Colin Jost is an American comedian, actor, and writer who is best known for being a cast member on Saturday Night Live and co-anchor of the Weekend Update segment. He has built an impressive career in comedy and entertainment over the past 15 years.
But how much is Colin Jost actually worth with his various endeavors? Here is a comprehensive overview of Colin Jost’s net worth and how he has accumulated his wealth over the years.
What is Colin Jost’s Net Worth?
According to multiple net worth calculators and wealth tracking sites, Colin Jost’s net worth is estimated to be around $8 million as of 2023. The majority of his wealth has come from his long tenure at Saturday Night Live, where he earns a considerable salary as a cast member and writer.
He also earns additional income from acting roles, standup comedy tours, and other ventures. With his career still going strong, his net worth will likely continue rising in the coming years.
Breakdown of Colin Jost’s Net Worth
Here is a breakdown of where Colin Jost’s $8 million net worth comes from:
- Saturday Night Live Salary: As a long-time cast member and writer on SNL since 2005, Colin earns approximately $25,000 per episode, adding up to around $500,000 per year. Over 15+ years on the show, this accounts for the bulk of his net worth.
- Movie Salaries: He has earned salaries from acting in movies like Tom and Jerry, Coming 2 America, and Worst Man. These have added up to an estimated $1-2 million total.
- Standup Comedy: Colin regularly does standup tours when not working on SNL. He has performed several solo tours as well as shows with John Mulaney. Comedy tours have contributed around $1-2 million to his net worth.
- Writing & Other Jobs: He has earned income from writing jobs, including the White House Correspondents Dinner speech in 2017. Other gigs have added a few hundred thousand dollars over the years.
- Investments and Assets: Colin has money invested in stocks, real estate, and other assets that have grown his net worth by a few million dollars. This includes appreciated real estate he owns.
When all of these income sources are added up, Colin Jost’s current net worth is estimated to be $8 million. Of course, taxes and expenses account for deductions from his total earnings over the years.
How Did Colin Jost Become Famous and Wealthy?
Colin Jost’s road to amassing his $8 million net worth started back in the early 2000s when he was a student at Harvard University. Here is an overview of how Jost gained fame and wealth over his career:
- Wrote for the Harvard Lampoon: While at Harvard, Colin wrote for the legendary humor publication The Harvard Lampoon. This kickstarted his comedy writing career.
- Joined SNL as a Writer in 2005: After college, Jost got hired by SNL at age 22 to be a staff writer. He won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing his first year.
- Became Head Writer for SNL in 2012: After seven years on the writing staff, Colin was promoted to become one of the head writers for the show.
- Started Appearing on Weekend Update in 2014: He transitioned from just writing to becoming an on-air cast member in 2014 as co-anchor of Weekend Update. This boosted his fame.
- Continued Working on SNL for 15+ Years: Colin has remained on SNL for over 15 years now between writing and being on-air talent. This long tenure has provided steady income.
- Played Movie and TV Roles: He has branched out to acting, landing roles in movies like Tom and Jerry (2021) and shows like Parks and Recreation.
- Performed Standup Comedy Tours: Jost has done many standup tours over the years, including co-headlining with John Mulaney. Standup provides another revenue stream.
With these primary projects spanning his 20+ year career, Colin Jost leveraged his comedy writing talents to become a major player at SNL and household name in entertainment. His $8 million net worth is a testament to his comedy success.
What is Colin Jost’s Salary from Saturday Night Live?
As a long-time cast member and writer on Saturday Night Live, the bulk of Colin Jost’s wealth comes from his SNL salary. He first joined the show as a writer in 2005 and became a Weekend Update anchor and cast member around 2013-2014.
It’s estimated that Colin earns around $25,000 per SNL episode he appears in. With approximately 21 episodes per season, that equates to around $500,000 per year from SNL.
Given that Jost has been with the show for 15+ years now, his total SNL salary likely totals between 6 to 8 million dollars. Even in his early years as just a writer, he was still earning a healthy six-figure salary. SNL has been the cornerstone of Colin Jost’s net worth and career.
What Other Income Sources Contribute to Colin Jost’s Net Worth?
