Glenn Close is an acclaimed American actress known for her versatility and transformative performances in films, television, and theater. With a career spanning over 5 decades, Glenn has received numerous accolades including 3 Tony Awards, 3 Emmy Awards, and 3 Golden Globe Awards. Despite her massive success, Glenn has yet to win an Oscar, making her the actress with the most nominations without a win.
So how much is the legendary actress Glenn Close worth with such an illustrious career? Let’s take a deep dive into Glenn Close’s net worth.
Glenn Close’s Career Highlights
Glenn Close has delivered indelible performances in some of the most iconic films of the last 40 years. Here are some of the highlights of her prolific career:
- Fatal Attraction (1987) – Glenn received an Oscar nomination for her chilling performance as Alex Forrest in this psychological thriller. The film was a massive box office hit grossing over $320 million worldwide.
- Dangerous Liaisons (1988) – Glenn won critical acclaim for her cunning portrayal of the Marquise de Merteuil in this period drama set in 18th century France. She received an Oscar nomination for Best Actress.
- 101 Dalmatians (1996) – Glenn terrified children everywhere as the cruel fur-obsessed villain Cruella de Vil in this live-action remake. The film grossed over $320 million worldwide.
- Albert Nobbs (2011) – Glenn was nominated for an Oscar for her heartbreaking turn as a woman who disguises herself as a man in 19th century Ireland to find work.
- The Shield (2002) – Glenn won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her complex performance as Capt. Monica Rawling, the first female police captain on the gritty cop drama.
- Damages (2007-2012) – Glenn starred as the ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes and served as executive producer on the critically acclaimed legal thriller series. She won two Emmys for her performance.
- The Wife (2017) – Glenn garnered her third Oscar nomination for her restrained but powerful performance in this drama about a woman who questions her life choices.
- The Real Thing (1983) – Glenn won her first Tony Award for playing an actress opposite Jeremy Irons in Tom Stoppard’s witty, sophisticated play about love and infidelity.
- Death and the Maiden (1992) – Glenn won her second Tony for playing a woman who believes she’s found the doctor who once tortured her in this drama by Ariel Dorfman.
- Sunset Boulevard (1995) – Glenn won her third Tony for her tour-de-force performance as faded silent film star Norma Desmond in this Broadway adaptation of the classic film.
Glenn Close’s Net Worth
According to multiple net worth calculators, Glenn Close has an estimated net worth of $50 million.
This hefty net worth is the result of Glenn’s 5+ decade career as one of the most respected and sought-after actresses in Hollywood. While she is renowned for choosing quality over quantity when it comes to roles, Glenn’s films have made impressive box office returns over the years. Dangerous Liaisons, Fatal Attraction, 101 Dalmatians and Guardians of the Galaxy are some of her films that grossed over $100 million each worldwide.
In television, Glenn earns around $200,000 per episode when she’s the lead actress in a series. For instance, she made $200k per episode for her starring role in the legal thriller Damages. She was also paid handsomely for her appearances in The Shield and The Wife.
Glenn has also earned big paydays for her stage work on Broadway. Top Broadway actors can make between $2,000 to $20,000 per week depending on the play, and Glenn likely earned top dollar given her star power and following critically acclaimed performances.
Additional revenue streams that contribute to Glenn Close’s massive net worth include:
- Endorsement deals and sponsorships with brands like Nespresso
- Income from production company Trillium Productions which produced films like Albert Nobbs
- Real estate investments in properties in New York, Florida and Montana
- Lucrative speaking engagements and appearances
Given Glenn’s prolific career that’s still going strong in her 70s, her net worth will likely continue rising in the coming years. While an Oscar win still eludes her, Glenn Close is still one of the richest and most respected actresses alive today.
Glenn Close’s Houses
The multimillionaire actress owns several lavish homes across the United States:
Glenn Close owns a beautiful 4-story townhouse on the Upper East Side of Manhattan purchased in the 1980s. The 4,000 square foot home with brick and limestone facade includes:
- 5 bedrooms
- Multiple marble fireplaces
- Spiral staircase
- Garden terrace
With Manhattan real estate prices soaring, this townhouse could easily be worth over $20 million today.
Florida Beach House
In 2018, Glenn purchased a stunning 3 bedroom beach house in Fernandina Beach, Florida for $2.85 million. The 3,000 square foot home situated on 1.2 acres features:
- Panoramic ocean views
- Open living spaces
- Spa bathroom with sauna
- Lap pool
Glenn owns a rustic ranch property called The Double K Ranch spanning 600 acres near Bozeman, Montana purchased in 2012 for $4.3 million. The ranch includes:
- A main log cabin residence
- Two guest cabins
- Stables and barn
- Forests and open land
Glenn retreats to the ranch to unwind from her busy career. She grows her own produce and enjoys outdoor activities like hiking on the expansive property.
Glenn Close Personal Life and Relationships
While Glenn Close keeps her personal life private, here are some insights into her past relationships and family:
- Glenn has been married three times – to Cabot Wade (1969–1971), James Marlas (1984–1987), and David Evans Shaw (1995-2015). All the marriages ended in divorce.
- She has one daughter, actress Annie Starke, with producer John Starke. Annie actually played a young version of Glenn’s character in The Wife.
- Glenn had a long term relationship with producer John Hurt from 1987 to 1991.
- She was engaged to carpenter Steve Beers in 1995.
- Glenn considers actress Meryl Streep one of her closest friends in the industry. They both lived in Greenwich Village in the late 70s trying to make it as actresses.
Despite divorces and breakups, Glenn does not have any regrets. In her own words – “I have learned that my life is a lot richer emotionally when I have someone I love dearly.”
