.
His record-breaking £49 million transfer to Manchester City allowed Sterling to reach greater heights. Under Pep Guardiola’s coaching, he has won multiple Premier League titles and domestic trophies with City.
With over 70 international caps at just 28 years old, Sterling is also an integral part of England’s national team. His searing pace and technical quality make him a constant threat for club and country.
Off the pitch, Sterling leads a private life centered around family. He uses his platform to promote anti-racism and give back to youth through philanthropic initiatives. His continued success in coming years will likely cement his legacy as one of England’s greatest ever wingers.
How old is Raheem Sterling?
Raheem Sterling is currently 28 years old. He was born on December 8, 1994 in Kingston, Jamaica.
What is Raheem Sterling’s net worth?
Sterling has an estimated net worth of over £100 million as of 2022. His lucrative playing contracts and endorsement deals have made him one of the wealthiest footballers in the world.
Which club did Raheem Sterling start his career with?
Sterling began his professional career with Liverpool FC in 2010 after joining their youth academy aged 15. He made his senior debut aged 17 in 2012.
When did Raheem Sterling transfer to Manchester City?
Sterling signed for rivals Manchester City in July 2015 for a fee of £49 million, then the highest ever paid for an English player.
How many trophies has Sterling won with Man City?
With Manchester City, Sterling has won 4 Premier League titles, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups and 1 Community Shield.
What number does Raheem Sterling wear for England?
Sterling wears the number 10 shirt for the England national team, having previously worn numbers 7 and 11 earlier in his international career.
How many goals has Sterling scored for England?
As of November 2022, Sterling has scored 19 goals in 77 appearances for the England senior national team since his debut in 2012.
Is Raheem Sterling married?
Raheem Sterling is engaged to long-term partner Paige Milian. They have been together since 2013 and have three children together.