Ed Sheeran is an English singer-songwriter who has become one of the world’s best-selling music artists. He began his career independently, releasing his own EPs and playing small gigs around England. His breakout came in 2011 when he released his debut album “+” (pronounced “Plus”). The album contained the hit singles “The A Team” and “Lego House” and sold over 3 million copies worldwide.
Sheeran continued his rise to fame over the next few years. His sophomore album “x” (pronounced “Multiply”) was released in 2014 and contained the smash hit “Thinking Out Loud.” He also began collaborating with other top artists like Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber, providing vocals and co-writing songs. This increased his exposure significantly.
In 2017, Sheeran released his third album “÷” (pronounced “Divide”) which became the best-selling album worldwide that year with over 15 million copies sold. Major hits included “Shape of You,” “Castle on the Hill,” and “Perfect.” At this point, Sheeran had solidified himself as one of the most popular and successful artists in pop music.
His latest album, 2021’s “=”, has also been a huge success led by the singles “Bad Habits” and “Shivers.” Sheeran has won 4 Grammy Awards and 6 Billboard Music Awards over the course of his prolific career so far. He has an estimated 150 million records sold globally.
Ed Sheeran’s Net Worth
According to multiple reputable outlets, Ed Sheeran’s current net worth is estimated to be around $220 million as of 2023.
This net worth comes from his enormous success in record and ticket sales over his decade-long career. For example, his 2017-2019 Divide Tour grossed over $776 million, making it the highest-grossing tour of all time.
Sheeran also earns significant royalties from radio airplay, YouTube views, and streaming revenue. His songs have billions of plays across platforms like Spotify. “Shape of You” itself has over 3 billion streams.
Additionally, Sheeran has lucrative endorsement deals with companies like Heinz Ketchup. He also has his own record label, Gingerbread Man Records, and has made savvy investments in companies like Uber.
The singer continues to earn tens of millions per year at the height of his career. His 2022 earnings alone were estimated around $64 million. As he releases new albums and tours in the future, his net worth is expected to keep growing.
Breakdown of Ed Sheeran’s Major Sources of Income
Here is a breakdown of Ed Sheeran’s main sources of income that contribute to his $220 million net worth:
- Record sales: Over 150 million records sold worldwide. His albums regularly sell millions of copies.
- Touring revenue: His tours gross hundreds of millions. The Divide Tour grossed over $776 million from 2017-2019.
- Streaming royalties: On Spotify alone, Sheeran has over 72 million monthly listeners. His songs have billions of streams.
- YouTube revenue: Ed Sheeran is the 5th most-viewed artist on YouTube with over 30 billion views.
- Songwriting credits: Sheeran earns royalties for writing hits for other artists like Justin Bieber.
- Endorsements and sponsorships: Has deals with brands like Heinz, vaguard, and Apple.
- Real estate investments: Sheeran has invested in property in London, his home county of Suffolk, and other parts of the UK.
- Business investments: He has invested in companies like Uber and his own record label Gingerbread Man Records.
The combination of these diverse income sources from his music as well as savvy financial decisions have allowed Ed Sheeran to amass a fortune of over $220 million. He is one of the richest and most successful British artists of all time.
How Much Did Ed Sheeran Earn From His Most Recent Tour?
Ed Sheeran’s most recent tour in support of his album Divide ran from 2017 to 2019. It became the highest-grossing tour of all time, grossing over $776 million.
According to financial statements, the Divide Tour grossed the following amounts each year:
- 2017: $119 million
- 2018: $432 million
- 2019: $225 million
In total, the Divide Tour grossed $776.2 million over 893 days.
This absolutely staggering amount made it the highest-grossing tour ever. For context, it grossed over $200 million more than the previous record holder, U2’s 360 Tour which grossed $576 million.
Sheeran managed to sell out massive stadium shows all over the world including Wembley Stadium in London. He performed for over 9 million fans across 6 continents.
The Divide Tour further cemented Sheeran’s status as one of the biggest live acts in the world. It was a key source of revenue contributing to his $220 million net worth.
What Businesses and Investments Does Ed Sheeran Have?
In addition to his hugely successful music career, Ed Sheeran has made some savvy business and investment moves that contribute to his massive net worth:
- Gingerbread Man Records – Sheeran launched his own record label in 2015. He has signed artists like Jamie Lawson.
- Real estate – Sheeran has bought over $63 million in property across London, Suffolk, and other parts of England.
- Uber investment – Sheeran was an early investor in Uber. He invested $1.6 million which grew to a profit of over $10 million.
- Heinz Ketchup – Sheeran has a lucrative sponsorship deal with Heinz and appeared in their ketchup commercial in 2019.
- Apple Music – He has done various collaborations and exclusives with Apple Music, like Shot on iPhone videos.
- Restaurants/bars – Sheeran co-owns two restaurants in London – Bertie Blossoms and Notznosh.
