Amy Poehler is an American actress, comedian, writer, producer, and director who has a net worth of $25 million dollars. She is best known for her work on Saturday Night Live, Parks and Recreation, Mean Girls, and Baby Mama.
Poehler has had a successful career in comedy spanning over 20 years. She first gained recognition in the improv comedy troupe Upright Citizens Brigade which eventually led to her joining the cast of Saturday Night Live in 2001. Her time on SNL established her as one of the show’s most popular performers and she became well known for co-anchoring the Weekend Update segment.
After leaving SNL in 2008, Poehler went on to create and star in the acclaimed sitcom Parks and Recreation as Leslie Knope from 2009 to 2015. She has also starred in films like Mean Girls, Baby Mama, Sisters, Wine Country, and voiced characters in animated films like Free Birds, Inside Out, The Secret Life of Pets, and Pixar’s Luca.
In addition to acting, Poehler co-founded the Upright Citizens Brigade improv comedy troupe which has schools and theaters in several major cities. She also co-created the animated series Duncanville which premiered in 2020.
Poehler’s witty brand of comedy and versatile performances across TV and film have made her one of the most recognizable names in the entertainment industry. Her net worth reflects her success as an actress, writer, producer and overall comedic talent.
How Did Amy Poehler Build Her Net Worth?
Amy Poehler’s net worth of $25 million comes from various sources, including:
- Earnings from Saturday Night Live (2001 – 2008) – Poehler was a cast member on SNL for 7 seasons, during which she became one of the show’s biggest stars. The long tenure likely earned her millions in salary.
- Income from Parks and Recreation (2009 – 2015) – Playing lead character Leslie Knope on this acclaimed sitcom for 7 seasons brought in a sizable income for Poehler.
- Film salaries – She earned salaries for roles in hit movies like Mean Girls, Baby Mama, Sisters, Wine Country and more. Her fees likely ranged from a few million per film earlier on up to $10 million+ in recent years.
- Production and writing fees – Poehler has earned income for producing shows like Broad City and Russian Doll, as well as writing projects like the film Wine Country.
- Brand endorsements and sponsorships – Poehler has done endorsement deals with brands like Old Navy and Butterfinger over the years.
- Upright Citizens Brigade – Poehler continues to earn profits from the UCB improv theaters and schools she co-founded in NYC and LA.
- Investments and business ventures – Poehler likely has invested some of her earnings over the years into smart stock market and real estate investments to build her wealth.
By pursuing a successful comedy career across TV, film and improv, as well as smart investments and business ventures, Amy Poehler has built an impressive net worth of $25 million. While she lives a comfortable lifestyle, she is not among the ultra-rich A-list movie stars.
What are Amy Poehler’s Biggest Acting Projects?
Here are some of Amy Poehler’s biggest acting projects that have contributed significantly to her net worth:
Saturday Night Live
- Poehler joined the cast of SNL in 2001 and became one of the show’s most popular performers during her 7 season run through 2008. Her memorable characters included Kaitlin, Amber, Dakota Fanning, and Hillary Clinton.
- She earned her first Emmy nomination in 2003 for her work on SNL. By the end of her time on the show, she was considered one of the all-time great SNL cast members.
- The long tenure and fame she gained on SNL laid the foundation for the later success in her career.
Parks and Recreation
- Playing eager bureaucrat Leslie Knope on this acclaimed sitcom from 2009 to 2015 was Poehler’s biggest television role and what she’s most known for.
- Parks and Rec aired for 7 seasons and over 125 episodes, proving a huge hit for NBC and earning multiple Emmy nominations.
- Poehler served as a producer and occasionally writer for the show, earning additional income beyond her acting role.
- Poehler co-starred as “cool mom” Mrs. George in this 2004 teen comedy film, written by Tina Fey.
- Mean Girls was a box office smash, grossing $130 million worldwide and gaining status as an iconic comedy movie.
- The hit film boosted Poehler’s profile and popularity significantly in the prime of her early career.
- Poehler voiced the emotion Joy in this hugely successful 2015 Pixar/Disney animated film. The movie grossed $857 million worldwide.
- Poehler earned praise for her voice performance in Inside Out, showing her skills extended to voice acting.