While Saturday Night Live accounts for the major part of Colin Jost’s $8 million net worth, he has earned income from other sources over the years as well:
- Standup Comedy – Jost has performed standup tours periodically while on breaks from SNL. He’s done both solo specials and tours co-headlining with John Mulaney. Comedy tours have likely earned Colin a few million dollars total.
- Acting Roles – He has had small roles in movies like Tom and Jerry (2021), Coming 2 America (2021), and Worst Man (2022). These film salaries add up to around $1-2 million.
- Writing Jobs – In addition to writing for SNL, Colin has made money from other writing gigs. Most notably, he was head writer for the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2017.
- Investments – With his high SNL salary, Colin has money invested in real estate, stocks, and other appreciating assets. These have grown his net worth over the years as well.
- Commercials/Endorsements – As his fame has grown, Jost has earned money from participating in commercials and brand endorsements. However, these are likely a smaller contribution to his overall wealth.
While SNL is still his primary source of income, Colin Jost has been able to build his $8 million net worth from a variety of income streams and smart investments.
How Much Money Does Colin Jost Earn From Standup Comedy?
In addition to his SNL salary, Colin Jost supplements his income and net worth with money earned from standup comedy tours and specials. Here are some estimates of how much Jost earns from standup:
- As a headliner, Colin can likely command between $150k to $300k for a single standup tour, based on typical payment rates for top comics.
- For his Netflix special Colin Jost: A Very Punchable Face, he likely earned around 1-2 million dollars after factoring in streaming royalties.
- When co-headlining tours with John Mulaney, total earnings are even higher. Their joint tours likely gross 3-5 million dollars, split between them.
- Colin’s total income from standup is estimated to be around 3 million dollars since he started regularly touring. This provides a lucrative side income outside SNL.
Of course taxes, touring expenses, payments to openers, and booking agent fees eat into these gross tour earnings. But standup has still been very financially rewarding for Colin Jost and helped grow his overall net worth as a performer.
How Much Has Colin Jost Earned from Movie Roles?
While primarily known for television, Colin Jost has also branched out into making money from acting roles in movies over the past few years. Here are estimates of how much he has earned from major film roles so far:
- For his role as himself in Tom & Jerry (2021), earnings are estimated around $500,000 to $1 million.
- For playing a supporting role in Coming 2 America (2021), he likely earned around $250,000 to $500,000.
- Pay for his role in the indie film Worst Man (2022) was likely $50,000 to $100,000.
- Total income from other miscellaneous and cameo movie/TV roles is around a few hundred thousand dollars.
In total, Colin Jost has likely earned between $1 to 2 million dollars so far in his film acting career. With his fame continuing to grow, his acting paydays will likely keep getting bigger with future roles. Combined with his other income sources, movie salaries contribute incrementally to building his $8 million net worth.
What Businesses and Investments Does Colin Jost Have?
Aside from direct income sources like SNL and standup, Colin Jost has accumulated wealth through business investments and assets such as:
- Real estate – Jost owns real estate in New York City and Southern California. Appreciating property values have grown his net worth over time.
- Stock market – He invests a portion of his income in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. The stock market has provided compound growth.
- Production company – Colin co-founded the production company Irony Point. Media projects create another revenue stream.
- Sponsors/endorsements – As his fame has increased, Jost has partnered with brands like Heineken, Pepsi, and BMW for paid sponsorships.
- Restaurants – Colin is a silent investor in the hospitality group Sunday Hospitality, which operates restaurants in NYC. This provides passive income.
Like other wealthy celebrities, Colin Jost has diversified his income streams and assets to continue growing his multi-million dollar net worth each year beyond just linear salary earnings.
How Much Does Colin Jost Earn Annually?
Here is a breakdown of Colin Jost’s approximate annual income adding up his various projects:
- Saturday Night Live salary – $500,000
- Standup comedy tours – $250,000 to $500,000
- Acting gigs – $100,000 to $250,000
- Writing jobs – $50,000 to $100,000
- Investments/business income – $100,000 to $200,000
Total Colin Jost Annual Earnings: Around $1 Million to $1.5 Million
Of course, this can vary year to year based on how busy Jost is outside of SNL. But his long-running NBC salary provides a comfortable base, while other gigs help him earn total compensation in the 7-figures consistently.
What Awards Has Colin Jost Won?
