John Gavin Malkovich is an American actor, director, and producer who has been performing for over 5 decades. He first rose to prominence in the 1980s and has appeared in more than 70 films that have grossed over $2 billion worldwide. Though he typically plays eccentric or sinister characters, Malkovich is highly respected for his versatility and commitment to his roles.
What is John Malkovich’s Net Worth?
John Malkovich’s net worth is estimated to be $60 million as of 2023, according to multiple net worth estimation sites.
The majority of his wealth comes from his long and successful acting career spanning theater, film, and television. He has also earned income from directing and producing various projects over the years.
John Malkovich has a net worth of $60 million primarily from his extensive acting work in theater, TV and film. Image source: imdb.com
Malkovich has proven to be a reliable and compelling character actor capable of disappearing into many memorable roles.
His unconventional onscreen presence and gravitas have earned him paychecks and acclaim since the 1980s.
While not often the leading man, he commands healthy salaries by being a versatile supporting player and respected member of the Hollywood community.
How Did John Malkovich Build His Net Worth?
John Malkovich built his steady net worth primarily through:
- Film acting roles – Malkovich earns at least a few million dollars per major movie role. Some of his highest-grossing films include Con Air, In the Line of Fire, Being John Malkovich, Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Red 2.
- Television productions – He has appeared in and produced several TV series over the years including Crossbones, The New Pope, Space Force and The ABC Murders. These provide additional income streams.
- Theater acting & directing – Early in his career, Malkovich performed in many theater productions and helped co-found the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, establishing his acting credentials.
- **Film production company – **Malkovich founded the production company Mr. Mudd with Lianne Halfon in 1996. The company has produced over 30 indie films which have provided backend revenues.
- Investments – It is likely Malkovich has made smart investments in stocks, real estate and other businesses over the years helping grow his net worth.
- Brand partnerships – Malkovich has done endorsement deals with brands like Prada and Apple helping increase his wealth.
He has also managed to keep his expenses fairly modest for a celebrity of his stature leading to steady accumulation of wealth. Despite fluctuating acting salaries, Malkovich has built fortune that should easily last into retirement years without lavish spending.
What is John Malkovich Best Known For?
John Malkovich is best known for playing eccentric, sinister and downright weird characters in movies and television. He first rose to fame with breakthrough performances in theater and his Oscar-nominated role in Places in the Heart (1984).
However, most film audiences recognize him from playing the outrageous and arrogant narcissist in Being John Malkovich (1999). Other memorable roles include the villain in In The Line of Fire (1993), Cyrus “The Virus” Grissom in Con Air (1997), and humorous performances in comedies like RED (2010) and its 2013 sequel.
Some of John Malkovich’s most popular and highest grossing films highlighting his unconventional characters.
Additionally, Malkovich portrayed the restless Blackbeard in the pirate drama series Crossbones (2014). He also recently played the satirical role of the new head science advisor Dr. Adrian Mallory in Space Force (2020).
In over 5 decades on screen, John Malkovich has proven his ability to adapt to any role while bringing his quirky energy and presence. Though rarely the top billed star, audiences can count on him to liven up a scene when he appears on screen.
John Malkovich’s Career Earnings Over the Years
As Malkovich does not reveal his exact salaries for films, his earnings from various acting projects can only be estimated. Here is a general timeline of his career earnings over the years:
- 1970s – During his early theater days and bit film parts, Malkovich likely earned a few thousand per role while establishing himself.
- Early 1980s – Began earning $10,000+ for minor film roles after leaving Chicago for New York. Wins award for Places in the Heart bringing attention.
- Late 1980s – After acclaim in theater and earning an Oscar nom, salaries likely rose to a few hundred thousand per major film.
- 1990-2000 – During his peak busy years doing movies like In the Line of Fire, Con Air and Being John Malkovich, he commanded over $1 million per film.
- 2000-2010 – Continued earning 7 figure salaries for selective supporting roles in mainstream films like Ripley’s Game and RED.
- 2010-present – Still paid over $500,000+ for movie parts but focuses more on passion indie films and producing.
So in total since the 1980s, Malkovich may have earned $50-60 million just from film acting fees over his long career before taxes and expenses. His other income sources from theater, directing and production have likely earned him another $10 million or so.
In all, John Malkovich’s unconventional filmography has brought him both acclaim and wealth few character actors ever achieve.
Has John Malkovich Won Any Awards for His Acting?
Yes, John Malkovich has received numerous award wins and nominations recognizing both his film and stage acting over his long career. His major acting awards include:
- 1984: Nominated for Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for Places in the Heart
- 1985: Won Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries for Death of a Salesman
- 1989: Won Best Supporting Actor awards from National Society of Film Critics and New York Film Critics Circle for Dangerous Liaisons
- 2008: Won Theatre World Award for Outstanding Broadway Debut for The Good Canary
- 2013: Won Moliere Award for Best Actor for The Giacomo Variations
He has also been nominated for 2 other Oscars, 3 Golden Globes and many other critics awards for film and television performances over the decades.
Additionally, he has won awards at major film festivals for some of the films he has produced and directed including Knockaround Guys, Juno and Ghost World.
So while the pinnacle of winning a competitive Best Actor Oscar has eluded him, John Malkovich’s acting talents have been recognized many times by top entertainment organizations.
What is John Malkovich’s Background Before Fame?
