Keira Knightley is an English actress who has built an impressive career in Hollywood over the past two decades. She is best known for her roles in blockbuster films like the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Pride & Prejudice, and The Imitation Game.
With her acting skills, striking looks and wide-ranging filmography, Knightley has become one of the highest-paid and most bankable actresses in the industry. Her net worth reflects her success and longevity as a leading lady.
Keira Knightley’s Background and Career Beginnings
Keira Knightley was born in London, England in 1985. She began acting as a child and landed her first professional role at age 9 in the film Innocent Lies. Her breakthrough came in 2002 when she was cast as Elizabeth Swann in the global phenomenon Pirates of the Caribbean alongside Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. The role propelled her to international fame.
Over the next few years, Knightley starred in several more blockbuster hits including Love Actually (2003), King Arthur (2004), and the sequels Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007). She also began taking on more dramatic roles in critically acclaimed films like Pride & Prejudice (2005), Atonement (2007), The Duchess (2008) and Anna Karenina (2012). These films demonstrated her versatility and acting chops beyond the big budget action films.
How Much is Keira Knightley Worth?
According to multiple sources, Keira Knightley’s current net worth is estimated to be around $60 million. This puts her among the highest paid actresses in Hollywood. The majority of her wealth comes from her salaries for acting in blockbuster films over the past two decades. Some of her biggest paydays have come from:
- Pirates of the Caribbean films: Knightley earned between $2-3 million for each of the three Pirates films she starred in. These films grossed over $2.5 billion worldwide.
- Pride & Prejudice: Knightley is said to have earned a salary of $1.5 million for the 2005 Jane Austen adaptation. It grossed over $120 million globally.
- The Imitation Game: For the 2014 Oscar-nominated drama, Knightley earned $1.5 million. It grossed over $233 million.
- Endorsements: As with most A-list celebrities, Knightley earns millions from endorsement deals with luxury brands like Chanel, Dom Pérignon, and Asprey.
- Upfront salaries: For many films, Knightley is able to negotiate high upfront salaries due to her star power. For example, she earned $5 million for Never Let Me Go and $1 million for Last Night.
Knightley also earns income from smaller films and independent projects. While the salaries are lower, these films help build her reputation as a serious dramatic actress. Overall, her shrewd business sense and film choices have allowed her to build an impressive net worth as one of the top actresses of her generation.
Keira Knightley Net Worth Milestones
Here are some of the key milestones in Keira Knightley’s rising net worth over the years:
- Early 2000s: Knightley was still an up-and-coming actress, with estimated earnings in the low thousands per film. Her breakout role in Bend It Like Beckham (2002) earned her about $3,000.
- 2003: With Pirates of the Caribbean, Knightley’s fame skyrocketed. She likely earned around $1 million for the first film.
- 2005: Pride & Prejudice proved Knightley was a bankable leading lady. She earned $1.5 million and her net worth passed $10 million.
- 2006: Continued Pirates success put Knightley’s net worth around $15 million.
- 2010: After starring in multiple more blockbusters, Knightley’s wealth crossed $30 million.
- 2015: Strong earnings from Begin Again, Jack Ryan and The Imitation Game pushed Knightley’s net worth over $50 million.
- Today: With consistent film work and endorsements, Keira Knightley’s current net worth stands at approximately $60 million.
Still only in her late 30s, Knightley has many more years to build her wealth through strategic career choices. She likely has the potential to join the ranks of actresses worth over $100 million in the future.
What Makes Keira Knightley So Successful?
Keira Knightley has been able to command such high salaries and build significant wealth thanks to her:
- Star power – Knightley is a bonafide A-list star who headlines major blockbusters. Her name attached sells tickets.
- Critical acclaim – She balances commercial films with acclaimed indie projects that showcase her prestige as an actress.
- Social media following – On Instagram alone she has over 2 million followers. This expands her fan base.
- Likeable public persona – Knightley has built a reputation as an elegant, stylish and intelligent actress.
- Youth appeal – As a beautiful actress with youth on her side, Knightley appeals to key demographics.
- Business savvy – She negotiates shrewd deals and knows her worth. Knightley also invests wisely to grow her fortune.
Her unique combination of mainstream popularity, critical respect, global fame and business sense have allowed her to become one of the richest actresses in the industry.
How Does Keira Knightley Spend Her Money?
While Knightley has amassed enviable wealth, she leads a relatively low-key lifestyle focused on philanthropy, family and career development. Some of the ways she spends her multi-million dollar fortune include:
- Real estate – She owns luxury homes in London and Los Angeles worth over $20 million combined.
- Film production company – Knightley co-founded a production company called Darling Buds in 2012.
- Charity work – She supports causes like Amnesty International, WaterAid and Oxfam through fundraising and donations.