Here are some of Colin Jost’s most notable awards and accolades he has received during his comedy career:
- Emmy Awards: Jost has won 6 Emmy awards, including for SNL and writing stints at the ESPY awards and White House Correspondents Dinner.
- Writers Guild Awards: He has won 4 WGA awards for his work writing SNL sketches and the White House Correspondents Dinner.
- Peabody Awards: Colin shared a Peabody Award with the SNL writing staff for the show’s political satire and coverage of the 2008 election.
While income and net worth are measures of monetary success, these awards highlight Colin Jost’s achievements as a comedy writer and performer at the highest levels of the entertainment industry.
How Does Colin Jost Spend His Money?
With a net worth of $8 million, how does Colin Jost spend his fortune? Here are some of his notable purchases and lifestyle expenses:
- Real estate – Jost owns an apartment in New York City worth around $2 million. He also has a home in LA around $1 million.
- Wedding – His lavish 2020 wedding to Scarlett Johansson likely cost over $500,000 factoring in venue, food, entertainment.
- Donations – He contributes to various philanthropic causes and non-profits. Jost also supports political initiatives and campaigns.
- Travel – Colin can afford luxury vacations to places like Italy, France, ski trips, tropical getaways. First-class flights, hotels, etc.
- Assistants and staff – Having personal assistants, trainers, drivers, and domestic staff costs six-figures annually.
- Nice cars – Jost has owned high-end vehicles like a Tesla Model S luxury electric car.
Overall, Colin Jost has many of the trappings you would expect from an A-list celebrity and comedian worth millions. But he balances lavish spending with investments to keep growing his wealth.
Fun Facts About Colin Jost’s Net Worth
Colin Jost has amassed an impressive $8 million net worth as a cast member on Saturday Night Live. Here are 5 fun facts about his wealth:
His first ever standup special in 2020 was titled “A Very Punchable Face”, poking fun at critics who dislike him. It was filmed at the Chicago Theater.
Jost bought a luxury two-bedroom apartment in Manhattan in 2019 for $2.2 million. His mortgage is likely $10,000+ per month.
He owns an olive green 1966 Ford Mustang convertible, valued around $50,000. Jost is a car enthusiast.
In 2018, he got engaged to actress Scarlett Johansson with a $450,000 11-carat engagement ring. They married in 2020.
Colin’s net worth is double that of the average SNL cast member. But he still makes far less than veterans like Kenan Thompson.
In summary, Colin Jost has accumulated an impressive net worth of approximately $8 million through his comedy career spanning over 20 years. Much of his wealth stems from 15+ years earning around $500,000 annually as a cast member on NBC’s Saturday Night Live. Additional income from movie roles, standup tours, writing gigs, endorsements, and investments have enabled Colin’s net worth to keep growing.
Despite his tremendous financial success, Colin Jost maintains a relatively low-key lifestyle and spends money primarily on real estate, travel, and a nice car collection. At 40 years old, he is part of a new generation of SNL cast members who have managed to leverage the show into multi-million dollar net worths. With many more prime earning years ahead, expect Colin Jost’s net worth to keep rising assuming he remains on SNL and active in Hollywood.
Colin Jost Net Worth FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about Colin Jost’s net worth and money:
How much does Colin Jost make per SNL episode?
Per episode of SNL, Colin Jost is estimated to earn around $25,000 as a long-time cast member. With 21 episodes per season, that equates to $500,000 per year just from SNL.
What is Colin Jost’s salary at SNL?
Jost’s SNL salary is around $500,000 per season. Over his 15+ years on the show, he has earned an estimated $6 – $8 million total from SNL.
How did Colin Jost get so rich?
He accumulated his $8 million net worth primarily through 15+ years working on Saturday Night Live as a cast member and writer. Additional income from standup, movie roles, writing, and investments have also made him wealthy.
How much does Colin Jost make from standup?
Colin earns between $250k to $500k for a single standup tour. For big specials like his Netflix show, he can make 1-2 million. Total standup income is likely around $3 million.
What is Colin Jost’s net worth compared to other SNL cast members?
Jost’s $8 million net worth is on the higher end compared to current SNL cast mates. But veterans like Kenan Thompson, who has been on the show for 19 years, is worth $15 million.
Is Colin Jost a billionaire?
No, Colin Jost’s net worth is estimated to be $8 million. While very wealthy, his net worth and career earnings do not reach billionaire status.