- Song royalties – Owns stakes in songs he’s written for other artists like Justin Bieber and One Direction.
Sheeran has made smart moves by investing his money across different companies and assets, while also capitalizing on big endorsement and sponsorship deals at the height of his fame.
What Songs and Tours Have Contributed the Most to Ed Sheeran’s Net Worth?
While Ed Sheeran has found success with all of his albums, tours, and singles, there are a few key songs and tours that stand out for contributing significantly to his $220 million net worth:
Top Grossing Songs
- “Shape of You” – This 2017 single off of Sheeran’s album Divide is one of the best-selling singles of all time with over 3 billion streams. It topped charts worldwide.
- “Thinking Out Loud” – This ballad off Sheeran’s 2014 album x peaked at #2 in the US and has gone 8x platinum. Another of Sheeran’s biggest hits.
- “Perfect” – The fourth single from Divide in 2017, it became Sheeran’s second #1 song in the US and one of his biggest crossover pop hits.
Top Grossing Tours
- Divide Tour (2017-2019) – Grossing over $776 million, this tour in support of the album Divide became the highest-grossing tour ever.
- x Tour (2014-2015) – This tour in support of Sheeran’s album x grossed over $193 million from 3.7 million tickets sold.
- + Tour (2011-2012) – Sheeran’s first major tour after releasing his + album helped launch his career. It grossed $38 million.
Sheeran’s longevity and continued success has allowed him to accumulate a sizable fortune. But clearly certain songs and tours like “Shape of You” and the Divide Tour have been especially lucrative. They contributed enormously to his $220 million net worth.
How Much Does Ed Sheeran Make in a Year? Breakdown of His Annual Earnings
According to reports, here is a breakdown of Ed Sheeran’s annual earnings over the past few years:
2022 – $64 million The majority of Sheeran’s 2022 earnings come from his Mathematics Tour in support of his album =. Forbes estimated he grossed over $50 million from the tour’s North American leg alone. The rest comes from streaming royalties and YouTube revenue.
2021 – $53.8 million In 2021, Sheeran released his album = which immediately shot to #1. While he didn’t tour, the album’s success combined with streaming and publishing royalties led to tens of millions in revenue.
2019 – $110 million This was the final year of Sheeran’s massive 2-year Divide Tour, which grossed over $775 million total and became the highest-grossing tour ever.
2017 – $94 million Sheeran’s Shape of You was the biggest hit of 2017, while the Divide Tour grossed over $119 million in its first partial year. His total earnings topped $90 million.
2015 – $33.7 million Sheeran was still touring in support of his album x, while also co-writing the Justin Bieber hit “Love Yourself” which brought in royalties.
As these numbers illustrate, at the height of his career over the past 5 years, Ed Sheeran has been earning between $50 – $110+ million per year. His annual earnings continue to grow as he sells out huge stadium tours and has the biggest songs in the world.
How Much Does Ed Sheeran Make From Spotify?
As one of the most streamed artists on Spotify, Ed Sheeran earns significant revenue from the platform. He currently has:
- 72.4 million monthly listeners on Spotify
- Over 59 billion total streams
Based on Spotify’s average “per stream” payout to artists of $0.003 to $0.005, this means Sheeran earns somewhere around:
$177,000 – $295,000 per day from Spotify streams
That amounts to $65 million – $108 million+ per year from Spotify alone.
Sheeran’s most popular songs also likely pay out at a higher per-stream rate thanks to their premium popularity. For example, “Shape of You” earns Sheeran about $250,000 every month.
Spotify is a massive source of recurring income for a hit artist like Sheeran. Given his tens of billions of total streams, he earns upwards of $50 million yearly just from this one platform.
How Much Does Ed Sheeran Make From Concerts and Tours?
As one of the world’s biggest concert draws, touring is also a significant source of income for Ed Sheeran.
For example, his most recent tour in support of his album Divide grossed over $776 million from 2017-2019. It became the highest-grossing tour ever.
On average, Sheeran grosses over $200 million per tour cycle which usually lasts 1-2 years.
Based on typical concert economics, artists earn an average of 90% of gross tour revenue after expenses like overhead, staff, and production costs.
This means if Sheeran grosses $200 million on a tour, he likely takes home around $180 million in net earnings.
And that’s without considering substantial merchandise sales from each show, which can often bring in millions extra.
Needless to say, Sheeran’s sold-out stadium shows have been a huge driver of his wealth and continue to pad his net worth with tens of millions per tour.
How Much Does Ed Sheeran Make From YouTube?
With over 30 billion lifetime video views, Ed Sheeran is the #5 most-viewed artist on YouTube. Only artists like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift have been viewed more times.
