Lily James is a popular English actress known for her roles in movies such as Cinderella, Baby Driver, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, and the TV series Downton Abbey. She has received several awards and nominations for her acting over the past decade.
James was born Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson on April 5, 1989 in Esher, Surrey, England. She began acting in school plays and local theatre productions as a child before studying acting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Her big break came in 2010 when she was cast as Lady Rose MacClare in the period drama Downton Abbey.
Since then, James has starred in numerous high-profile films including playing the title role in the 2015 live-action Disney adaptation of Cinderella. Other major movies she has appeared in include Baby Driver, Darkest Hour, Yesterday, and the Mamma Mia sequel Here We Go Again.
In addition to her film and television work, James has also performed in stage productions in London’s West End. She made her Broadway debut in 2016 playing the title role in The Night Manager.
Thanks to her successful acting career spanning over a decade, Lily James has amassed an impressive net worth. But just how much is the British actress worth?
What is Lily James’ Net Worth?
According to multiple reports, Lily James’ current net worth is estimated to be around $12 million as of 2023. The bulk of her wealth has come from her salaries for acting in high-profile movies and TV shows.
Some of James’ most lucrative acting paydays have included:
- Earning $3 million for starring as Cinderella in the 2015 Disney live-action adaptation.
- Making approximately $1.5 million for her role in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again in 2018.
- Getting paid over $1 million to appear in Baby Driver in 2017.
- Making $100,000 per episode for Downton Abbey. She appeared in 25 episodes meaning she made $2.5 million total for the series.
James has also supplemented her income over the years by modeling and brand endorsement deals. She has represented brands like Audi, My Burberry fragrances, and Bulgari jewelry.
While $12 million is certainly an impressive net worth, it is relatively modest compared to more veteran A-list Hollywood actresses. As James’ career continues to thrive, she has the potential to significantly grow her fortune in the future.
How Does Lily James Make Her Money?
The vast majority of Lily James’ multi-million dollar net worth has come from her lucrative salaries as an actress in high-profile films and TV shows. Some of the ways she has amassed her wealth include:
- Movie salaries – James earns several million dollars per major studio film she stars in. Her largest Hollywood paydays have come from movies like Cinderella ($3 million), Baby Driver ($1 million+), and Mamma Mia 2 ($1.5 million).
- TV show earnings – Her breakout role on Downton Abbey reportedly earned her $100k per episode. James starred in over 25 episodes meaning she made at least $2.5 million from the hit series.
- Stage productions – In addition to on-screen work, James has earned income performing in plays and musicals on London’s West End and Broadway.
- Brand partnerships – Lily James has represented high-end brands like Audi, My Burberry, and Bulgari as a model and brand ambassador. These deals can pay actresses millions per year.
- Fashion lines – James earned additional income from designing a fashion collection with UK brand My Wardrobe in 2017.
Going forward, the actress stands to earn even more from future films, endorsement deals, and launching her own ventures and products. As one of Hollywood’s most sought-after actresses, her earning potential remains high.
Lily James’ Assets: Houses, Cars, Lifestyle
With an $12 million net worth, Lily James has earned enough money to afford some luxurious assets and an overall lavish lifestyle. Some of James’ most valuable assets and possessions include:
- Primary residence in London, England – James owns a 4-bedroom townhouse in North London worth around $4 million.
- Los Angeles home – She reportedly bought a $3 million bungalow in the LA neighborhood of Los Feliz in 2020.
- Audi A3 convertible – James has been spotted driving this luxury compact convertible from her endorsement deal with Audi cars.
- Range Rover SUV – She has been photographed numerous times behind the wheel of a black Range Rover, a staple for many celebrities and British personalities.
Jewelry & Accessories
- James has modeled and promoted fine jewelry brands like Bulgari and Cartier.
- She often wears loaned designer dresses and jewelry worth tens of thousands to movie premieres and events.
- Tabloids estimate her overall jewelry collection to be worth around $500,000.
- First class travel
- Luxury vacations – James frequently takes lavish vacations to places like Italy, tropical beaches, ski resorts.
- Spas & self-care – She spends money on high-end grooming, spas, beauty treatments.
- Personal chef & trainer – To stay fit for roles, she employs a personal chef and trainer.
- Charity work – She donates to causes like the Wildlife Trusts and participates in fundraising campaigns.
Despite her wealth, James leads a relatively low-key lifestyle compared to many Hollywood stars. She prefers spending time with close friends and family over flashing expensive assets.
How Much Did Lily James Make From Her Most Popular Projects?
Throughout her career, Lily James has earned multi-million dollar paychecks for her work in some of her most popular projects. Here’s a breakdown of her estimated earnings from her biggest on-screen hits:
- Salary: $3 million
- James landed her first $1 million+ payday for playing the lead role in Disney’s live-action adaptation of the classic fairy tale.
Baby Driver (2017)
- Estimated Salary: $1-2 million
- The action heist movie further increased James’ earning power in Hollywood.
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018)
- Salary: $1.5 million
- James singing and dancing skills were on full display in this feel-good musical sequel.
Downton Abbey (2010-2015)
- Per episode salary: $100,000
- Over 25 episodes as Lady Rose MacClare, her earnings from the show totaled around $2.5 million.
- Salary: $3-4 million
- James co-starred alongside Himesh Patel in this fantasy romantic comedy with a Beatles soundtrack.