The fiercely private actress chooses to keep the focus on her illustrious career and body of work rather than her personal relationships and family life.
Glenn Close’s Advocacy and Charity Work
Beyond acting, Glenn dedicates time to social causes close to her heart:
- Glenn is the founding board member of Bring Change to Mind, an organization working to end mental health discrimination. Her sister Jessie struggles with bipolar disorder.
- She wants to help remove the stigma around mental illness. Glenn has said, “I think it’s the greatest social injustice in our society.”
- Glenn has been a champion for advancing LGBTQ+ rights and acceptance. She has family members and close friends who are gay.
- She supports LGBTQ organizations like The Trevor Project and AIDS research foundations like amfAR.
- Glenn purchased a ranch in Montana in part to conserve its natural land and prevent over-development.
- She supports conservation groups like Panthera that work to protect wild cats and their ecosystems.
Despite her fame and fortune, Glenn remains dedicated to using her platform to benefit social causes and nonprofit organizations. Her generosity and advocacy only add to her inspiring legacy.
Interesting Facts About Glenn Close
There is much more to Glenn Close than her on-screen roles. Here are some intriguing facts about the award-winning actress:
- Glenn is a 6-time Academy Award nominee, tying the record for most acting nominations without a win.
- She was born in Greenwich, Connecticut and had a privileged upbringing. Her father was a surgeon who was the personal doctor of the Congo’s president.
- Glenn studied anthropology and drama at the College of William & Mary. She struggled with anxiety and only found her passion for acting at age 22.
- She is the second cousin of actress Brooke Shields.
- Glenn rejects the label of “femme fatale” and has campaigned against typecasting of older actresses.
- She trained in Method acting techniques at the Actor’s Studio and worked on Broadway before breaking into film.
- Glenn is a dog lover and her instagram is filled with adorable pics of her pet dogs.
- She sang with rocker My Morning Jacket at the band’s New Year’s Eve show in 2011 after becoming friends with frontman Jim James.
- Glenn suffers from prosopagnosia or “face blindness” – the inability to recognize familiar faces including close friends.
- She was the first big-name actress to do a Marvel movie with Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and helped lend dramatic credence to superhero films.
From her unconventional path to fame to her quirky hobbies, Glenn Close has always defied expectations. These interesting facts provide more insights into this Hollywood icon.
Top Performances by Glenn Close
Glenn Close has delivered phenomenal performances playing a wide variety of characters over her decades-long career. Here are her 5 most memorable roles ranked:
Patty Hewes in Damages (2007-2012)
Glenn was chilling as high-stakes litigator Patty Hewes, a cunning and corrupt attorney who manipulates people. Her complex performance earned her two Emmys.
Marquise de Merteuil in Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Glenn embodied the scheming, seductive Marquise who deceives lovers for sport in this period drama. Her cunning socialite was unforgettable.
Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard (1993 Broadway)
As faded silent film star Norma Desmond in Andrew Lloyd Weber’s musical, Glenn gave an extravagant yet poignant performance that earned rave reviews.
Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction (1987)
Glenn’s terrifying performance as spurned lover Alex in this smash-hit thriller remains one of her most iconic roles. She made audiences afraid of bunny rabbits.
Tamora, Queen of the Goths in Titus (1999)
In Julie Taymor’s bold Shakespeare adaptation, Glenn was at the height of her powers as bloodthirsty Queen Tamora. Her performance was called “one of the most daring in modern movies.”
Whether playing an aristocratic sophisticate or a vengeance-fueled queen, Glenn Close is a true chameleon capable of dissolving into any character. These roles showcase her incredible talents.
In summary, Glenn Close is estimated to have a net worth of $50 million from her esteemed acting career spanning theater, film, and television. She owns luxurious homes in Manhattan, Florida, and Montana. Glenn has been married three times and has one daughter. Beyond acting, she is known for her philanthropy supporting mental health and conservation causes.
While an Oscar has eluded Glenn Close, she has nothing left to prove. Her chameleonic transformations, celebrated performances, and advocacy work have cemented her status as a true Hollywood legend. At 75 years old, Close shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Her net worth will likely continue rising as she captivates audiences with her talent and passion in future roles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Glenn Close’s Net Worth
How did Glenn Close make her money and become so wealthy?
Glenn Close earned the bulk of her $50 million net worth from her acclaimed acting career spanning over 40 years. She commands high salaries for films and TV shows, especially when she is the lead star. Close also earned significant income from Broadway shows, theater productions, endorsements, investments, and production company profits.
What are Glenn Close’s biggest movies in terms of box office?
Some of Glenn Close’s highest-grossing movies include 101 Dalmatians ($320 million worldwide), Fatal Attraction ($320 million), and Guardians of the Galaxy ($773 million). These box office smashes contributed significantly to her wealth.
How much property and real estate does Glenn Close own?
Glenn Close has an estimated $20+ million townhouse in Manhattan, a $3 million beach house in Florida, and a $4 million ranch in Montana spanning 600 acres. Her property portfolio is worth over $25 million.
Has Glenn Close ever won an Academy Award (Oscar)?
No, surprisingly Glenn Close has never won an Oscar despite being nominated 8 times. This makes her the actress with the most nominations without ever winning, tying Peter O’Toole’s record. She has won 3 Tony Awards and 3 Emmys however.
What does Glenn Close spend her fortune on?
Close spends her multi-million dollar fortune responsibly. She invests in real estate, supports various charities, funds her production company, and lives comfortably but not extravagantly. Close also set up trust funds for her daughter and nieces & nephews.