Grace Kelly was an American actress who later became Princess of Monaco. She was extremely popular as an actress in the 1950s, starring in classic films like “High Noon,” “Dial M for Murder,” and “Rear Window.” After marrying Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956, she became royalty and a beloved princess. But what was Grace Kelly’s net worth, both as an actress and as Princess Grace?
What was Grace Kelly’s net worth as an actress?
Before marrying into royalty, Grace Kelly had built up considerable net worth as a successful Hollywood actress. Here is a look at her acting career finances:
Acting salary over time
- Kelly’s first ever acting gig earned her $125 per week for her stage debut in 1947’s “The Father.”
- By 1949, she was earning $300 per week as a junior member of the Actor’s Studio.
- Her breakout role in the Gary Cooper western “High Noon” earned her $750 per week in 1952.
- In 1954, she earned $15,000 ($156,000 today) for starring alongside Bing Crosby in “The Country Girl.”
- Her highest acting paycheck was $750,000 ($7.7 million today) for working with Cary Grant in Alfred Hitchcock’s “To Catch a Thief” in 1955.
Table 1 shows how her acting salary increased over her career:
|Salary in 2023 Dollars
|$125 per week
|$1,800 per week
|$300 per week
|$3,700 per week
|$750 per week
|$8,200 per week
|The Country Girl
|To Catch a Thief
|$7.7 million total
Total net worth from acting career
It is estimated that Grace Kelly earned around $800,000 ($8.3 million today) total for her acting roles in Hollywood.
At the peak of her acting career before retiring from films in 1956, Grace Kelly’s net worth is estimated to have been around $10 million when adjusted for inflation.
What was Grace Kelly’s net worth as Princess of Monaco?
Upon marrying Prince Rainier III in 1956, Kelly became royalty and thus had access to wealth and assets as the Princess of Monaco. Here is an overview:
The Grimaldi Family Wealth
Prince Rainier was heir to the 700-year-old House of Grimaldi – one of the oldest royal families in the world. The family has owned considerable assets over centuries, including:
- Land/palace ownership since the 13th century
- Railway shares in the early 1900s
- Real estate across Europe
- Art collection with pieces like Van Gogh and Picasso paintings
Grace’s Allowance and Income Sources as Princess
- It is estimated Grace received an allowance of $1 million per year from her husband to spend on whatever she wished.
- She also had income from perfume royalties, as she launched her own “Grace of Monaco” perfume line in 1955 prior to her marriage.
- Any official trips or state dinners attended earned her appearance fees as well.
Estimated Total Net Worth
Given the assets and allowances at her disposal, it has been estimated that Grace Kelly had a net worth of $100 million at the later stage of her life as Princess Grace.
How did Grace Kelly spend her fortune?
As a Hollywood actress and European princess, Grace lived a lavish lifestyle with exquisite taste. Here is a breakdown of where her money went:
Grace maintained luxurious homes across the world:
- A 12-room apartment across two floors of Olympic Tower in NYC.
- An 18-room mansion in Philadelphia purchased for her family.
- Rooms within the Prince’s Palace of Monaco as her primary residence.
She often chartered yachts with Prince Rainier for cruises along the Mediterranean, spending over $350,000 per trip in today’s money.
Jewelry & Fashion
Her engagement ring from Prince Rainier was a 10.5 carat diamond ring by Cartier worth over $4 million today. She had an extensive jewelry collection of precious stones and metals. Her clothing, furs, and hat collection was also iconic and valued at millions per year.
Both as an actress and princess, Grace made generous donations to causes like the arts and children’s charities. Much of her fortune went towards philanthropic endeavors over her lifetime.
What happened to Grace Kelly’s net worth after she died?
Princess Grace tragically died in a car crash in 1982 at the age of 52. Afterwards:
- Her husband Prince Rainier never remarried and died in 2005. Grace’s eldest daughter Caroline became de facto first lady of Monaco.
- Grace left behind an estate worth $40 million that was inherited by her children Albert, Caroline, and Stéphanie.
- Albert II is the current Prince of Monaco and has a personal net worth of over $1 billion. Caroline also increased her net worth through separate business ventures and investments.
So while Grace Kelly passed away at a young age, her legacy lives on through her children who inherited and expanded her wealth. Between her acting and princess net worth, her fortune has left a lasting impact.
Questions on Grace Kelly’s Wealth
Here are some common search engine results page (SERP) questions people ask regarding Grace Kelly’s net worth over her life:
What was Grace Kelly’s peak net worth?
It is estimated that Grace Kelly’s personal net worth hit its peak later in her life as Princess Grace of Monaco, topping $100 million thanks to royal allowance, assets, jewelry, and real estate.
How much did Grace Kelly earn for her biggest acting role?
Grace Kelly earned $750,000 ($7.7 million adjusted for inflation) for her lead performance in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1955 thriller “To Catch a Thief” alongside Cary Grant. This was her highest acting salary over her career in Hollywood.
Did Grace Kelly die rich? What was her final net worth?
Yes, Grace had an estate worth $40 million when she passed away in 1982 at just 52 years old, ensuring her children inherited considerable wealth.
Was Grace Kelly a billionaire or millionaire?
Though she lived a lavish lifestyle with the royalty in Monaco, Grace Kelly was never a billionaire. But she did ultimately become a multi-millionaire over her life.
Where did Grace Kelly live? What real estate did she own?
As Princess of Monaco she lived primarily in the Prince’s Palace in Monaco. She also owned a 12-room Olympic Tower condo in New York City and an 18-room Philadelphia mansion for her family.
In summary, Grace Kelly earned about $800,000 ($8.3 million adjusted) in her popular yet brief Hollywood acting career, garnering a net worth around $10 million at her peak before retiring from films to marry Prince Rainier III of Monaco.
As royalty, Princess Grace gained access to far greater wealth through allowances, real estate, and jewelry – accumulating a net worth estimated over $100 million later in life as the Princess of Monaco.
Though she died relatively young at age 52, Grace left behind an estate of $40 million inherited by her children. So while she lived a tragically short life, her financial legacy persists through her heirs Prince Albert and Princess Caroline, who inherited and expanded her wealth. Grace Kelly remains an icon as both a beloved actress of the Golden Age of Hollywood and real-life princess.
Frequently Asked Questions
Did Grace Kelly die poor?
No, Grace Kelly was wealthy when she died. She had an estate worth $40 million that was inherited by her children upon her untimely death in a car crash in 1982 at the age of 52.
Was Grace Kelly a millionaire or billionaire when she married Prince Rainier?
Grace was estimated to be a millionaire from her acting career upon retirement in 1956. But upon marrying Prince Rainier, she gained access to far greater royal wealth in Monaco on her way to an eventual net worth over $100 million.
How much was Grace Kelly’s engagement ring worth?
The 10.5 carat diamond engagement ring Prince Rainier proposed to Kelly with was crafted by Cartier. Over the years it has been valued at over $4 million.
Where did Grace Kelly live as Princess of Monaco? Did she have homes elsewhere?
Her primary residence was the Prince’s Palace in Monaco. She also maintained a 12-room condo across two floors in New York City’s Olympic Tower and an 18-room Philadelphia mansion purchased for her family.