Jason Statham is an English actor and martial artist who has starred in numerous action thriller films over the past two decades. With his rugged good looks and athletic prowess, Statham has become one of Hollywood’s most bankable action stars. But how much is the popular action hero worth today?
What is Jason Statham’s Net Worth?
According to multiple sources, Jason Statham’s net worth is estimated to be around $70 million.
How Did Jason Statham Build His Net Worth?
Jason Statham built his impressive net worth through various means:
The primary source of Jason Statham’s wealth comes from his successful acting career in action movies. After starting out as a model and background dancer, Statham transitioned into acting in the late 1990s. He landed his breakthrough role in the 2000 British crime thriller Snatch.
Since then, Statham has established himself as a highly sought-after action star, commanding paychecks of $10-20 million per movie. Some of his most commercially successful films include The Transporter trilogy, Crank, The Expendables series, Fast & Furious 6, and the recent Hobbs & Shaw spinoff. In total, his movies have grossed over $1.5 billion at the box office worldwide.
In addition to his upfront fees, Statham also negotiates lucrative backend deals taking a cut of the profits from his hit movies. For example, he is estimated to have earned over $10 million from his backend points in Furious 7 alone as the movie grossed over $1.5 billion.
Statham also invests some of his wealth in real estate. He owns several lavish homes in Los Angeles, California, and the English countryside. In 2016, he sold one of his Beverly Hills mansions for around $11.5 million.
The action star likely earns a steady income from endorsement deals as well. He has been the face of French fashion house French Connection and starred in commercials for companies like Audi.
Milestones in Jason Statham’s Career
Here are some of the biggest milestones that have contributed to Jason Statham’s multimillion-dollar net worth:
- 2000 – Breakthrough role in crime thriller Snatch earns critical acclaim
- 2002 – Stars in first installment of popular Transporter action franchise
- 2006 – Plays lead role in action flick Crank, grossing $84.5 million
- 2011 – Appears in Fast Five, contributing to most profitable film in Fast & Furious series
- 2013 – Joins ensemble cast of action heroes in The Expendables 3
- 2015 – Reprises role in blockbuster Furious 7, earning over $10 million in backend points
- 2019 – Stars alongside Dwayne Johnson in first Fast & Furious spinoff, Hobbs & Shaw
With his continuous work output and mainstream popularity, Statham’s net worth is likely to keep growing in the future.
What Makes Jason Statham’s Brand So Valuable?
There are several factors that contribute to Jason Statham’s high net worth:
- Mainstream popularity – Statham has mass appeal among action movie fans worldwide. His name recognition sells tickets.
- Proven box office draw – The commercially successful track record of his movies gives Statham leverage to demand high salaries.
- Athletic skills – His genuine athleticism allows him to perform breathtaking stunts without relying too much on CGI effects.
- Rugged persona – Statham’s stern, masculine screen presence provides the perfect complement to his intense action roles.
- Typecasting – While he is somewhat pigeonholed in action flicks, Statham is the first name that comes to mind for these roles.
- Unique accent – Statham’s working-class London accent offers some distinction from typical American action heroes.
As long as he remains fit and in-demand for action movies that generate big box office returns, Statham’s brand value should continue rising.
How Does Jason Statham Spend His Money?
Though he often portrays down-and-out characters on screen, Jason Statham lives a lavish lifestyle off screen with his millions:
- Mansions – He owns luxurious homes in prime locations like Beverly Hills and the English countryside.
- Cars – Statham likes to spend on fancy sports cars and drives an Audi R8 Spyder among other vehicles.
- Jet-Setting – He frequently enjoys vacations on yachts and exotic destinations across the globe.
- Jewelry – Statham bought a 7-figure, one-of-a-kind diamond ring for model/actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.
- Clothing – He wears expensive designer fashion brands like Tom Ford and Givenchy.
- Restaurants – Being a foodie, Statham reportedly loves fine dining at upscale restaurants.
- Fitness – He invests in state-of-the-art fitness gear for his training regimen.
- Philanthropy – He has supported various causes like animal rights and the environment.
Despite his lavish purchases, Statham comes across as relatively low-key compared to some other Hollywood celebs.
Interesting Facts About Jason Statham’s Wealth
- Statham was once a high diver for the British National Diving Team before entering show business.
- Early in his career, he worked as a model and background dancer making about $400 per week.
- He claims to have never taken acting classes before becoming an actor.