Other Notable Projects
- Baby Mama (2008) – Big comedy film role paired with Tina Fey.
- Free Birds (2013) – Voice role in animated film that grossed over $110 million.
- Broad City (Executive Producer 2014-2019) – Acclaimed Comedy Central series.
- Russian Doll (Executive Producer 2019- ) – Hit Netflix show.
- Luca (2021) – Voice role in latest family film from Pixar.
What Businesses and Investments Does Amy Poehler Have?
In addition to her acting career, Amy Poehler brings in income from businesses she co-founded and smart investments that build her wealth:
Upright Citizens Brigade
- Poehler co-founded the Upright Citizens Brigade improv comedy troupe in 1990 with friends from her Chicago improv days, including Matt Besser and Ian Roberts.
- They opened their first theater and training center in New York City in 1996 and followed with the flagship LA theater in 2005.
- UCB has expanded to Chicago and Austin, with thousands of students signing up for classes every year. The theaters also host hundreds of the best improv and sketch shows.
- Even with the pandemic closure, UCB likely brings in solid revenue for Poehler and consistently grows her net worth.
Production Company Paper Kite Productions
- Poehler and friend Brooke Posch founded this TV and film production company in 2009.
- Paper Kite has produced shows like Broad City, Difficult People, Russian Doll, and Duncanville, along with Wine Country and other films.
- Owning this successful production company ensures Poehler income beyond just acting work.
- While low profile about it, Poehler likely invests some of her millions into diversified stocks, bonds, real estate, and businesses to grow her wealth.
- Smart investments in companies and real estate can bring annual returns of 8-15% or more to steadily build a high net worth over time.
- Conservative investing of just $5 million over 20 years could grow to $15-20 million for Poehler.
What Houses Does Amy Poehler Own?
Despite her high net worth, Amy Poehler lives a relatively low-key lifestyle in terms of real estate. Here are some of the home’s she’s owned:
- In 2011, she and ex-husband Will Arnett purchased a $6.5 million mansion in Beverly Hills. The 7-bedroom home spanned over 8,000 square feet. They sold it for around $7 million after divorcing in 2016.
- After the divorce, Poehler bought a more modest $4.3 million home in Beverly Hills. The 4-bedroom house is a ranch-style property on about half an acre of land.
- She owns an apartment in Manhattan’s Upper West Side that she uses when staying in New York City for work.
- Poehler briefly owned a larger family home in Pasadena for $3.6 million but sold it after less than a year for a small loss.
- She previously owned another smaller home in Los Angeles which she purchased in 2003 for $1.7 million and eventually sold for around $2 million.
Despite clearly having the means for ultra-luxury real estate, Poehler seems to keep her property portfolio relatively simple and family-focused. She seems to avoid buying super extravagant mansions.
What Cars Does Amy Poehler Drive?
Based on sightings and reports, Amy Poehler’s car collection is relatively modest and practical compared to other multi-millionaire celebrities:
- Soon after her divorce, she was spotted driving a Tesla Model S around Los Angeles, likely a lease. The Model S retails for $95,000 and up.
- Poehler has been seen driving around LA in a Toyota Prius. For an eco-friendly celebrity, the modest Prius seems fitting for her.
- She once owned a Lexus RX Hybrid SUV. A used previous model Lexus RX retails for around $20,000 currently.
- When married to Will Arnett, she drove his collection of luxury vehicles like a black Porsche 911 Carrera and Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan.
- During her time on SNL in NYC, Poehler was often spotted commuting in Toyota Camrys arranged by the show.
- For events and award shows, Poehler likely rents nicer luxury SUVs like a Cadillac Escalade or Lexus LX.
While she can clearly afford any luxury or supercar, Poehler seems to prefer practical and eco-friendly family vehicles for her daily driver. She doesn’t feel the need for expensive flashy cars to show off her wealth. Her cars match her overall relatable personality and lifestyle.
How Much Does Amy Poehler Make Per Year?
According to reports, Amy Poehler earned around $6 million total between June 2019 and June 2020. This gives a rough idea of what she likely earns per year currently:
- $3 million per year from her producing and acting fees for shows like Russian Doll and Duncanville.