- Political donations – She advocates for environmental causes and donated about $130,000 to the Green Party of England and Wales.
- Fashion and beauty – Knightley is a spokesperson for Chanel and invests in fashionable wardrobes for events.
- Lifestyle costs – With a family including two children, she spends on needs like childcare and education.
- Investments – Intelligent investing and avoiding overspending have allowed her net worth to keep growing.
Overall, while able to afford any luxury, Knightley seems to live reasonably compared to her income level. Her focus remains on career, family, philanthropy and financial security.
Keira Knightley Net Worth Compared To Other Actresses
Here is how Keira Knightley’s $60 million net worth stacks up against some other top Hollywood actresses:
- Scarlett Johansson – $165 million
- Jennifer Lawrence – $160 million
- Julia Roberts – $250 million
- Jennifer Aniston – $300 million
- Meryl Streep – $160 million
- Emma Stone – $30 million
- Charlize Theron – $160 million
- Sandra Bullock – $250 million
Among her generation, Knightley’s net worth is on par with or ahead of stars like Johansson, Lawrence, and Stone who also emerged in the 2000s as leading ladies. However, she lags behind more veteran A-list stars like Roberts, Aniston, Streep and Bullock who have even longer careers under their belts.
As her career continues, Knightley has potential to keep climbing the ranks of top paid actresses, particularly since many of her most acclaimed performances came in just the last 5-10 years. Her smart financial moves should also help grow her wealth. With the right choices, her $60 million net worth could easily double in the next decade.
In summary, Keira Knightley has amassed an impressive net worth of approximately $60 million through her career as an acclaimed film actress. Her fortune places her amongst the highest paid actresses working in Hollywood today.
Knightley earned multimillion dollar salaries demanding up to $5 million per major studio film thanks to her star power and critical acclaim. While still only in her 30s, she has many more years and blockbuster roles ahead likely to grow her wealth even larger in the future. With savvy investing and strategic career choices, Keira Knightley’s net worth could potentially even reach $100 million or more down the road.
Her combination of mainstream popularity and talent has allowed her to become an internationally bankable star who will continue making millions doing what she loves.
Frequently Asked Questions About Keira Knightley’s Net Worth
Keira Knightley’s multi-million dollar fortune and status as one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood often make people curious to learn more details about her wealth. Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about her net worth:
How much does Keira Knightley make per movie?
For big budget, major studio films Knightley can demand paychecks up to $5 million upfront. For smaller indie films her rate is closer to $1-2 million. Her highest paydays came from the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels where she earned between $2-3 million each.
What was Keira Knightley’s salary for Pirates of the Caribbean?
Reports estimate Knightley earned between $1-3 million for each Pirates of the Caribbean film she starred in. As her fame grew, so did her salary, going from around $1 million for the first to closer to $3 million for the sequels.
How much did Keira Knightley make for Pride and Prejudice?
Playing the iconic Elizabeth Bennet in 2005’s Pride and Prejudice earned Keira Knightley one of her biggest paydays to date – around $1.5 million. The period drama earned over $120 million worldwide.
Who is the richest actress of all time?
The richest actress of all time is estimated to be Indian actress and entrepreneur Jami Gertz, with a net worth of $3 billion. Among contemporary stars, Oprah Winfrey tops the list with $2.5 billion.
Is Keira Knightley a billionaire?
No, Keira Knightley is not a billionaire. Her net worth is estimated at around $60 million as of 2023. While very wealthy, her fortune does not yet reach billionaire status like the wealthiest businessmen and media moguls in the world.
Is Keira Knightley richer than Benedict Cumberbatch?
Yes, Keira Knightley’s estimated $60 million net worth is higher than British actor Benedict Cumberbatch’s reported $40 million net worth. Knightley’s long career as a leading lady earning multimillion dollar salaries gives her an edge over Cumberbatch when it comes to total wealth.
How does Keira Knightley’s net worth compare to other young actresses?
Compared to other actresses who broke through in the 2000s and 2010s, Knightley fares well. Her $60 million ranks her ahead of Emma Stone ($30 million), Margot Robbie ($25 million), and slightly behind Scarlett Johansson ($165 million). Other contemporaries like Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Watson are on par with net worths around $100 million.
What was Keira Knightley’s net worth at the peak of her Pirates fame?
Around the mid-2000s when the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels were smash hits, Keira Knightley’s net worth reportedly peaked around $30 million. The Pirates movies catapulted the then 20-something actress to global stardom and big paychecks that allowed her to build her wealth.
How does Keira Knightley spend her millions?
The bulk of Knightley’s multi-million dollar fortune goes towards real estate, investing, charity donations, political causes and her film production company. She also spends on lifestyle costs for her family and fashion/beauty. But overall her spending seems reasonable for her income level.