John Malkovich was born in Illinois in 1953 and showed artistic talent from a young age before making his professional stage debut in 1976. Image source: wired.com
Before becoming famous, John Gavin Malkovich had an artistic, intellectual upbringing and showed talents for creativity and performance from an early age. Some key facts about his background include:
- Born on December 9, 1953 in Christopher, Illinois
- Parents were Daniel Leon Malkovich (state conservation director) and Joe Anne (née Choisser; passed away in 1974)
- Had 3 older sisters and 1 younger brother
- Was described as having an aloof, contemplative nature as a child
- Attended local public school Benton Consolidated High School where he took up creative hobbies like painting and played junior varsity football
- In high school, made stage debut in plays like Carousel gaining attention for talents
- After graduating in 1972, attended Eastern Illinois University where he continued performing in plays while majoring in theater
- Taught one year of theater at a Chicago high school after college while networking in city arts scene
- Helped found the influential Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago in 1976
- Made professional theater debut in 1976 in Steppenwolf’s The Glass Menagerie
- Moved to NYC in 1982 to expand career where he did off-Broadway shows and landed film role in Places in the Heart
So from smalltown Illinois roots, young Malkovich showed early creative promise that foreshadowed his unconventional path from unknown theater performer to respected Hollywood character acting legend.
What is John Malkovich’s Family and Relationship History?
In his personal life, John Malkovich has been married twice and has two children from long-term relationships.
- In 1982, Malkovich married fellow theater performer Glenne Headly after 4 years of dating. They divorced in 1988 shortly before he gained major fame. No children.
- He then had a relationship in 1989-1995 with director/producer Nicole Avril with whom he has 2 children: daughter Loewy (born 1990) and son Amandine (born 1992).
- In 2003, Malkovich began a relationship with Russian fashion designer and stylist Nicoletta Peyran. They never married but were together for over 10 years before separating around 2015.
- In 2019, Malkovich revealed he was engaged to46-year old Romanian business executive Daniela DeCarlo. It is unclear if they ever married as little is shared about his private life now.
So while he focuses intensely on his creative pursuits, John Malkovich does have long-term relationships that show his loyalty and family commitment side as well. He values his privacy which allows him to take on roles and risks many public stars avoid.
Interesting Facts About John Malkovich
- Malkovich does not have social media accounts or a cell phone finding them to be distractions
- He speaks fluent French (and some other languages) due to his time living Europe with an international theater group in his 20s
- Along with acting, he is also an acclaimed fashion photographer which brings in added income
- In 2011, Malkovich revealed he had been robbed 4 times in shootings and muggings over the years in New York
- He owns a small luxury clothing brand Uncle Kimono founded in 2003
- In 2002, John went through a unique art installation exhibit called “Being John Malkovich” allowing people to see the world through his eyes for 15 minutes
- Known for having intellectual personality and discussing topics like history and scientific theory when not acting
- Malkovich even created his own made-up language called “Malkovich” which he sometimes utters in films
- Ironically, despite playing confident scoundrels on screen, he claims to be somewhat insecure and self-loathing in real life
This unique mix of talents, quirks and candor makes up the one of a kind performer and character that is John Malkovich – one of Hollywood’s most respected unconventional actors.
In summary, versatile actor John Malkovich has accumulated an impressive net worth of $60 million over his 40+ year acting career in theater, television and film productions.
Though often a supporting character actor, Malkovich’s intense performances and unconventional screen presence have made him one of Hollywood’s most respected talents since coming to prominence in the 1980s.
The two-time Oscar nominee has appeared in over 70 films grossing billions worldwide. During his peak years starting in the 90s, he commanded multi-million dollar salaries that along with backend profits have steadily grown his current fortune.
While now very selective with roles focusing on passion projects, Malkovich’s highly intellectual and eccentric off-screen personality has only enhanced his mystique as an actor.
As he enters his 70s, John Malkovich’s net worth should allow him to continue taking creative risks and leave behind a acting legacy very few ever achieve in show business thanks to his bold career choices.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is John Malkovich worth in 2023?
As of 2023, sources estimate John Malkovich’s net worth to be $60 million. The majority of his wealth comes from acting fees over his 50+ year career in theater, film and television.
What was John Malkovich’s breakthrough role?
Malkovich’s breakthrough performances came from his acclaimed stage work and Oscar-nominated supporting role in the film Places in the Heart (1984). This established him as a serious actor leading to starring roles.
How much money does John Malkovich make per movie?
During his peak busy years in the 1990s-early 2000s, Malkovich typically earned between $1-2 million in salary per major movie role. Now he still commands fees of $500,000 or more for films.
Has John Malkovich ever been ranked on Forbes lists?
While respected as an actor, John Malkovich has a smaller net worth than many A-list movie stars. He has never appeared ranked on lists like The World’s Highest-Paid Actors by Forbes.
What was John Malkovich’s biggest paycheck as an actor?
Malkovich’s top earning films where he likely scored his biggest single acting paydays were: Con Air (1997) with estimated $2 million salary, Being John Malkovich (1999) also around $2 million, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) with over $750,000 salary.
Is John Malkovich married?
Malkovich has been married twice – to Glenne Headly (1982-1988) and most recently announcing his engagement in 2019 to Romanian executive Daniela DeCarlo. He was also in a long-term relationship with director Nicoletta Peyran from 1989-2015 with whom he had 2 children.