Aurelien Tchouameni is a French professional footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder for La Liga club Real Madrid and the France national team.
He is considered one of the brightest young talents in world football due to his technical ability, passing range, athleticism and intelligence on the pitch. At just 22 years of age, Tchouameni has already established himself as a regular starter at club and international level.
Early Life and Background
- Born on January 27, 2000 in Rouen, France (Age: 22 years)
- Full name: Aurelien Djani Tchouameni
- Parents: Fernand Tchouameni (father) and Corine Tchouameni (mother)
- Has a younger brother named Allan
- Grew up supporting Marseille as a child
Tchouameni was born in Rouen, but grew up in the city of Bordeaux where he began playing football from a young age. He started his development at local amateur clubs before getting recruited into the youth academy of Ligue 1 club Bordeaux at age 11.
Career Breakthrough at Bordeaux
- Made senior debut for Bordeaux on February 3, 2018 at age 18
- Initially played as a right back before establishing himself as a defensive midfielder
- Became integral part of Bordeaux’s first team during 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons
- Made over 80 appearances for Bordeaux’s senior team from 2018 to 2022
- Earned call-up to France U21s in 2019 and senior national team in 2020
Tchouameni earned his breakthrough at Bordeaux under manager Paulo Sousa, who gave him opportunities in the first team as a teenager. He played mostly as a right back before eventually moving into midfield where he excelled with his technical quality and physical prowess.
His rapid development soon caught the attention of bigger European clubs while also earning a spot in the France national team setup.
€80 Million Transfer to Real Madrid in 2022
- Joined Spanish giants Real Madrid on a five-year deal in June 2022
- Madrid paid transfer fee worth €80 million ($85 million) plus add-ons to sign him
- Became one of the most expensive defensive midfielders in history
- Handed the prestigious No. 18 shirt previously worn by club legends like Jose Antonio Camacho
- Won 2022 UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup in debut season
In mid-2022, Tchouameni earned a dream move to Champions League holders Real Madrid, who activated his release clause to sign him on a long-term deal. His transfer fee made him one of the top 10 most expensive midfielders of all time.
Playing Style and Strengths as a Midfielder
- Primarily a defensive midfielder but also capable playing box-to box
- Excellent at breaking up play and winning back possession
- Strong tackler with great anticipation and positioning
- Dominant in aerial duels despite average height (1.83m)
- Superb passing range and dribbling ability for a no.6 midfielder
- Often praised for leadership skills and work ethic
Tchouameni is characterized as a tall, physical presence in midfield with an expansive skill set. He thrives at breaking down opposition attacks but also has the technical finesse to initiate passing moves after winning back the ball.
His supreme confidence, concentration and attitude has also earned him respect from teammates and coaches alike.
Aurelien Tchouameni Net Worth and Salary
According to multiple reports, Aurelien Tchouameni’s current net worth is estimated to be around $15 million as of 2023. The vast majority of his net worth has been accumulated in the last two years through his massive salary and bonuses at Real Madrid.
- Current annual salary at Real Madrid estimated around £120,000 per week or $7 million per year
- Signed 5-year deal with Madrid until 2027, worth over $35 million in total
- Base wages significantly lower but majority of pay through performance bonuses
- Estimated to earn an additional £5 million a year from endorsements
As one of the highest paid young talents in world football currently, Tchouameni takes home a handsome salary from Real Madrid in basic wages and performance-related bonuses annually.
His marketability off the pitch also sees him earn millions from personal sponsorship deals with brands like Nike, FIFPro and trading card companies Panini and Topps.
Aurelien Tchouameni Age and Early Life
- Current Age: 22 years
- Date of Birth: January 27, 2000
- Birthplace: Rouen, France
- Full Name: Aurelien Djani Tchouameni
- Parents: Fernand & Corinne Tchouameni
- Siblings: Younger brother Allan
- Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Aurelien Tchouameni was born on 27 January 2000 in the city of Rouen located in northern France. He was born to parents Fernand and Corine Tchouameni and grew up alongside his younger brother Allan.
By age 11, Tchouameni was training in youth academies while living in Bordeaux. He balanced his childhood passion for football along with his education over the next few years before making his professional breakthrough as a teenager.
Early Life and Introduction to Football
Despite being born in Rouen, Aurelien Tchouameni grew up in the southwest city of Bordeaux after his family relocated there during his childhood. He picked up the game by playing football in the streets from a very early age.
Tchouameni then joined his first youth club called Les Espoirs de Gironde at age 5. He has mentioned his earliest football memories were playing as a striker and scoring many goals as a young kid. But a teenage growth spurt would eventually see him convert into a midfielder.
By 11 years of age, Aurelien had impressed enough to earn a youth contract at Ligue 1 side Bordeaux’s academy. This allowed the talented youngster to develop further while still having normal schooling.
Aurelien Tchouameni’s Career Highlights and Achievements
Despite being just 22 years old, Aurelien Tchouameni has already built an impressive list of honors and records in his short senior career so far at both club and international level.
Club Career Highlights
- UEFA Champions League: 1 time Winner (2022) with Real Madrid
- FIFA Club World Cup: 1 time Winner (2022) with Real Madrid
- UEFA Super Cup: 1 time Winner (2022) with Real Madrid
- Named in Ligue 1 Team of the Season (2020–21) with AS Monaco
- UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Season (2020–21)
International Career Highlights
- UEFA Nations League Finals (2021) Runners-up with France senior team
- French senior national team debut in 2020 at age 20
- 12 senior caps for France as of Jan 2023
- Key player in France’s 2022 FIFA World Cup squad
In summary, Tchouameni has achieved:
- 1 Champions League title
- Domestic cup titles
- Individual awards in Ligue 1
- Established as starter for current World Cup holders France
All by the age of just 22, highlighting his massive potential and early impact in top level football.
Personal Awards and Recognition
Besides team honors, Aurelien Tchouameni’s individual brilliance has also received several nominations and awards:
- Included in 2021 Golden Boy Award final 20-man shortlist
- Voted 36th in 2022 Ballon d’Or rankings
- Named 2021 Revelation of the Year by France Football magazine
- Featured in UEFA’s ’50 for the Future’ 2021 list of best U21 talents
- 2022 Kopa Trophy nominee for best U21 player
These personal recognitions indicate the prodigious talent that Tchouameni possesses despite only being in the infancy of his professional career.
Aurelien Tchouameni’s Family and Personal Relationships
Aurelien Tchouameni was born in January 2000 to parents Fernand Tchouameni originally from Cameroon and French mother Corinne. He has a younger teenage brother named Allan.
Tchouameni is currently believed to be single and maintains a private personal life off the pitch as he remains completely focused on his football career.
Parents and Upbringing
Both of Aurelien’s parents were working normal everyday jobs when he was a child. His father Fernand moved from Cameroon to France where Aurelien was eventually born in the northern city of Rouen.
The family later relocated south to Bordeaux as Aurelien was growing up. He has described his parents as hard-working and supportive of his football dreams from a very young age.
In several interviews, Tchouameni reiterates the sacrifices his parents made in raising him and his younger brother Allan while balancing jobs and the kids’ football expenses.