- $1-2 million per year in residual payments from Parks and Recreation and other previous projects. Actors continue earning residuals on reruns, syndication and streaming.
- Around $500,000 per year from ongoing profits and royalties from UCB theater business.
- $1 million or more annually from endorsements and commercials.
- Some income from any films roles or voice acting jobs each year.
- Additional investment income, although her portfolio percentage returns could vary year to year.
Based on these revenue streams, a reasonable estimate is that Poehler earns around $5-10 million per year on average currently. While extremely high earnings compared to typical Americans, she makes less than A-list movie stars earning $20+ million per year. Her income can fluctuate yearly depending on how many projects she takes on.
What Awards Has Amy Poehler Won?
Some of the major awards and nominations Amy Poehler has received over her career include:
- 18 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, 1 win for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for Saturday Night Live in 2016.
- 5 Golden Globe nominations including Best Actress in a Comedy Series for Parks and Recreation.
- 1 Gracie Award for Outstanding Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy in 2012 for Parks and Recreation.
- Star with partner Tina Fey on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2021.
- 16 Screen Actors Guild Award nominations.
- American Comedy Award for Comedy Supporting Actress for Baby Mama in 2009.
- Voted on numerous lists for greatest SNL cast members and characters. Leslie Knope also voted one of the greatest TV characters by multiple publications.
While yet to win an acting Oscar or Emmy, Poehler has received plenty of prestigious award recognition for her comedic skills and performances over her prolific career so far.
How Much Does Amy Poehler Make for Speaking Engagements?
When not acting, Amy Poehler earns big money from speaking events, with typical fees of:
- $50,000 to $100,000 for university speaking engagements. She has given commencement speeches at Harvard, MIT, and other schools.
- $100,000 – $250,000 for corporate events and conferences. She speaks about leadership, branding, empowerment, and more.
- $500,000 or more for major keynote addresses at large conferences and events.
Poehler also does some charity and non-profit events for free or reduced fees. But for commercial clients, she can charge well into six figures for an hour long speech. Her fame and popularity allow her to command top dollar on the speaking circuit.
What Charities and Causes Does Amy Poehler Support?
Poehler generously gives both her money and time to support these notable charities and causes:
- Worldwide Orphans Foundation – Serving orphaned children, Poehler has travelled with this group to Haiti and Kosovo.
- American Cancer Society – Her father passed away from cancer when she was young.
- Natural Resources Defense Council – Environmental organization fighting for nature protections.
- RAICES – Provides legal services for immigrants and refugees.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America – Provides after school programs for kids focused on leadership and empowerment.
- lighter. – Organization providing access to quality mental health care globally.
Amy Poehler has a big heart, and she purposefully uses her powerful celebrity platform and wealth to support humanitarian, environmental, and mental health causes around the world.
How Does Amy Poehler Spend Her Money?
While wealthy, Amy Poehler maintains a relatively frugal lifestyle compared to others in her income bracket. Some of the ways she likely spends her millions:
- Real estate – She invests in property, but not extravagant homes. Her largest home was $6.5 million.
- Child support and costs – She has two sons with her ex-husband that she financially provides for.
- Charity donations – She gives both money and her time regularly to her favorite causes.
- Travel and vacations – She has the resources to travel anywhere in the world. Recent trips include Italy, Iceland and Africa.
- Healthcare – Maintaining excellent care and insurance for her and her family.
- Tuition and education – For her two sons and investments in their future.
- Restaurants – She can eat at top restaurants when wanted, but is often seen at casual eateries.
- Beauty treatments and stylists – To look her best for Hollywood, but in a relatable way.
- Family activities – Provides exciting experiences for her busy family like getaways, shows and events.
- Sports, hobbies, lessons – She has the money to invest in any passions or activities that bring joy.
Amy Poehler spends liberally but doesn’t flaunt ridiculous luxury splurges. She lives comfortably but focused more on family, charity and the craft of comedy vs. showing off wealth.
Does Amy Poehler Have a Prenup With Will Arnett?
When Amy Poehler and Will Arnett split in 2012 after being married for 9 years, many wondered if the famous comedic couple had a prenuptial agreement. According to all reports, Arnett and Poehler did not have a prenup when they wed.
