Gemma Arterton is an English actress who has starred in films such as Quantum of Solace, Clash of the Titans, and The Disappearance of Alice Creed. She has built an impressive acting career over the past decade and has amassed a significant net worth along the way.
Arterton was born in Gravesend, Kent in 1986. She discovered her passion for acting at a young age and attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art to hone her craft. Her breakthrough role came in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace in 2008, playing Bond girl Strawberry Fields. This high-profile role put Arterton on the map and paved the way for more roles in major blockbuster films.
Some of Arterton’s most notable acting credits include:
- Quantum of Solace (2008) – Bond girl Strawberry Fields
- Clash of the Titans (2010) – Io
- Tamara Drewe (2010) – Tamara Drewe
- Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) – Gretel
- The Girl with All the Gifts (2016) – Helen Justineau
- Their Finest (2016) – Catrin Cole
- The King’s Man (2021) – Polly Wilkins
In addition to film, Arterton has also starred in theater productions and TV shows. She won an Olivier Award for Best Actress for her performance in the play Made in Dagenham in 2014.
Arterton has established herself as an acclaimed and versatile actress across both screens big and small. Her acting talent and wise role choices have contributed greatly to building her overall net worth.
What is Gemma Arterton’s Net Worth?
According to multiple sources, Gemma Arterton’s current net worth is estimated to be around $13 million as of 2024.
The majority of Arterton’s net worth comes from her salaries for acting in films. As her career has progressed and her profile has risen, she has been able to command higher paychecks for her movie roles. For example, she likely earned a seven-figure salary for her appearances in big-budget films like Clash of the Titans and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.
Arterton also supplements her acting income with modelling and brand endorsement work. She has done campaigns for brands like G-Star Raw, Avon and Love Made Me Do It jewellery. These deals are likely worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and contribute to her overall wealth.
In addition to earning, Arterton has been prudent with her money and made smart investments. She owns a number of properties in England that are likely worth millions combined. Real estate is a common way for celebrities like Arterton to invest their money and generate additional income.
While $13 million is a huge amount of money, it is a modest net worth compared to many top Hollywood actresses. As Arterton is only in her late 30s, she has ample time to continue growing her wealth with future acting roles and business ventures. If she maintains her current trajectory, her net worth could easily reach $20-30 million in the next decade.
How Did Gemma Arterton Build Her Net Worth?
Gemma Arterton has accumulated her $13 million net worth in just over a decade thanks primarily to her salaries from acting in movies. Here is a breakdown of how she has built such impressive wealth in a relatively short time span:
- Film salaries – Arterton has earned millions from her fees for acting in major movies. Some of her biggest paydays likely came from Quantum of Solace, Prince of Persia, Hansel and Gretel, and Clash of the Titans which had budgets over $100 million. Even smaller indie films pay well into six figures.
- Upfront pay vs residuals – For her major studio films, Arterton likely negotiated an upfront salary in the mid 6-figures to low 7-figures range. These paychecks constitute the bulk of her movie earnings. She also earns residuals from these films being aired/streamed later on.
- Modelling – Early in her career, Arterton did some modelling work for brands like Avon, Love Made Me Do It, and G-Star Raw. While not a huge money maker, these deals earned her a nice income stream outside of acting.
- Brand endorsements – As her fame rose, Arterton earned endorsement deals with major brands like Avon, Voi Jeans, and Thomas Sabo jewellery. These deals can pay actresses anywhere from $100k to $1 million per year.
- Investments – Rather than splurging her money, Arterton has invested in real estate assets. She owns homes in England worth several million that help diversify her assets.
- Broadway & theater – Arterton has earned income from starring in West End and Broadway productions. Her Olivier award-winning play likely earned her over $1 million during its long run.
By combining big paydays from acting with smart investment choices, Gemma Arterton has been able to amass an impressive $13 million net worth that should continue rising in years to come.
As an established and acclaimed actress, Gemma Arterton now commands impressive salaries for her movie roles. Here are estimates of what she likely earned for some of her biggest films:
- Quantum of Solace – $500k to $1 million
- Clash of the Titans – $1 to $3 million
- Prince of Persia – $1 to $2 million
- Tamara Drewe – $500k
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters – $3 to $5 million
These big paychecks constitute the bulk of Arterton’s career earnings and net worth. Her upfront salaries are likely supplemented by backend residuals and bonuses depending on the film’s success.
Arterton has lent her fame to endorse major brands:
- Avon – Multimillion dollar deal
- G-Star Raw – Likely low 6-figures
- Thomas Sabo – Mid 6-figures annually
- Voi Jeans – Low 6-figures
As an international star, Arterton can command 6 and 7 figure deals with brands seeking a glamorous and recognizable spokesperson.
