Rihanna is one of the most popular and successful musicians in the world. Since bursting onto the music scene in 2005 with her smash hit “Pon de Replay”, Rihanna has gone on to sell over 250 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling artists of all time.
In addition to her music career, Rihanna has also established herself as a global fashion icon and successful businesswoman with multiple entrepreneurial ventures. This has significantly contributed to her massive net worth.
So what exactly is Rihanna’s net worth? Let’s take a closer look at how she built her multi-million dollar empire.
How Did Rihanna Build Her Net Worth?
Rihanna has amassed an incredible net worth of $1.7 billion, making her one of the wealthiest female musicians in the world. Here are the main sources of her wealth:
Music Sales & Tours
- Sold over 250 million records worldwide
- Charted 14 #1 Billboard singles
- Toured consistently since 2005 with highly profitable tours like the Diamonds World Tour (2013) which grossed over $140 million
Rihanna’s record sales and tours have contributed significantly to her net worth over the years. She has remained a mainstay on the charts and continues to drop hit after hit.
Business Ventures & Endorsements
- Owns 30% stake in Savage X Fenty lingerie line valued at $1 billion
- Reported $70 million per year from Puma endorsement deal
- Launched successful makeup line Fenty Beauty with LVMH
- Previously had endorsements with CoverGirl, Kodak, Nivea & Secret deodorant
Rihanna’s various business ventures including Savage X Fenty, Fenty Beauty, and lucrative endorsement deals with major brands have added hundreds of millions to her net worth.
Real Estate Investments
- Purchased 7 bedroom mansion in LA for $13.8 million
- Also owns property in her native Barbados
- Reportedly rents out London property for over $20,000/week
The singer also invests heavily in real estate including her LA mansion and other properties. Her real estate holdings contribute assets to her net worth.
Venture Capital Investments
- Has invested in multiple startups and VC funds over the years
- Put $2.5 million into scooter startup Spin in 2018
- Also invested in nursing startups Honor and Perfect Day
Rihanna doesn’t just spend her money – she uses it to invest in promising startups and funds. Her venture capital investments diversify her portfolio.
Rihanna’s Net Worth Milestones
Here’s a quick look at how Rihanna’s net worth has grown over the years:
- 2007 – $14 million
- 2009 – $25 million
- 2011 – $60 million
- 2014 – $140 million
- 2018 – $600 million
- 2022 – $1.7 billion
She first appeared on Forbes’ list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women in 2014 with a net worth of $140 million. In just 8 years since then, she has grown her net worth over 10x to the multi-billion dollar figure it is today.
Rihanna’s consistent musical success,combined with her business acumen and lucrative endorsements, have accelerated her net worth rapidly in recent years. She is now recognized as a billionaire and major player in the entertainment and business worlds.
What are Rihanna’s Main Sources of Income?
As we saw earlier, Rihanna derives her $1.7 billion net worth from various sources. Here are the key income streams that contribute significantly to her bottomline each year:
Music Sales, Streaming & Tours
- Between 2005-2019, Rihanna sold over 250 million singles and albums worldwide
- She earns royalties from continued sales of her catalog of music
- In 2016, she signed a $25 million deal with Roc Nation for touring & merch sales
- Her music also generates revenue from streaming services like Spotify
Though she hasn’t released a new album since 2016, Rihanna continues to earn millions each year from her music catalog through sales, licensing, streaming royalties and touring revenue.
Savage X Fenty Lingerie Line
- Rihanna owns 30% equity stake in Savage X Fenty, which is valued at over $1 billion
- The lingerie startup had over $150 million in revenue in 2020
- She takes a share of the company profits as an owner
Rihanna’s intake of Savage X Fenty profits is likely her biggest source of annual income currently. The lingerie line has proven hugely successful and continues to grow.
Fenty Beauty Cosmetics Line
- Rihanna partnered with LVMH in 2017 to launch Fenty Beauty
- The cosmetics line earned $550 million in revenue in its first year
- Forbes estimated she pocketed $570 million herself from the deal
Though LVMH owns 50% of Fenty Beauty, Rihanna still earns millions in royalties from the brand’s annual profits.
- Reportedly earned $70 million from Puma deal in 2016
- Previously endorsed brands like CoverGirl, Kodak & Nivea
Rihanna no longer has major endorsement deals, but she earned tens of millions partnering with brands like Puma at the peak of her fame.
How Does Rihanna Spend Her Money?
With an estimated $1.7 billion net worth, Rihanna has plenty of cash to spend however she chooses. Here are some of the ways she spends her fortune:
- Real estate – Owned a $22 million penthouse in LA and recently bought a $13.8 million 7 bedroom mansion in Beverly Hills. Also owns property in her native country Barbados.
- Private jet – Bought a $33,000 per flight Gulfstream G650 jet for herDiamonds World Tour in 2013. Also uses private jets regularly for personal and business trips.
- Philanthropy – Created the Clara Lionel Foundation in 2012 to provide scholarships, health care, education, housing to impoverished communities globally. Donated $2 million to BLM.
- Luxury cars – Her car collection has included a Lamborghini Aventador, Mercedes SLR McLaren Stirling Moss, Porsche 911 Turbo S.