However, both continued earning very well during their marriage, so no spousal support was requested during the divorce. They agreed to joint custody of their two young sons at the time, sharing parenting duties.
The couple appeared to divide up their assets acquired during the marriage evenly. They owned three homes together worth over $10 million total that they split up. There were no public fights over finances or assets during or after the divorce.
Both Poehler and Arnett had plenty of millions coming in during and after the marriage from their successful Hollywood careers. The lack of a prenup didn’t end up causing any issues, and their co-parenting relationship has remained very strong.
How Much Money Does Amy Poehler Have in the Bank?
It’s impossible to know exactly how much money someone like Amy Poehler has liquid in her bank accounts at any given time. However, we can conservatively estimate she likely has $10-20 million in cash ready to use:
- Having at least 1 year of living expenses set aside is standard advice from financial planners. For someone of Poehler’s wealth, that suggests around $5 million cash on hand.
- Major purchases like buying a home can take millions in cash readily available. She bought one home in cash for $4.3 million.
- Producing projects like films often requires millions in upfront cash investment for production costs.
- Stockpiling some cash for emergencies, medical costs, etc. is wise. Another $5 million+ for this purpose.
- Charitable giving, especially during disasters like earthquakes, often requires having millions in cash to deploy instantly.
While Poehler invests much of her wealth, she likely keeps $10-20 million liquid for expenses, purchases, productions, charity, and any unexpected costs that pop up.
How Much Does Amy Poehler Make Per Show and Appearance?
Amy Poehler’s income varies depending on the project, but reported estimates indicate she earns:
- Saturday Night Live – Up to $25,000 per episode during her later seasons.
- Parks & Recreation – Around $80,000 per episode by the end of the series.
- Comedy tours – $150,000 to $500,000 for headlining major shows and festivals.
- Films – $2 million to $10 million per movie depending on the role and her involvement as producer, writer etc.
- TV guest appearances – $50,000 to $100,000 for cameo spots on shows.
- Speaking engagements – $100,000 to $250,000 on average. As high as $500,000 for major keynotes.
- Commercials/endorsements – $500,000 to $2 million depending on extent of the deal and campaign.
Poehler’s fees continue rising as her star power grows. She can command top dollar compared to non-celebrity professionals in similar roles due to her fame and marketing power.
Is Amy Poehler Wealthier Than Other SNL Stars?
Compared to other female comedians who made their name on Saturday Night Live, Amy Poehler stacks up well in terms of current net worth:
- Tina Fey – $75 million net worth – As prominent as Poehler and earns huge money from 30 Rock. But she has focused more on TV vs. movies.
- Kristen Wiig – $25 million net worth – Very comparable to Poehler as they’ve balanced movies, TV and producing.
- Maya Rudolph – $20 million net worth – Slightly behind after more secondary film roles vs. Poehler as a lead.
- Molly Shannon – $10 million net worth – Less prominent roles in recent years and less producing work.
- Rachel Dratch – $5 million net worth – Hasn’t starred in a hit sitcom or major movies like Poehler.
- Cheri Oteri – $1.5 million net worth – No lead roles or hit projects outside SNL.
While not the very wealthiest, Amy Poehler stands firmly among the top tier of SNL female alums terms of net worth due to her varied hits across movies, TV, and producing. Her steady career growth continues to distance her from other SNL grads. She has shown smarts building wealth both on camera and behind the scenes.
Does Amy Poehler Have More Money Than Will Arnett?
Amy Poehler and Will Arnett divorced in 2012 after being married for 9 years. Both have continued successful acting and producing careers.
Current estimates put Amy’s net worth around $25 million, while Will Arnett’s net worth is estimated at $20 million. The numbers indicate Poehler has built slightly greater wealth than her ex-husband:
- While Arnett starred on network sitcoms like Arrested Development, Poehler’s Parks and Recreation role likely earned more.
- Poehler also earns more from film roles compared to Arnett sticking mostly to TV and voice work.
- Amy’s production company Paper Kite is more active than Arnett’s Electric Avenue firm.
- Poehler’s wealth gets a bigger boost from Upright Citizens Brigade vs. lesser side businesses of Arnett.
Both remain very financially well off regardless, easily able to provide a life of luxury for their two sons. But Poehler’s acclaimed work across films, TV and digital content give her the slight edge in personal net worth over Arnett. Their relationship remains strong despite moving on in their careers and finances.