YouTube is another significant revenue source for Sheeran. Reportedly, his channel earns:
- 130 million views per month
- Over $600,000 per month in income
This adds up to $7+ million per year that Sheeran earns directly from YouTube ad revenue.
Much of this income comes from his most popular videos:
- “Shape of You” – 2.9 billion views
- “Thinking Out Loud” – 2.9 billion views
- “Photograph” – 2.5 billion views
- “Perfect” – 2.3 billion views
At any given time, Ed Sheeran likely has at least 5-10 videos driving significant income through YouTube. It’s yet another example of his content earning big money across multiple platforms.
How Much Has Ed Sheeran Made From Songwriting?
While known first and foremost as a singer, Ed Sheeran is also an accomplished songwriter who has written big hits for other top artists.
Sheeran has earned substantial royalties and income from songwriting credits such as:
- “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber – Sheeran co-wrote this #1 hit single.
- “Little Things” by One Direction – Another #1 hit co-written by Sheeran.
- “18” by One Direction – Sheeran has at least 26 songwriting credits for One Direction.
- “Everything Has Changed” by Taylor Swift – Sheeran duetted with Swift on this hit single he co-wrote.
Sheeran has also written songs for artists like Faith Hill, Jessie Ware, Anne-Marie, and Eminem.
While exact figures aren’t known, reports estimate Sheeran earns over $10 million per year from songwriting royalties alone. This is a significant income stream that contributes to his net worth.
As one of the most successful pop songwriters of the past decade, Sheeran earns big money even when other artists are performing his songs.
What Major Endorsement Deals Does Ed Sheeran Have?
Ed Sheeran’s global fame and status as a pop superstar make him a prime target for high-paying endorsement deals. Reportedly, some of Sheeran’s biggest and most lucrative deals include:
- Heinz Ketchup – Sheeran reportedly earned $8 million for starring in a UK ad for Heinz tomato ketchup in 2019.
- Vanguard – American finance company Vanguard paid Sheeran an undisclosed 7-figure sum to promote their brand.
- Apple Music – Sheeran has done multiple exclusive concert films with Apple Music.
- Guinness – Sheeran previously had a deal to promote Guinness around his native UK.
- Taylor Guitars – Sheeran regularly plays and endorses Taylor acoustic guitars.
- Adidas – Sheeran teamed up with Adidas to release some co-designed shoes and apparel.
These deals offer quick cash injections for Sheeran directly into the millions. Sponsorships with big brands are a smart way for music stars like Sheeran to further monetize their success.
Is Ed Sheeran’s Wealth Growing? What Does the Future Hold?
At just 31 years old, Ed Sheeran is already one of the wealthiest musicians in the UK and the world. His estimated net worth of $220 million will likely continue growing for years to come through music, touring, investments and endorsements.
Analysts predict some potential factors that will increase Sheeran’s net worth over the next decade:
- Releasing at least 1-2 more hit albums and embarking on more record-grossing tours as he continues his career
- Earning greater royalties as streaming and YouTube grow, and his back catalog racks up more listens
- Mature business investments like his label and real estate holdings increasing in value
- Landing more high-dollar endorsement deals while his fame is still near its peak
- Co-writing more hit songs for pop stars and collecting lucrative songwriting royalties
Barring any huge setbacks, experts estimate Ed Sheeran’s net worth could potentially double to around $400-500 million within the next 10 years.
Of course, this is assuming he continues having success musically and making shrewd financial moves. His fortune will depend on the trajectory of his career. But at just 31, Sheeran still seems poised for many more highly-lucrative years ahead as one of the world’s most popular artists.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ed Sheeran’s Net Worth
How did Ed Sheeran get rich and famous?
Ed Sheeran got rich and famous from his globally successful music career. He broke through as an independent artist, then had international smash albums stacked with hit singles like “Thinking Out Loud” and “Shape of You”. He also toured the world playing sold-out shows. This enabled him to amass a $220 million fortune.
What was Ed Sheeran’s breakthrough?
Ed Sheeran’s breakthrough came in 2011 with the release of his major label debut album “+”. It topped the UK charts led by singles like “The A Team” and “Lego House”, going on to sell over 3 million copies. This success kicked off his career.
How much does Ed Sheeran make from touring?
Ed Sheeran grosses over $200 million per tour on average. His highest-grossing tour was the Divide Tour from 2017-2019 which grossed an astonishing $776 million. After expenses, he likely nets around $150-180 million per tour cycle.
What is Ed Sheeran’s most viewed YouTube video?
Ed Sheeran’s most viewed YouTube video is “Shape of You” with over 2.9 billion views. His other top videos are “Thinking Out Loud”, “Photograph” and “Perfect”, all with over 2 billion views. Sheeran earns millions yearly from YouTube.
How much has Ed Sheeran made from songwriting?
While exact figures are unknown, Ed Sheeran earns over an estimated $10 million per year from songwriting royalties. He has co-written major