- Salary: $1-2 million
- She starred in this psychological thriller adapted from Daphne Du Maurier’s novel for Netflix.
Thanks to these lucrative paydays, Lily James has been able to build an $12 million net worth by age 32. And with her career on the rise, she has the potential to continue earning $1 million+ per film or TV series well into the future.
How Does Lily James’ Net Worth Compare to Other Actresses?
At an estimated $12 million net worth, Lily James has done very well for herself as an actress. However, her wealth is modest compared to more veteran and established Hollywood leading ladies.
Here’s how James’ current net worth compares to other popular actresses:
- Scarlett Johansson – $165 million
- Jennifer Lawrence – $160 million
- Julia Roberts – $250 million
- Jennifer Aniston – $300 million
- Meryl Streep – $150 million
- Emma Stone – $30 million
- Amy Adams – $60 million
- Margot Robbie – $20 million
Many actresses earn between $10-20 million per major blockbuster movie they star in. At just 32 years old, James has decades left in her career to narrow the earnings gap through future acting roles.
For a younger actress, Lily James’ $12 million net worth is still impressive. It also shows she commands over $1 million per major film role like other sought-after stars. As her resume continues to grow, so will her wealth and A-list status in Hollywood.
Summing Up Lily James’ Net Worth
In summary, Lily James has amassed an impressive net worth of $12 million, largely through her salaries from hit movies and TV shows. Some key takeaways on her wealth:
- The bulk of her fortune comes from acting earnings, especially her $1 million+ paychecks for films like Cinderella, Mamma Mia 2, and Baby Driver.
- Her breakout role on Downton Abbey made her around $2.5 million over the show’s run.
- James supplements her income through modeling, fashion lines, brand deals with companies like Audi.
- She lives a relatively low-key lifestyle compared to other Hollywood stars.
- Her $12 million net worth is modest compared to more veteran actresses like Jennifer Lawrence and Julia Roberts.
- At just 32, James has plenty of time to build on her wealth through future acting roles commanding $5-10 million or more per movie.
As one of the most sought-after actresses under 40, don’t be surprised if Lily James’ net worth doubles or even triples within the next decade. She has proven her box office draw and earned her place among the next generation of talented and highly-paid leading ladies.
In closing, Lily James has quickly become one of the most sought-after actresses under 40 in Hollywood. Thanks to starring roles in over 20 films and TV shows, she has amassed an impressive $12 million net worth by 2023.
While just starting out, James proved her talent on Downton Abbey before breaking through in Hollywood with Cinderella. Now she commands at least $1 million per major motion picture she headlines. Outside of acting, she earns income from modeling gigs, brand endorsements, and fashion collaborations.
Compared to more veteran actresses, Lily James’ $12 million fortune is modest. But at just 32, she has plenty of time to catch up to the likes of Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone. James possesses the acting chops and box office draw to earn $5-10 million for future roles.
Don’t be surprised if Lily James’ net worth continues to grow steadily over the next decade. She has cemented herself as one of the brightest young talents in the industry. With roles in high-profile upcoming projects like the Pamela Anderson biopic, James’ wealth should soon reflect her elite status as a leading lady.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lily James’ Net Worth
How did Lily James become famous?
Lily James first gained wide recognition for playing Lady Rose MacClare on the period drama TV series Downton Abbey from 2012-2015. Her breakout role was playing the title character in Disney’s 2015 live-action adaptation of Cinderella.
What was Lily James’ first major acting role?
James’ first major role was starring as rebellious aristocrat Lady Rose on Downton Abbey starting in 2012. This introduced her to worldwide audiences and catapulted her career.
What is Lily James’ most popular movie?
James’ most popular film at the box office is likely Cinderella, which grossed over $542 million worldwide in 2015. She also starred in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, which took in $395 million globally.
How much does Lily James make per movie?
In her early career, James earned around $100-500k per movie. Now she can demand $1-3 million per major studio film she headlines. For Cinderella, she was paid $3 million.
What TV shows and movies is Lily James best known for?
Some Lily James projects that made her a star include: Cinderella, Baby Driver, Yesterday, Downton Abbey, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, and Rebecca. She will play Pamela Anderson in an upcoming Hulu miniseries.
Has Lily James won any major awards?
James has been nominated for two Golden Globe awards for her roles in Cinderella and War & Peace. She has won several minor awards like Teen Choice and People’s Choice awards. She has yet to win an Oscar, Emmy or SAG award.
What charities or causes does Lily James support?
Lily James has supported various wildlife conservation charities like the Wildlife Trusts. She also participates in fundraising campaigns for causes like breast cancer research and the Afghanistan Relief Organization.
What is the most expensive thing Lily James has bought?
James likely spends most lavishly on real estate. Her estimated $4 million London townhouse and $3 million Los Angeles bungalow are likely two of her most expensive purchases, in addition to her fine jewelry collection.
How does Lily James stay in shape?
James maintains her fit physique by working with personal trainers, doing pilates and yoga, and dancing. She also eats healthy and abstains from hard partying. Her active acting roles keep her slim and toned.
Is Lily James married?
No, as of 2023, Lily James is not married. She previously dated actors Matt Smith and Chris Evans. James keeps her romantic life very private. In interviews she says she hopes to marry and have a family someday.