How Does Amy Poehler’s Wealth Compare to Other Comedians?
Among her peers at the top of the comedy world, Amy Poehler’s $25 million net worth places her in respectable standing:
- Jerry Seinfeld – $950 million – The all-time richest comedian by far thanks to Seinfeld royalties.
- Ellen Degeneres – $500 million – Second wealthiest from her long-running talk show.
- Kevin Hart – $200 million – Massive stand-up and film star.
- Steve Harvey – $200 million – Also earned a huge fortune from TV hosting.
- Ryan Reynolds – $150 million – Big movie star with backend profits.
- Tina Fey – $75 million – Slightly ahead of Poehler with more broad film success.
- Ray Romano – $50 million – Sitcom made him super rich.
Amy Poehler has clearly reached the top level of wealth for comedians alongside other legends like Seinfeld, Degeneres and Hart. While not the richest, her $25 million net worth is extremely impressive for someone focused more on TV than becoming a massive movie star. She could certainly keep growing her wealth higher in the future.
In summary, Amy Poehler’s current net worth is estimated to be $25 million. She has earned this impressive fortune primarily through her acclaimed acting across film, TV and improv, as well as producing hits like Parks and Recreation.
Poehler also earns strong income from production company Paper Kite, her ownership in Upright Citizens Brigade, brand endorsements, speaking engagements, and other business ventures. While extremely wealthy, she maintains a relatively frugal lifestyle focused on family, charity and humor rather than lavish spending and splurging.
With her career going strong into her 50s, Amy Poehler’s net worth will likely continue growing higher. She has achieved rare success across a variety of traditional and digital media platforms.
Poehler serves as a role model for converting talent and hard work into generational wealth. But most importantly, she always remembers to follow her own advice: “find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Amy Poehler’s Net Worth
How did Amy Poehler get so rich?
Amy Poehler built her $25 million net worth primarily through being a cast member on Saturday Night Live for many years and starring in the hit sitcom Parks and Recreation. Her roles in popular movies like Mean Girls and Inside Out also contributed significantly to her wealth.
What is Amy Poehler’s salary?
Poehler’s salary varies by project, but recent estimates say she earns around $3 million per year for TV producing and acting roles, $1-2 million in residuals, and another $1+ million from endorsements and commercials. In total she likely averages $5-10 million per year.
Does Amy Poehler own UCB?
Yes, Poehler co-founded the Upright Citizens Brigade improv theater and still co-owns and operates their theaters in NYC, LA, Chicago and Austin. UCB earns Poehler a steady income of around $500k per year.
Is Amy Poehler a billionaire?
No, Amy Poehler is not a billionaire. Her current net worth is estimated to be around $25 million. While very wealthy, she would need to have assets over $1 billion to be considered a billionaire.
Who is richer – Amy Poehler or Tina Fey?
Currently Tina Fey has an estimated net worth of $75 million, while Poehler has $25 million. So while both very successful SNL alums, Fey has built slightly greater wealth than Poehler so far due to higher movie earning power.
How much did Amy Poehler make for Inside Out?
Poehler’s exact salary for voicing Joy in Inside Out is not known. However, top voice actors can command fees ranging from $100,000 to $5 million or more for major animated films. Even a low end $1 million payday for this $850 million hit is likely.
Where does Amy Poehler live?
Poehler has owned homes in Los Angeles, New York, and briefly in Pasadena. She currently seems to primarily reside in a $4.3 million home in Beverly Hills purchased after her divorce.
Does Amy Poehler have kids?
Yes, Poehler has two sons – Archie, born in 2008, and Abel, born in 2010 – with her ex-husband Will Arnett. She devotes much of her time and money to providing a great life and education for her kids.
What does Amy Poehler drive?
Though she can afford any luxury vehicle, Poehler mainly drives practical cars like a Toyota Prius around her LA neighborhood. She has also been seen driving more eco-friendly vehicles like a Tesla Model S.
Is Amy Poehler dating anyone?
Amy Poehler has kept her dating life very private in recent years if she has been seeing anyone. She has not been publicly confirmed to be dating anyone currently.