How Does Gemma Arterton Spend Her Money?
While Arterton has been prudent with her money, she still enjoys her wealth and has spent on some luxuries:
- Properties – Owns luxury houses in England worth several million. Primary home is a $4 million farmhouse.
- Cars – Has been spotted driving Range Rovers, Audis and BMWs. Likely spent $75k+ on vehicles.
- Travel – Often travels in style and comfort. Estimated $100k+ on first class flights, hotels and vacations annually.
- Jewelry – Has a penchant for fine jewelry and wears designer pieces. Likely has $500k+ worth of jewelry.
- Fashion – Attends events in designer gowns, dresses and heels. Her wardrobe is likely worth $500k+.
- Beauty – Gets very expensive facial treatments and spends generously on skin care. About $50k/year on beauty.
- Security – Has personal security guards and team for protection. Over $100k/year for security.
- Taxes – Pays a high tax rate on her multimillion dollar earnings. Likely pays 30-40% to the government.
Even with luxuries, Arterton lives comfortably within her means. Her money savvy has allowed her to amass significant assets.
What Are Gemma Arterton’s Main Sources of Income?
These are the main sources that contribute to Gemma Arterton’s annual income:
- Movie salaries – $2 to $5 million per year
- Residuals – $500k to $1 million
- Endorsements – $500k to $1 million
- Investments/real estate – $500k
- Theater work – $250k
Arterton’s annual income varies depending on her projects and work volume each year. In years where she has major movie releases, her income can reach $10 million+. In quieter years it drops down to a still healthy $3-$5 million.
Her career earnings will continue rising as she commands higher salaries from proven box office success. She is strategic about taking on endorsement deals with lucrative fees as well.
What Businesses and Investments Does Gemma Arterton Have?
Arterton has been prudent with her movie earnings and created a diversified portfolio of assets and investments:
Arterton owns at least $10 million worth of luxurious residential properties, mostly around England. Her real estate assets include:
- Primary UK farmhouse – Worth around $4 million
- London townhouse – Over $2 million value
- European vacation homes – Combined $3 to $5 million in value
She earns sizable rental income from leasing out certain properties. Real estate is a smart investment for her wealth.
In 2018, Arterton launched her own production company Rebel Park Productions to have more creative control over projects. It will open up additional revenue streams for her going forward.
As a savvy investor, Arterton likely has portions of her wealth invested in stocks, index funds, bonds and other vehicles to diversify.
Arterton has the resources to invest in or co-found new companies and brands. This could become a major source of income.
With her diverse income streams and portfolio, Arterton is able to earn millions every year through smart investments alone.
How Much Does Gemma Arterton Make a Year?
According to estimates, Gemma Arterton’s annual income in recent years has been:
2018 – $8 to $10 million
- Big budget films: The Escape, The King’s Man
- Endorsements: Avon, Thomas Sabo
2019 – $3 to $5 million
- Indie films: Vita & Virginia, Their Finest
2020 – $2 to $4 million
- Limited work due to pandemic
- Residuals and investments
2021 – $5 to $7 million
- The King’s Man release
- Real estate assets
2022 – $6 to $8 million (projected)
- Multiple film releases
- Sold home for $2 million profit
Arterton’s income varies depending on her project workload in a given year. In active years, she can earn $10 million+ from movie salaries and endorsements. Her assets like real estate also provide millions in recurring income.
As her career expands, she has potential to be making over $10 million each year in the future.
What Awards Has Gemma Arterton Won?
Some key awards and nominations Gemma Arterton has received:
- Olivier Award for Best Actress – Won for Made in Dagenham play (2014)
- Empire Award for Best Newcomer – Won for Quantum of Solace role (2009)
- Evening Standard Award – Won Rising Star award (2009)
- Glamour Awards – Won Woman of the Year, UK TV Actress awards (2013)
- Harper’s Bazaar Women of the Year – Won British Actress of the Year (2018)
- Satellite Awards – Nominated for Actress in a Miniseries/TV Film for Temple (2012)
- London Critics’ Circle – Nominated for Supporting Actress of the Year for Their Finest (2017)
While she has yet to win huge awards like an Oscar or Golden Globe, Arterton has received great recognition in the UK for her acting talents. Wins like her Olivier and Evening Standard awards show her credibility. As her career progresses, major award nominations are likely to come.
Interesting Facts About Gemma Arterton
Beyond just her wealth and career, here are some intriguing facts about Gemma Arterton’s life and path to success:
- Had a stalled start, working as a salesgirl and cleaner before hitting it big as an actress.