- Statham dated model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley since 2010 before the couple announced their engagement in 2016.
- He prefers performing his own stunts to build authenticity in action sequences.
- To stay fit, Statham follows a strict workout regimen and diet consisting mainly of protein.
- He is an avid fan of football/soccer and supports teams like Chelsea FC and West Ham United FC.
- Statham enjoys adrenaline-fuelled hobbies like racing cars and competitive diving in his free time.
- He earned a reported $5 million for his appearance in 2001’s The One despite having just two lines of dialogue.
Jason Statham Net Worth Compared to Other Action Stars
While he does not quite measure up to the wealth of legends like The Rock and Stallone yet, Statham has built an impressive fortune in a relatively short time span as an action star. With his career showing no signs of slowing down, it is likely only a matter of time before he joins the $100 million club if he continues starring in successful blockbuster films.
How Much Does Jason Statham Make a Year?
According to reports, Jason Statham earns between $20 – 40 million per year through various endeavors. While his fees vary based on the project, here is a breakdown of his annual earnings:
- Movie salaries – $15 – 20 million
- Backend points on box office profits – $5 – 10 million
- Real estate income – $2 – 3 million
- Endorsements – $500,000 – 2 million
Statham’s income keeps him steadily among the highest-paid actors in the industry. Given his prudent investment strategies and selective filmography focusing on profitable action franchises, he should continue raking in tens of millions for years to come.
What is Jason Statham’s Salary Per Movie?
As one of the most sought-after action stars, Jason Statham typically earns between $10 – 20 million in base salary for his lead roles in major studio films. Some examples:
- The Meg (2018) – $12 million
- Fast & Furious 6 (2013) – $15 million
- The Expendables 3 (2014) – $15 million
- Spy (2015) – $10 million for his cameo role
- Hobbs & Shaw (2019) – $13 million
Statham likely earned his highest career payday for Furious 7, though the figure is undisclosed. He can command more for franchise films where the backend points on box office profits have big upside. Going forward, he will probably earn $15 – 20 million upfront for his major movie roles.
Jason Statham’s Early Life and Career Beginnings
Jason Statham was born on 26 July 1967 in Sydenham, London to a lounge singer father and dancer mother. He initially pursued a career as an athlete, competing for England’s National Diving team for the 1990 Commonwealth Games before getting discovered by a modeling talent scout. This paved the way for him to become a model for brands like French Connection.
During his modeling career, Statham was introduced to fledgling British director Guy Ritchie who cast him in a 10-minute short film called The Hatchet Man. Ritchie was so impressed by Statham’s performance that he gave him his first major movie role as “Bacon” in the 1998 crime comedy Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The rest is history.
In conclusion, Jason Statham has established himself as one of the most successful action movie stars of his generation through his shrewd career moves. With his intense on-screen persona coupled with commercial viability, Statham has built a reputation as a reliable box office draw capable of anchoring blockbuster franchises.
Though not quite yet in the same league as iconic veterans like Stallone or Schwarzenegger in terms of wealth, Statham’s estimated $70 million net worth proves his brand value in Hollywood. Given his steady work output in profitable action flicks and multi-million dollar per movie salaries, it is conceivable that the English actor will continue to see his fortune rise in the coming years.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How did Jason Statham get so rich?
Statham built his wealth primarily through his successful acting career, starring in numerous hit action movies that have grossed over $1.5 billion worldwide. He earns multi-million dollar salaries for his roles and gets lucrative backend points on box office profits.
What was Jason Statham’s breakthrough role?
Statham’s breakthrough role came in the 2000 British crime thriller Snatch directed by Guy Ritchie. The movie helped establish Statham as a charismatic action star and opened the door for more Hollywood films.
What are Jason Statham’s biggest movies?
Some of Statham’s highest-grossing movies include The Transporter franchise, Crank, The Expendables series, Furious 7, and Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw. He has built his wealth starring primarily in commercially successful action flicks.
Is Jason Statham one of the richest actors?
While he is not among the top richest actors like Dwayne Johnson or Tom Cruise, Statham has amassed an impressive $70 million net worth that places him among the wealthier actors in Hollywood. His brand value keeps rising.
How much money does Jason Statham make per movie?
Jason Statham typically earns between $10 – 20 million in base salary for his lead roles in major studio films. Additional backend points on profits can bring his earnings per movie to $15 – 30 million for especially big blockbusters.