- Fashion – Rihanna spends big on fashion, owning Birkins and other designer bags, luxury clothing, and expensive jewelry. She has worked with Dior, Chopard, and Chanel over the years.
- Lavish parties – Known to spare no expense when it comes to throwing elaborate parties. Reportedly spent over $800,000 on an over-the-top birthday bash for herself in 2017.
- Friends & Family – Known to take good care of friends and family members financially. Set up her parents in a $1.7 million mansion in Barbados.
Rihanna Net Worth Compared To Other Artists
To fully grasp how much Rihanna is worth, it helps to compare her net worth to other top musicians:
As this table illustrates, Rihanna surpasses nearly every other female entertainer in terms of current net worth. Only the legendary Madonna comes close.
Rihanna’s combination of consistent musical success and savvy business skills have enabled her to build a massive fortune of over $1.7 billion.
What Businesses Does Rihanna Own?
Aside from her music, some of Rihanna’s biggest assets are the successful companies she owns and invests in:
Savage X Fenty
- Lingerie brand launched in 2018
- Raised $115 million in funding at $1 billion valuation in 2021
- Rihanna owns 30% equity stake currently worth over $300 million
Savage X Fenty has been Rihanna’s biggest business success story so far. The lingerie line has earned over $150 million annually and become a major player in the industry.
- Cosmetics brand created in partnership with LVMH in 2017
- Earned estimated $550 million in revenue in first year
- Rihanna owns 50% of the company
Fenty Beauty instantly disrupted the cosmetics industry upon launch. It showcased inclusivity and quickly achieved massive sales.
- Rihanna launched a Fenty branded skincare line in 2020
- Fenty Skin earned $30 million in first 4 months
- Seen as a sister brand expansion to Fenty Beauty
Though still new, Fenty Skin is forecasted to be another revenue generator for Rihanna.
Fenty Fashion House
- High end fashion house launched under LVMH in 2019
- Rihanna is first woman of color to create brand for LVMH
- Line paused during pandemic but relaunch plans in future
Rihanna aims to leverage the Fenty name into a full-fledged luxury fashion line once pandemic conditions improve.
What Awards Has Rihanna Won?
On top of her business successes, Rihanna has also collected a roomful of awards over her illustrious music career:
- 9 Grammy Awards
- 13 American Music Awards
- 12 Billboard Music Awards
- 9 MTV Video Music Awards
- 7 Guinness World Records
- 2008 Bambi Awards Pop Artist of the Year
- 2 BRIT Awards
- 2016 Fashion Icon Award from CFDA
She has won almost every major music award available, including multiple honors for her fashion influence and cultural impact.
Is Rihanna a Billionaire?
Based on her current estimated net worth of $1.7 billion – Yes, Rihanna is officially a billionaire!
In August 2021, Forbes declared Rihanna a billionaire for the first time. This made her the wealthiest female musician in the world.
While the bulk of her fortune still comes from her music career, most of her billionaire status can be credited to earnings from her various business ventures. The launch and success of Savage X Fenty and Fenty Beauty in particular have made her ultra-wealthy.
Rihanna is the first woman to create an original brand under LVMH, the first woman of color to head a major luxury fashion house, and the youngest self-made female billionaire in America. Through hard work and smart investments, she has transitioned into a music mogul and global business icon.
Rihanna’s incredible rise into the billion dollar club is an inspiration. She got her start as a teen music newcomer from Barbados and is now the wealthiest female musician alive.
While her music remains iconic, Rihanna’s savvy investments and calculated risks in the business world are what rocketed her net worth to such astronomical heights. She has built a multifaceted empire by leveraging her creativity, influence and impeccable brand.
Moving forward, we can expect even more entrepreneurial ventures from Rihanna that will likely add to her $1.7 billion fortune. No matter what new projects she takes on in music, fashion, beauty or business – Rihanna has proven she has the Midas touch. Her empire will undoubtedly continue to grow and expand for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rihanna’s Net Worth
Rihanna’s astronomical net worth often raises a lot of questions. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
How does Rihanna make her money now?
While she earned the bulk of her fortune from music sales and touring earlier in her career, most of Rihanna’s income now comes from her business ventures like Savage X Fenty and Fenty Beauty. She takes home profits as a part owner in these successful brands.
What was Rihanna’s net worth before Fenty Beauty?
In 2016, before launching Fenty Beauty, Rihanna had a net worth of around $230 million according to Forbes. The runaway success of Fenty Beauty the next year rocketed her net worth up significantly.
Does Rihanna own Fenty?
Rihanna owns 50% equity stake in Fenty Beauty in partnership with LVMH. She owns 30% of her Savage X Fenty lingerie line. So while she doesn’t outright own either brand, she owns large shares in both companies.
How did Rihanna get so rich?
Rihanna built her fortune over time through her music sales, tours, business ventures and endorsements. But Savage X Fenty and Fenty Beauty hugely accelerated her net worth in recent years to billionaire status.
What businesses did Rihanna invest in?
Rihanna has invested in various startups and VC funds over the years. Some of her investments include Spin scooter company, nursing startups Honor and Perfect Day, and CLF which includes Savage X Fenty and Fenty Beauty.