- Taught survival skills to real-life spies as part of secretive training for the James Bond film Quantum of Solace.
- Is trained in horseback riding and opera singing, talents she has used in roles.
- Her finger deformation from being born with extra joints has become her trademark asset.
- Is an avid writer and maintains an active lifestyle with running, yoga and hiking.
- Played Joan of Arc in Bernard Shaw’s play Saint Joan in London (2021).
- Is outspoken about women’s equality and labor rights, influenced by her early jobs.
- Has struggled with depression, alcoholism and low self-esteem at times despite her success.
- Remains down-to-earth and humble, living in a small English village rather than lavishly.
Gemma Arterton Quotes About Her Career
Gemma Arterton has shared insightful quotes over the years that provide a window into her professional path and success mindset:
“I’m very ambitious. I’ve always been like that. I think most actors have to be ambitious. Otherwise, you just get lost.”
“As an actress, there’s nothing worse than not being able to do your job because you’ve put on 30 pounds.”
“Playing a Bond girl is like joining an elite club that will open lots of doors.”
“When you feel so low that you can’t motivate yourself to work, you have to find something within to get going again. For me, it’s usually music.”
“Sometimes smaller indie films are more enjoyable than bigger blockbuster films.”
“I don’t want to play the pretty girl in films. I want to play interesting, flawed women.”
“When I’m between jobs, I get frustrated and feel like I should be doing more with my career all the time.”
“The training for action films is grueling. But I’ve discovered a love of physicality I didn’t know I had.”
In summary, Gemma Arterton has built an impressive acting resume and amassed a sizeable $13 million net worth in just over a decade in the entertainment industry. While not yet a household megastar, she earns multi-million dollar paychecks for roles in major studio films. She supplements this income through modelling, endorsements and savvy investments like real estate.
If Arterton continues her momentum and chooses roles wisely, her wealth and fame have potential to skyrocket. She could follow in the footsteps of British A-listers like Emily Blunt and Keira Knightley who now earn $10 to $20 million per movie. While Arterton ostensibly lives a glamorous life, she remains down-to-earth and humble focusing more on art than fame. With the majority of her career still ahead, Gemma Arterton’s net worth will likely continue rising in the coming decades.
Frequently Asked Questions
How did Gemma Arterton get so rich?
Gemma Arterton accumulated her $13 million net worth primarily through earning big salaries as an actress in hit blockbuster movies like Quantum of Solace, Clash of the Titans, and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. She likely earned millions for some of her biggest film roles.
What is Gemma Arterton’s most lucrative role?
Arterton’s most lucrative role is likely her turn as Gretel in Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters in 2013. As a proven box office star by this point, she likely earned $3 to $5 million upfront for the prominent role in the big-budget action horror flick.
Has Gemma Arterton ever been the highest paid actress in a movie?
While her film salaries are large, Arterton has not publicly been reported as the outright highest-paid actress on a movie. Her big paydays still pale in comparison to stars like Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence who can command $10 to $20 million upfront for movies.
How much money does Gemma Arterton make from endorsements?
Arterton has earned a small fortune from endorsement deals with brands like Avon, G-Star Raw and Thomas Sabo jewelry. These deals can pay anywhere from the mid six figures up to the low seven figures annually to beautiful and famous spokesmodels.
What movies has Gemma Arterton earned the most money from?
Arterton’s biggest paydays likely came from major studio tentpoles like Quantum of Solace, Prince of Persia, Clash of the Titans, and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. These bigger budget films had the resources to pay her multi-million dollar salaries and backend residuals.
Does Gemma Arterton invest in real estate?
Yes, Arterton has wisely invested some of her movie fortunes into lucrative real estate assets. She owns homes around England worth several million dollars that help diversify her income and grow her overall net worth.
Is Gemma Arterton a billionaire?
No, Gemma Arterton is not currently a billionaire. Her estimated net worth is around $13 million as of 2024. While very wealthy, her net worth is still about $987 million shy of billionaire status. If her career continues thriving, she has potential to gain billionaire status down the road.
How does Gemma Arterton spend her money?
Arterton spends money on real estate, luxury cars, jewelry, designer fashion, security, and glamorous vacations. However, she does not live an overly lavish lifestyle and remains prudent with her wealth. She has invested much of her earnings wisely.
Why is Gemma Arterton so rich?
Gemma Arterton is rich largely thanks to earning multimillion dollar salaries from her film acting work, especially big budget blockbuster movies. She has also supplemented this income smart